• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Hope some of those pods make it to the finish line before your season does! Momma took a look at my harvest today and told me my season is over... :violin:

I got the order to pull them up! Guess its time to set up the grow shelf again!!! :whistle:

Excellent looking pod shots Paul! Glad to see you're finally coming into your own harvest now. I've been tasting the pods the generous people at THP have been sending, but it'll take me a while to get to them all... meanwhile, I've been starting to plan next year's garden and am trying to do a triage to keep the numbers down to a reasonable and manageable level for the space I have to work with. I'll still be planting gochus and a variety of Mexican Annuums for salsa and powder, but now I'm planning a few Ajis, Habs and Scotch Bonnets too. The question I have for you is, of the superhots... which one do you rate the highest for flavor? I'll probably only be planting one since space is limited, so I want to get the most bang for my buck! Cheers!

I have to admit you ability to take such amazing pictures has my jaw dropping. I guess I need to get a better camera. Wonder how the wife woulf feel about that :rofl:

I sure wish I could grow some manzanos. Just a juicy tasty pepper. Shane just sent me some and I could not get enough of them. :dance:

Paul, coming in here never fails to meet or exceed my expectation. Beautiful pepper shots, good food and friendly conversation and an occational cold one. What more is there to be desired?

Have a great week my friend.

Hope some of those pods make it to the finish line before your season does! Momma took a look at my harvest today and told me my season is over... :violin:

I got the order to pull them up! Guess its time to set up the grow shelf again!!! :whistle:
I think we are in for at least a few more pods; daytime temps in 80's
for next 10 days. Nights in high 40's and 50's :pray: still.
Sorry to hear the adventure is coming to an end. How much time to pull
them up? 8-10 weeks ;) ?
I've been thinking bout start up next January already, too :think: :crazy:

The ornamentals are amost done ripening up, although still setting pods. This is their
Fall home in the front yard:
DSCN4765a.jpg

Sliced up JCR and Andy's saved pods for the dryer a couple of
days ago. The scent was so intense that after cutting them up
(all superhots) and getting the dryer going, I had lip burn and
toasted face!
DSCN4775a.jpg

The dried pods:
DSCN4777a.jpg

Wow Paul your plants are going crazy with pods, awesome job buddy!!!! Looks like one hell of a harvest this yr for ya!!!
Thanks, John. The weather gremlins are keeping their distance so far this Fall!

Here's some of the latest harvest. Not Pic1 numbers, but not bad for the PNW :)
I won't be needing any 5 gallon buckets!

DSCN4778a.jpg

DSCN4782a.jpg

DSCN4783a.jpg

DSCN4784a.jpg

DSCN4785a.jpg

DSCN4787a.jpg

Paul plants look great hopefully the peach hab can set more pods before you season end. Good luck through the rest of the season
Thanks, Fernando. I'll be happy if I can get these two to go
through to ripening. It will def be in the greenhouse!

Excellent looking pod shots Paul! Glad to see you're finally coming into your own harvest now. Thanks, Rick. Nice to have some material to work with! I've been tasting the pods the generous people at THP have been sending, but it'll take me a while to get to them all... I can feel your pain meanwhile, I've been starting to plan next year's garden and am trying to do a triage to keep the numbers down to a reasonable and manageable level for the space I have to work with. I'll still be planting gochus and a variety of Mexican Annuums for salsa and powder, but now I'm planning a few Ajis, Habs and Scotch Bonnets too. The question I have for you is, of the superhots... which one do you rate the highest for flavor? I'll probably only be planting one since space is limited, so I want to get the most bang for my buck! Cheers!
For my money a Yellow Seven would be hard to beat.
Chocolate Habanero is another good one. After that, Fatali, maybe?
Have fun making up your mind as you sample the pods. As you can see,
I wound up drying some I knew I wouldn't get to.

I have to admit you ability to take such amazing pictures has my jaw dropping. I guess I need to get a better camera. Wonder how the wife woulf feel about that :rofl:

I sure wish I could grow some manzanos. Just a juicy tasty pepper. Shane just sent me some and I could not get enough of them. :dance:
You're very generous, Jamie! I'm using a nine year old Canon Digital
Rebel, 6.1 Mp. mostly, but also use a Nikon S550 pocket camera.

The manzanos are touchy. They seem always to be drooping for one
reason or another. At least the Orange Rocoto has a good chance of
ripening up some more pods. Have my request in that they all ripen up.

Paul, coming in here never fails to meet or exceed my expectation. Beautiful pepper shots, good food and friendly conversation and an occational cold one. What more is there to be desired?

Have a great week my friend.
Thanks for the kind words, Bill. That's a pretty good short list, my friend!
Here's to that for everybody :cheers:
Thanks for stopping in, buddy.

Thanks for the input Paul... your vote is the 5th one for 7 pot/Trinidad yellow. Interesting...
Hard to ignore that kind of support for the yellow 7!

Nice work! I like how yellow your Fataliis came out...
I'm looking forward to trying that big one!

One of my favorites:
DSCN4788a.jpg

DSCN4789a.jpg

Dried a bunch of the harvested pods.

Inca Red Drop and Naga Morich:
DSCN4790a.jpg

Giant 'White' Hab, Fatali/Savina, 'Red' Habanero, Congo Trinidad:
DSCN4791a.jpg

Chocolate Habanero, Pointed Yellow Hab, Fatali:
DSCN4792a.jpg

Pointed Yellow Habanero:
DSCN4794a.jpg

The finished product:
DSCN4795a.jpg

Wow, you even dry your pods in an aesthetically appealing manner! Beautiful pics!
:rofl: haha buddy! It's the only way!

I tried another of your pods last night; the Red Devil's Tongue:
DSCN4796a.jpg

The pod had a mild, fruity scent when I cut it open, and a crunchy texture:
DSCN4798a.jpg

The first bite produced instant back of tongue burn spreading to my mouth.
Finishing the first quarter of the pod brought on some sniffles and more tongue
burn. Finishing the first half, the sniffles built up some more, but the tongue
burn didn't increase. Overall, i'd say the heat was medium.
DSCN4801a.jpg

The first 3/4 of the pod amped up the lip burn a little, as well as the sniffles.
The pod had nice heat; a little toasty, but not a forehead sweater. Finishing
up the pod didn't really produce much more heat, and it subsided quickly
after finishing the meal. I had a little recurrence of sniffles and toasty upper
lip about 90 minutes later.

Thanks, Andy. I've had a lot of fun with your package of hell!

Hi Paul, when i first joined here and shortly after i remember you showing a photo of a greenhouse covered in snow,(correct me if i am wrong) anyway if my memory is right are you preparing to put some of you plants in the greenhouse before the first frost?
Vic

Gotta agree with the others, your pics are awesome Paul. You do an excellent job with the camera. Beautiful pod pics and dehydrator shots. Well done brother!

Hi Paul, when i first joined here and shortly after i remember you showing a photo of a greenhouse covered in snow,(correct me if i am wrong) anyway if my memory is right are you preparing to put some of you plants in the greenhouse before the first frost?
Vic
You are correct, Vic. I have the greenhouse ready for plants, but
will wait until the last minute to bring them in. Once they get into
the greenhouse, it will pretty much be to see if they can survive the
winter at temps of 40F every night (with my little space heater running).
I may try stc3248's christmas tree light trick in the greenhouse this winter
just for fun!

Hope things are going well for you in Wisconsin!

Great dehydrator shots. I think I need to fire mine up this weekend. Bought 3 SFRB's and 1 MFRB this past week. Over 5 lbs of peppers!
Way to go, bro! Get that baby running. I have so few pods, I think
I will try to make flakes instead of powder. I sampled some of the
pods I dried, and they retain the flavor and heat pretty well.

Good luck drying those pods; nice score!

Gotta agree with the others, your pics are awesome Paul. You do an excellent job with the camera. Beautiful pod pics and dehydrator shots. Well done brother!
Thanks for the nice feedback, Brian. It's fun sharing what happens
in this little corner of the PNW! Glad you enjoyed the pix.

NO KIDDING, Paul your true calling was to be a Pepper Man!
That's good work if you can get it!
Thanks for the feedback, my friend!

:rofl: haha buddy! It's the only way!

I tried another of your pods last night; the Red Devil's Tongue:
DSCN4796a.jpg

The pod had a mild, fruity scent when I cut it open, and a crunchy texture:
DSCN4798a.jpg

The first bite produced instant back of tongue burn spreading to my mouth.
Finishing the first quarter of the pod brought on some sniffles and more tongue
burn. Finishing the first half, the sniffles built up some more, but the tongue
burn didn't increase. Overall, i'd say the heat was medium.
DSCN4801a.jpg

The first 3/4 of the pod amped up the lip burn a little, as well as the sniffles.
The pod had nice heat; a little toasty, but not a forehead sweater. Finishing
up the pod didn't really produce much more heat, and it subsided quickly
after finishing the meal. I had a little recurrence of sniffles and toasty upper
lip about 90 minutes later.

Thanks, Andy. I've had a lot of fun with your package of hell!

wonderful review Paul! That Devil's tongue surprised me most this year, I think. In part because I didn't expect anything out of it besides the shape. I was pleased with both the taste and the heat level (after all, it's nice to have some that are simply hot, not scorching). Glad you enjoyed the package. I'll point out again that your tolerance seems pretty high for a guy who wasn't going to grow any superhots this year.

Back