• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Lookn Good! You make me want to rig up a smoker! That looked sooo tasty :drooling:
It was really easy to do, just a little monitoring required. I'd like to find
out more about cold smoking, as Lando mentioned.

Thanks for looking!

Nice Pauly! I tried smoking jalapenos,and dehydrate after. Turned into black taffy. Harder to do those in my opinion than supers or thinner walled pods. Thinking I forced them along too fast.
Black taffy. Sounds great :sick:
I guess slow is better when it comes to smoking food.
I was worried that mine was too hot. I'll also lose the
foil next time, like Shane suggested.

Take it easy, Pr0d; have a great week.

How did the Poblanos powder up for you? Just another FYI I dehydrate thicker pods like the Manzanos and Jalapenos at least 24 hrs. They should be hard as a rock with no flex at all in them...or you'll either end up with taffy as Prod did or clumpy powder that will turn into a brick once bagged up.

That Wild Brazil should turn into a nice little bush for you. Both of mine are about 3.5 ft tall and loaded up. The pods shift color really quickly too. I pick them clean of all color daily and come out the next day to 20 or so ready to be picked again. It and the tepin are both awesome in that the pods just fall off in your hand when ready. My pequins are a PIA and require scissors to cut off. Did I send you Tepin and Pequin seeds? I would love a hit back on everything I sent if you can...I have given away most or all of my seed stock and regret it now that my plants are sick.

Great updates as usual . I agree about smoking the thick walled peppers. I will just stick to the supers . :onfire:

Pods are looking nice as well. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Great to see everything going well for you. I had a few stubborn plants as well not anymore hopefully they are all learning from each other that the one with the most and best pods will get my attention lol. Try posting your videos on photobucket. Hopefully you can do another walk through of the garden the last one was amazing.

Congo Trinidad in a #1 pot:
IMG_9590a.jpg

Chocolate Habanero in a #3. I posted pics of the pods on this one
before:
IMG_9591a.jpg

Unbelievable that these are clones. It was impressive enough when you cloned them and the grew leaves and greened out and everything, but there's something about seeing them LOADED with pods that makes it even more awesome.

How did the Poblanos powder up for you? Just another FYI I dehydrate thicker pods like the Manzanos and Jalapenos at least 24 hrs. They should be hard as a rock with no flex at all in them...or you'll either end up with taffy as Prod did or clumpy powder that will turn into a brick once bagged up.
I haven't powdered them yet. Have them in a gauze bag hanging
in the greenhouse to keep nice and dry until I can get a grinder.
Thanks for the tips; very helpful. They crack when I bend them at
this point.
That Wild Brazil should turn into a nice little bush for you. Both of mine are about 3.5 ft tall and loaded up. The pods shift color really quickly too. I pick them clean of all color daily and come out the next day to 20 or so ready to be picked again. It and the tepin are both awesome in that the pods just fall off in your hand when ready. My pequins are a PIA and require scissors to cut off. Did I send you Tepin and Pequin seeds? I would love a hit back on everything I sent if you can...I have given away most or all of my seed stock and regret it now that my plants are sick.
Hey, Shane. The Wild Brazil hasn't really started flowering yet.
We'll need a decent Fall to get many pods poff of it. It looks good
though, nice and healthy. Off the top of my head, you sent me
some Tepin 15 and some Tepin cross along with the Manzano and
Goat's Weed seeds.
I'll check to see what's left and send some your way. If I get some
pods, I can send that, too. I'll see if I have any other seeds around
I can bear to part with :D .

Here's a backlit pic of the tepin cross' fork; starting to flower! Fingers crossed
for pods before end of Sept! It's a about 18-24" tall at this point, with more
branches below the fork:
IMG_9598a.jpg

Have a good week, my friend!

Great updates as usual . I agree about smoking the thick walled peppers. I will just stick to the supers . :onfire:

Pods are looking nice as well. :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thanks, Jamie. This whole smoking pods thing is new for me
so I appreciate all the tips I can get! Is a Poblano considered
thick walled or thin?

Bountiful harvest to you, brother!

Speaking of pods, the Ghost pepper Spankycolts called "Casper"
has set a couple of small pods :fireball: :party: :
IMG_9593a.jpg

Maybe there is time for a few ripe ones by Fall!

The Naga Morich is really trying to pod up. There are a couple
about the size of the last joint of my little finger, and a lot that are
trying like heck to make it. If we have a few good days and they set,
there will be a decent amount on it! Whoop, whoop!!:
IMG_9594a.jpg

Great to see everything going well for you. I had a few stubborn plants as well not anymore hopefully they are all learning from each other that the one with the most and best pods will get my attention lol. Try posting your videos on photobucket. Hopefully you can do another walk through of the garden the last one was amazing.
Haha, Fernando - that is a great strategy. Better than killing one to
show the others what can happen if they don't produce!

I did try to post my vid to photobucket, but it wouldn't show up in
my post. I'm a video dork. I'd like to try another video, but am
hesitant if the results are no better than the last one.

Your plants are over the top, bro! Good on ya!

Unbelievable that these are clones. It was impressive enough when you cloned them and the grew leaves and greened out and everything, but there's something about seeing them LOADED with pods that makes it even more awesome.
Glad you like them, Andy! I have to admit that they are indeed
healthy and happy little test tube babies :shocked: I was amazed when
the Congo Trinidad in the little pot just started putting on pods
like crazy. I also have a germinated Choc Hab in a gallon that is
starting to put on pods! Maybe they are candidates for overwintering!
The big Congo T is also loaded with pods.

Your own grow is astounding, my friend; you are lighting up your
neighborhood (and congregation), for sure :twisted:

Hope everyone is having a good week. the weather here has been
very nice, not too hot, but plenty of sun moderated by morning and
scattered clouds. Nights in the 50's, days in the 70's and 80's.
Another month like this and we'll be good to go for most of the plants.
There will be some August hail if this is a typical year, just fingers
crossed that it's not too bad. Usually 1/4" to 3/8" is as big as our hail gets :pray:

Good growin' everyone!

If glogs were presented on a geological size scale, yours would be a mountain brother! Great stuff PaulG!

Good Vibes and Happy Growing

Alex
Hey, Tweak, pretty funny :rofl: I'm just trying to keep up with Shane!

Thanks for the look and well wishes, buddy!

Don't worry about the hit back until you get some pods...also I have plenty of the tepin X seeds left, but none of the 15. Was really hoping that I had sent you some pequins...oh well. another one I'll try to sanitize. Looking good brotha! I'm actually trying to keep my page count down...not working out :rofl:

Don't worry about the hit back until you get some pods...also I have plenty of the tepin X seeds left, but none of the 15. Was really hoping that I had sent you some pequins...oh well. another one I'll try to sanitize. Looking good brotha! I'm actually trying to keep my page count down...not working out :rofl:
I may also have some chiltepin seeds from CPI I could send along.

Whew- that was an epic glog catch up-so I have to skip the numbered commentary....I've lost track of half of what I would say! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Great to see your success Paul- always amazed when a northern grow get the superhots coming to pod.
As usual I leave your thread starving!
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]You said:Maybe some chipotle w/ the poblanos....[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Great idea -you will not be sorry, the thicker walled pods just really need to be cut down to size so to speak for the dehydrator, and they do take longer- I usually do that in stages, and have a fan blowing on the dehydrator.The smoking part as referenced by Shane is right on-I think the combination roasting/smoking makes for a crisper smoke taste-[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]too much smoke can make the powder or pods taste more like smoke and less like peppers. I have some of Shane's powder with me...and the first thing I smell when I open my locker is smoked MANZANO-not just smoke.The roasting helps dry the pods out quicker as well-just dont char them(though the effect of a little char is ok-a lot get bitter).[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Now I'm gonna have to go eat something![/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Have a good one![/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Dave[/background]

very nice - great looking chiles. nicely done on the smoked poblanos - i smoke a fair amount of chiles myself. love the taste of smoked bhuts.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]You said:Maybe some chipotle w/ the poblanos....[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Great idea -you will not be sorry, the thicker walled pods just really need to be cut down to size so to speak for the dehydrator, and they do take longer- I usually do that in stages, and have a fan blowing on the dehydrator.The smoking part as referenced by Shane is right on-I think the combination roasting/smoking makes for a crisper smoke taste-[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]too much smoke can make the powder or pods taste more like smoke and less like peppers. I have some of Shane's powder with me...and the first thing I smell when I open my locker is smoked MANZANO-not just smoke.The roasting helps dry the pods out quicker as well-just dont char them(though the effect of a little char is ok-a lot get bitter).[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Now I'm gonna have to go eat something![/background]

I just have to second what Dave said about Shane's powder. I know nothing about smoking, but I do know that I really like Shane's manzano powder for exactly the reason Dave brings up here. It's smoked Manzano, not just smoke. Well put and I think that makes Shane well worth listening to.

Edit: after typing that I glanced at Shane's profile pic and realize that he either is all dressed up in pink or looks like he's going to rob you - so use your best judgment ;)

Thanks, that does look like a good solution.
Are smoker pellets a wood chip, or a briquet
of some kind?
Hi Paul
Identical to the kind of pellets used in pellet stoves... just a lot more specific as to what kind of wood they're made of. Cheers

Whew- that was an epic glog catch up-so I have to skip the numbered commentary....I've lost track of half of what I would say! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Great to see your success Paul- always amazed when a northern grow get the superhots coming to pod.
Me too! We'll see if we actually wind up with more than a few ripe pods!
As usual I leave your thread starving!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]You said:Maybe some chipotle w/ the poblanos....[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Great idea -you will not be sorry, the thicker walled pods just really need to [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]be cut down to size so to speak for the dehydrator, and they do take longer- I usually do that in stages, and have a fan blowing on the dehydrator.The smoking part as referenced by Shane is right on-I think the combination roasting/smoking makes for a crisper smoke taste-[/background]
Thanks for the tips, Dave, especially about cutting the bigger pods up
for drying; that was my first error. I may have screwed the pooch on
the poblanos. They absorbed some humidity overnight, and I couldn't
get them crispy in the greenhouse today. Is it okay to put them back
in the dehydrator? I need to have the grinder on hand when the
peppers are ready next time :confused:

I know what you mean about Shanes Manzano powder; it's an art form!
I'm thinking of investigating the cold smoker - what's your take on that?

Are you keeping up with your heat jones, bro? Hope you get to have
a weekend! Thanks for visiting my glog.

Great picture updates Paul. It looks like you're in the home stretch now... just waiting for the pods to color up.
First some pods, then some color ;)

But I have to say it is a little exciting to see some Ghost pods forming.
The baccatums are the furthest behind at this time, but one of the Bishop's
Crown has a couple of tiny ones on it, and one of the Yellow Aji actually has
some larger pods, although a couple were attacked by some vicious arthropod.
They are both are over four feet tall and reaching for the sun!
The habs are podding up pretty good; lots of little pods showing up and
actually staying on the plant!

Thanks for looking in, gochu man! Have a great weekend!

very nice - great looking chiles. nicely done on the smoked poblanos - i smoke a fair amount of chiles myself. love the taste of smoked bhuts.
Thanks, man. I waited too long to grind them, I think.
Will try to salvage them if I can : (

Thanks for the look, Buddy!

I just have to second what Dave said about Shane's powder. I know nothing about smoking, but I do know that I really like Shane's manzano powder for exactly the reason Dave brings up here. It's smoked Manzano, not just smoke. Well put and I think that makes Shane well worth listening to.
Truer words were never spoken, my friend!
Edit: after typing that I glanced at Shane's profile pic and realize that he either is all dressed up in pink or looks like he's going to rob you - so use your best judgment ;)
I know, isn't he awesome! I'm glad he's on our side!

Rock your congregation this weekend, Brother Andy!

Thanks, hooda - you SD folks are really gettin' it on in sunny Cali!

Back