beer Passow's First All Grain Brewing Day - Pictures

Well, after a four month building period, my All Grain Set Up got the the opperational stage and I brewed my beer on Sunday. It's my own recipe (Passow's Senatorial Brunette) and had some glitched that need to be ironed out (of which was I aimed for 5.5 gallons and got 7 gallons...oops! Need to cut down on the sparge water ammount). So here are th pics for the event:

The Set Up (from left to right: Hot Water Tank, Mash-tun, Iggy with mash paddle, Wort Boil Tank on turkey fryer stand with propain tank):
ag1.jpg

Can you tell I'm happy to be brewing again?
ag2.jpg

The Bottom of my Mash-tun:
ag3.jpg

Sparging!!!
ag4.jpg

Dyce51 said:
uhoh the 2 mad scientists are at it again!!!!! LOL!!!!! The set up looks great IGGY!!!

Thanks. Matt actually qualifies as a mad scientist for he is a Nuclear Enginer. He helped me design the all grain system.

imaguitargod said:
TB failing to realise that every picture was of the brewing process=Fail ;)

No. No pics of actual wort other than the "sparge" shot.

No "me adding the goldings hops.." or "adding the toasted malt" etc.

No steam coming from keg lauter tun.

And the biggest sin of all...no pic of a beer of any kind in your hand.

FAIL X 2

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:

FAIL X 2

Cheers, TB.

Novacastrian said:
I do believe that TB has you by the balls so to speak IGGY.

First Picture: The Water is boiling in the keg to get to the mashing temperature (beer was out of the shot, but I was drinking a Hefe by Bells)).

Picture 2: I was taking the mash tun down off it's purach to take a picture of the inside)

Pic 3: Inside before grain added

Pic 4: Spargine of corse:

Pic 5 and 6: Cooling the wort.

Novacastrian said:
Whats "sparging"?

Sparging is when you slowly drip water that's 170+ degrees Fairenheight through the grain bed. this both stops the starch to sugar conversion (locking in the amount of fermentables for the grain) and filtering them out of the tank into your boil ketle.

And TB, this is for you bro! Unfortunitly, I have the crappy digital camera that doesn't have a working flash, but here's the two fermentors with bier (one had a blow off tube).
ag7.jpg

texas blues said:

FAIL X 2

Cheers, TB.

BWAHAHAHHA! IGGY FAIL!

Most excellent pics.

Sparging then, the picture shows water dripping onto the grain bed. From what I can piece together, the valve at the bottom is releasing fluid? The same fluid that is passing through your grain bed?

And, as an engineer, picture number one is driving me crazy from the anticipation of top heavy objects being supported by narrow bases easily overcoming their center of gravity. I humbly request modifying your method of support. Looking at those bricks as your support is driving me crazy.

Diablo said:
And, as an engineer, picture number one is driving me crazy from the anticipation of top heavy objects being supported by narrow bases easily overcoming their center of gravity. I humbly request modifying your method of support. Looking at those bricks as your support is driving me crazy.

Yeah, that is a big Phat Phail waiting to happen. I know nothing about brewing so that caught my eye too. Please fix before you get a reason to cry:lol:

FiveStar said:
I see your upside down wild brazillian too! BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAH!
And my Rocoto and my Hop plant. ;)

Diablo said:
Sparging then, the picture shows water dripping onto the grain bed. From what I can piece together, the valve at the bottom is releasing fluid? The same fluid that is passing through your grain bed?
Yep, water drips into the bed forcing the sugar water through the plastic filter at the bottom (the grain bed acts as a filter too) and out the spiget in the bottom.

Diablo said:
Believe me, I'm building a support system soon, no way am I doing that set up again.

I have to concur a minor fail.;)

There were pics, but they could have almost been taken on a non brewing day! Sorry.

Watch the chiller water. The first outpourings can kill grass they are usually so hot.

cheezydemon said:
I have to concur a minor fail.;)

There were pics, but they could have almost been taken on a non brewing day! Sorry.
What? You can see the grain in the mash tun! It was a brew day! I say Cheezy fails. :lol:

cheezydemon said:
Watch the chiller water. The first outpourings can kill grass they are usually so hot.
Yep, we let it run on the driveway until it was cold, then we turned it onto the plants.

Back