Passow's All Grain Equiptment Project

Well, didn't want to keep hijacking the other thread with pics and discriptions, so here we go. The project so far. I've got almost all of the parts needed but I'm waiting on a 1/2" Brass bulkhead that I had to order off the net. Here's a pic of some of the equiptment so far:

conversionpic1.jpg

The Keg on the left will be where I boil the wort (it's called a Keggle). Still have to install the spout and dip tube w/ filter. The cooler on the right with be my mashing unit where the grains will be kept at a certain temp for a certain time to properly convert all the sugars into fermentables (also have to install the spout...darn bulkhead is holding me up).

The whole set up will probably be complete within a few weeks. Parts I still need: Turkey Fryer base with propain tank and a 5 gallon cooler which will serve as my hot water tank for sparging. Not pictured, miselanious parts, tubing, cpvc filter.

More updates when they become available will be posted.

Hmmm. Can't tell from the pic but what metal is the Keggle? Aluminum would be bad. You'll need another cooler also to put the wort chiller unless you're going to use the same unit as you mash.

My system for mashing is to do it right in the pot I'm going to boil the wort. Raise the heat with the gas stove and cold water on hand to slow it down if it raise's too fast and goes over the target temp.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Hmmm. Can't tell from the pic but what metal is the Keggle? Aluminum would be bad. You'll need another cooler also to put the wort chiller unless you're going to use the same unit as you mash.

My system for mashing is to do it right in the pot I'm going to boil the wort. Raise the heat with the gas stove and cold water on hand to slow it down if it raise's too fast and goes over the target temp.

Cheers, TB.

It's stainless steel and it's an Anhieser Busch keg, mwahahahaha! It used to hold crappy beer and now it's going to be used to make good beer....that's irony for ya!

all grain?? Huh..... a fellow distiller?? If I am on the same page I have some "KILLER" recipes!!!

this pic is not of my set up but I run one very similar to it.....
nc_thumper.jpg

It is a Pot Still with a thumper ............ my set up runs off a propane burner not electric

imaguitargod said:
It's stainless steel and it's an Anhieser Busch keg, mwahahahaha! It used to hold crappy beer and now it's going to be used to make good beer....that's irony for ya!

Stainless is a good thing!!!! Aluminum will pit and leach

Dyce51 said:
all grain?? Huh..... a fellow distiller?? If I am on the same page I have some "KILLER" recipes!!!
Well, I have distilled in the past but have alot to learn in that area. This is for All grain beer brewing.

Maybe I can come over and sample some of your recipies?

I have 1 jar left at the moment. Once I get back from Florida I am going to start making a new wash (mash) More than likely it's gonna be a Dark Rum.

Dyce51 said:
I have 1 jar left at the moment. Once I get back from Florida I am going to start making a new wash (mash) More than likely it's gonna be a Dark Rum.

Are you in FLA now? When u getting back?

If you (or anybody else) wants any all-grain help, I have about 14 years' of experience, so I would be glad to lend a hand.

Steve973 said:
If you (or anybody else) wants any all-grain help, I have about 14 years' of experience, so I would be glad to lend a hand.

I appreciate the offer, Steve. I'm very well versed on the subject now (after reading 8 books on the subject and countless time spent on brewing forums) and have it pritty dialed in.

Back