• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Saved you a like today buddy! For someone that started their glog with what about a dozen everyday garden varieties you've put yourself together quite the pepper empire! Good things happen for good people man! I guess you really do reap what you sow...and in your case what someone else sowed as well!

Saved you a like today buddy! For someone that started their glog with what about a dozen everyday garden varieties you've put yourself together quite the pepper empire! Good things happen for good people man! I guess you really do reap what you sow...and in your case what someone else sowed as well!

How about saving me a space at the top of a page, dude :lol:
Thanks, bro, it's just about everyone pulling together, eh?
Got to admit THP is a pretty friendly place! I certainly never
anticipated this kind of on-line community and it's very cool.

How about saving me a space at the top of a page, dude :lol:
Thanks, bro, it's just about everyone pulling together, eh?
Got to admit THP is a pretty friendly place! I certainly never
anticipated this kind of on-line community and it's very cool.
That page topper was purely coincidence...and the fact that I spend more time on your glog than mine! This site helps me redeem myself from all the people I cut off in traffic daily...gotta get some yin with my yang.

Nice score paul! Can't wait to see the pics of everything when get it all outside. The embers or popping with flowers, that's awesome!
Aaron

You and me both, Aaron. I know summer starts in June here, but that doesn't
make it any easier to wait around! Hope your family is well and that
your grow is awesome!

That page topper was purely coincidence...and the fact that I spend more time on your glog than mine! This site helps me redeem myself from all the people I cut off in traffic daily...gotta get some yin with my yang.

I'm glad it serves a purpose :D for you, my friend, but I suspect you've already paid it forward many times over!

Update on Round Two seeds; germinated so far:

Orange Manzano (market) - 1/6 (helmet head death)​
Manzano (Shane) - 3/6​
Goat's Weed (Shane) - 3/4​
Wild Brazil (Shane) - 0/2 (haven't given up on this one, yet)​
Cherry type Hot (Friend) - 3/3​
Tepin 15 (Shane) - 2/2​
Tepin x ? (Shane) - 2/3 (edit - added)​
Costeño Amarillo (Fernando) - 4/6​
Mini Bells (market)​
Orange - 2/2​
Red - 3/3​
Yellow - 6/6​

Had a nice enough day today, so potted up the clones, and got some plants out to harden off a little.​

The chinense clones:​
DSCN4247a.jpg

A little hardening off:​
DSCN4248a.jpg

Hardening off on table top, clones on bench:​
DSCN4249a.jpg

These are the plants Spankycolts gave me yesterday. A little trimming​
and root pruning and into 1 gallon pots:​
DSCN4250a.jpg

More pics tomorrow I hope, if the weather cooperates. Thanks for looking and keep​
those grows goin' strong!​

Man! Slow day for updates! I have been checking my content over and over...was really excited to see you posted! Those plants found a great home...your green thumb is going to really make them amazing. Going to be really upset it those Wild Brazils don't pop for you. Mine went 100%???

By the way...every time you post some outdoor pics we get a bit more of the Paul puzzle! You got some really neat stuff going on out there. When do we get a vid of the whole layout?

Man! Slow day for updates! I have been checking my content over and over...was really excited to see you posted! Those plants found a great home...your green thumb is going to really make them amazing. Going to be really upset it those Wild Brazils don't pop for you. Mine went 100%???

Just keeping my head above water with updates and doing a rotten job of
visiting grow logs. When the weather was really bad, it was easier to find
some time to browse the forum. Now that the weather is decent, I'm outside
all the time, and haven't taken any really interesting photos. I haven't given
up on those WB! On the other hand, I'm very happy about the two tepins sprouting : )

Thanks for being a loyal visitor, my friend.

Looking great Paul- nice lookin set up, maybe some of that organization will will rub off on me....
You said a mouthful-everyone can tell when I get home and get to work in the garden/peppers-my online presence immediately diminishes, but that is a direct result of getting so amped up from everyone on here , and its time to hit the dirt.
There is always going to be a WTF factor with seed starts...pretty frustrating sometimes, all mine start, send em to someone else, and they don't...RRRR.
Good luck with the tepins...and those pesky WB's!

I only got one Manzano seed to sprout before and it had helmet head death as well. I am wondering if you are right about them being picked earlier or something. The ones I got come from Mexico as well. I think I'll try starting several today for one last shot so at least I can know if I should toss the rest of the seeds.

Your other plants are looking great! It should be a fun and eventful season for you - although it has been fun already, hasn't it? Keep up the great work and updates!

I only got one Manzano seed to sprout before and it had helmet head death as well. I am wondering if you are right about them being picked earlier or something. The ones I got come from Mexico as well. I think I'll try starting several today for one last shot so at least I can know if I should toss the rest of the seeds.

Your other plants are looking great! It should be a fun and eventful season for you - although it has been fun already, hasn't it? Keep up the great work and updates!
I have Manzano Yellow seeds I can send you if you like, all mine germinated in a week.

Paul your plants look amazing as always. I really love that Bolivian Rainbow, I have to remember to grow that one.

The Garden is looking awesome Paul! Hope that sun keeps pumpin for ya! Man congrats on the new plants too the look awesome. What is the plant to the left of the Ghost?

Paul it is looking great and the weather seems to be cooperating hopefully this season continues to bring you success. I am glad you enjoyed the package once I get a few fresh pods and fresh seeds I will send another thing out your way. What are the new additions to your garden?

Looking great Paul- nice lookin set up, maybe some of that organization will will rub off on me....
You said a mouthful-everyone can tell when I get home and get to work in the garden/peppers-my online presence immediately diminishes, but that is a direct result of getting so amped up from everyone on here , and its time to hit the dirt.
There is always going to be a WTF factor with seed starts...pretty frustrating sometimes, all mine start, send em to someone else, and they don't...RRRR.
Good luck with the tepins...and those pesky WB's!
Thanks, Dave - we all have our own 'style' of organization :cheers:

I wouldn't mind not visiting grow logs if I didn't miss the great information
and pix so much! It's hard to sit at the computer when I look out the window
and see ten tasks that need to be done! If it would just rain like heck for a
few days I could get caught up on my glogsploration!

I think the seeds are crazy :crazy: Why else would they be so fickle?
I guess the suspense is what keeps the interest up : ) Thanks for
looking in, Dave - keep growin' strong

I have Manzano Yellow seeds I can send you if you like, all mine germinated in a week.
Awesome, Andy! Go for it!
Paul your plants look amazing as always. I really love that Bolivian Rainbow, I have to remember to grow that one.

Thanks, hooda. They just kind of do their thing while I try to stay out of the way!
I can't wait to see the BR when it gets all the pod colors on it; should be a crazy
beautiful plant! Good growing to you,bro!

The Garden is looking awesome Paul! Hope that sun keeps pumpin for ya! Man congrats on the new plants too the look awesome. What is the plant to the left of the Ghost?

Unfortunately it looks like minimal sun for the next week or so, Britt.
Guess that's just the great part of living in the Pacific NorthWest!
On the other hand, it isn't freezing, either, so I guess I'm thankful
overall. Yeah, Robin's plants are awesome - I just wanted 4 chinense
plants for something a little different; now I have 21, What the heck
happened!? (edit: Oops, 23! Forgot about the Little Red Hab That Could
and a little slow growing Choc Hab!)

The plant next to the Ghost is a Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. I wasn't going to try
that one until next year!

Thanks for looking, buddy - have a good week!

Hey, Andy - good luck with those Yellow Manzano seeds of hooda's
when you get them! As for the others, if one germinated, others should
as well, it seems like. I think the next time I do Manzano seeds, I'll give
them some extra soak time to soften them up a bit more.

Your right about the fun so far this season! If we ever get to summer
weather, the happiness quotient will climb significantly!

Thanks for looking, Andy - have a good week!

Paul it is looking great and the weather seems to be cooperating hopefully this season continues to bring you success. I am glad you enjoyed the package once I get a few fresh pods and fresh seeds I will send another thing out your way. What are the new additions to your garden?

Thanks, Fernando! Glad you looked in. We get a little teaser of sun once
in a while, but still are a few weeks away from getting outside full time. I
left the annuums out on the shelf last night (low temp 50F) to see how they
would do. Forecast for tonight is for 41, so I will have to bring them back
in this afternoon. Right now, windy and rainy :tear:

But that's okay, cuz I know the sun is shining in socal, and someone's
peppers are going like crazy!

You are very kind, Fernando, thank you for sharing your seeds. I'm going to
get a few germinating today. I hope you have a good week with your peppers!

I decided to upgrade the hardening off shelf a little yesterday. I originally designed it for bonsai and jade
plants, but it is too blasted hot for them. Little did I realize it would morph into the perfect hardening off
shelf for pepper plants. I put some landscape fabric along the front to shade the pots a bit; when it's sunny
the pots get hot to the touch, and dry out quickly. Notice the pubescens on the right - the three branches
have really elongated. I also think it was too hot in the greenhouse for it, it looks much better outside in the
cooler weather:
DSCN4252a.jpg

The hinged roof panels protect from the rain, and can be
opened up and propped open when desired, and the shade
cloth frames protect from the hot sun:
DSCN4253a.jpg

At night, I can close the roof panels and drop the shades
down to protect from wind and blowing rain:
DSCN4257a.jpg

Sorry, no pepper pix today - when the weather cooperates : )
Until then, thanks for looking. Good growing to all!

Nice looking setup my friend! Just an FYI, the Manzanos I planted did the triple split, then double and doubled again quickly. Really trying to bush out. There is also new growth at the lower nodes, so their vinelike growth may be over. I will try to post a few pics of mine tomorrow. They have both doubled in size in the past few weeks. Hope you have the same luck with the ones you started! How is the germ tray looking? Any new developments?

Nice looking setup my friend! Just an FYI, the Manzanos I planted did the triple split, then double and doubled again quickly. Really trying to bush out. There is also new growth at the lower nodes, so their vinelike growth may be over. I will try to post a few pics of mine tomorrow. They have both doubled in size in the past few weeks. Hope you have the same luck with the ones you started! How is the germ tray looking? Any new developments?

Thanks, Shane; it may inhabit the upper tier of ghetto!

My pubescens hasn't started branching at
the nodes, yet, but the growth habit is as
you describe:
DSCN4264a.jpg

It looks much better having been outdoors for a couple of
nights; better color and more perky:
DSCN4263a.jpg

Can't wait to get that one in a big container!

Germination has come to a halt in the round #2 trays. The
seedlings that have emerged all look healthy.

Shane's Manzano (left column) and Goat's Weed:
DSCN4259a.jpg

top row: Cherry-type Hot, Shane's tepin x ?, Fernando's Costeño Amarrilo
middle row: Cherry-type Hot, empty, Fernando's Costeño Amarrilo
bottom row: Shane's Tepin 15, Fernando's Costeño Amarrilo, empty
DSCN4260a.jpg

Mini Bell seeds from grocery store package and some kind of peruvian
herb that I can't remember the name of:
DSCN4261a.jpg

So there you have it, my friend; thanks for asking, Shane.
You prodded me into an update! You fiend :twisted:

the growth habit is similar...mine just went higher first, then once it started branching it did it quick. Not much room between splits...may just be because mine is getting full sun all day??? One of my favorite plants so far...I like the Goat's Weed even better...really cool looking plants compared to the rest. Neither of them can be mistaken for anything else in the garden. I threw some of those Tepin X's in the ground about a week back, I hope I get some action too! All your seedlings look happy and healthy as expected!

Thanks, bro - I think more sun would definitey be beneficial to all my
plants! Good luck with your new Tepin x.

BTW Started some of Fernando's Peach Habanero, Purple
Tomatillo, and Giant Jalapeño soaking:
DSCN4262a.jpg

Will put these in starting mix later today. I'm going to try out some
Black Gold Seedling Mix just for fun.

Here's one for ya. I was looking over the pubescens this evening and saw a funny bump
at the base of the three branches:
DSCN4266a.jpg

I had to use my 7x lens to see what it is, it's so tiny, but it is a flower bud developing :)

Back