• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Sorry to have been absent for a few days, but just been a busy
time around the house. We had a 98th birthday party for my dad
last night, and my wife just retired from teaching first grade, so
lots going on. We've had pretty good pepper weather, and pods
are ripening up more than one at a time, mostly small early ones.

Hi Paul
I hope you like the gochu garu... I used some to make Cajun blackened Bluefish today that was just fantastic.Hope you're having a good weekend!
Thanks, Rick.
Got a nice mailer from Stickman last week. Two ounces of Gochu
Garu powder and some korean gochu pepper seeds:
IMG_9724a.jpg

I sprinkled a generous amount on a burger, and it flavored the
sandwich nicely. It has a very pleasant aroma, as well. Very
tasty powder; not much heat, but great taste. The blackened
Bluefish sounds very good. I'm glad we have already eaten.
Dinner was at our peruana friend's house. All traditional dishes,
and I'm stuffed like a jalapeño popper!

Home to family now...but off to Vegas for a wedding weekend shortly! Will be nice to blow off some steam, as long as we don't blow off our money too. The kiddos are going with us, so hopefully we'll spend less time at the tables and more at the pool and the shows.
Hope it was a good trip, buddy! There is def some cool stuff to see there.
We get that way every so often to visit a friend who lives there.

Awesome Glog, Paul ! As a local, I find it particularly interesting. I haven't read every page yet, but I'll get there.
You are either very patient or a glutton for punishment :D
How much longer do you think you'll get from this season? Generally I try to make it through September if possible. My super hots are just starting to develop nice pods. I hope we have a nice Indian summer, but it's very cold this morning for August 24th (in the 40s)!

Todd
The nights have been turning cool, for sure; not much new flowering
on some of the plants. The nice afternoons have helped pod ripening
a lot; finally some of the larger, recent pods beginning to color a little!
I'm hoping for a late first frost this summer so we can give the pods a
chance to ripen. I'd like to get at least two or three good seed pods
and a few to try out from every plant. The Infinity and Butch T's have
finally set pods, but I doubt they will make it to ripeness at this point.

Hope you are having a nice Sunday evening, Todd.

Chocolate Habanero just before picking. It's in the fridge waiting
for a taste test now:
DSCN4650a.jpg

Congo Trinidad continues to put out ripe pods:
DSCN4649a.jpg

More Fatalis ripening now, as well. One of these has a hole in it.
Dang (the squares are 5/8 inch on a side):
IMG_9713a.jpg

Congo Trinidad pods; pretty good heat:
IMG_9716a.jpg

Pointed Yellow habaneros; inconsistent heat. Some very spicy, others not so much:
IMG_9718a.jpg

Red Caribbean; another chew hole. Haven't cut it open yet, it's in the fridge.
IMG_9721a.jpg

Serranos and some small, ripe Early Jalapeños:
IMG_9722a.jpg

Was going to try the Fatali with the hole for dinner a couple of nights
ago, but it was funky on the inside, so went for a small chocolate
habanero to eat with some meatloaf:
DSCN4655a.jpg

The little choco hab had great flavor and heat. Back of tongue
and mouth, mostly, but a little lip burn. I had a pretty good runny
nose and sweating forehead by the time I was done eating. Should
bode well for the bigger pods, like the one pictured up above!

Great looking pods Paul. Wow those Congo Trinidad look like heavy producers can not wait to read your review. The overview of the garden look awesome.
Thanks, Fernando. There are some good sized Congo Trinidad pods ripening, so it shouldn't be too long!

In the meantime this bag of pods from Pulpiteer should keep me occupied:
IMG_9723a.jpg

Thanks, Andy, you are becoming a growing machine! What a haul - I haven't
even sorted them yet, so don't know what there is in there, really. But, I do have
my eye on that nice looking Peach Habanero in the center of the pile!

Your generosity is much appreciated, my friend! Can't wait to give some of these
a trial!

Good to see PTown does better then Salem. Ill post pics in a bit in my glog, of my first grow.
Hey, Kevin, thanks for looking in. It hasn't been a stellar grow season
this year, so every pod will be appreciated even more! Hope you are
getting some good results.

YAYYY . :woohoo: Finally some pod pics. Stop slackin on us will ya. Some of us depend on your pod/foodie pics. I was going back through your glog. How are your clones doing? Do you have any pics. I cant remember and I stopped at like page 7. Plan on going on through later. But an update pic would be nice :surprised: <<<all teeth grin as in Pleaserrrr!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: Great package. Now more great reviews. Matt sent me a peach bhut and it was deeelish. Not a lot of flavor pleasantly light flavored. OK NOW.. Get to eatin and reviewing. You remember our deal :rofl:

Hey, Kevin! Indeed, Every Pod a Victory! I caught up on the last 2 pages of your mini-series, but it is on the list to view the entire thing. I've only missed the middle 40 pages or so...

I enjoy your pod-eating reports. I think I'm in a similar boat, and just trying to figure out how to eat them, process them, or just stare at them. The wife unit put a variety of pods on the BBQ and I forgot one was a Fatalii. It was blackened like the others and I thought it was a Lemon Drop, so I popped the whole thing in. I could not see for about 5 minutes as water poured from my eyes. Having watched the videos of others eating such, I tried to remain objective and observe flavors and heat levels as I danced (stumbled) around the room, making (ahh-ahh-ahh) sounds that I thought might relieve the heat. It didn't. I just kept wondering why they named it Fatalii.

Man, I'm such a noob! Anyway, thanks for leading this pepper Glogosphere to such great heights.... :cool:

YAYYY . :woohoo: Finally some pod pics. Stop slackin on us will ya. Some of us depend on your pod/foodie pics. I was going back through your glog. How are your clones doing? Do you have any pics. I cant remember and I stopped at like page 7. Plan on going on through later. But an update pic would be nice :surprised: <<<all teeth grin as in Pleaserrrr!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: Great package. Now more great reviews. Matt sent me a peach bhut and it was deeelish. Not a lot of flavor pleasantly light flavored. OK NOW.. Get to eatin and reviewing. You remember our deal :rofl:

I gave away almost all of the clones. The Chocolate Habanero is
one that I kept, as is the Congo Trinidad in the #1 container. I'll try
to get a whole plant photo update soon. You are a stern taskmaster,
my friend :lol:

Some very nice looking pods. That chocolate looks really cool.
Thanks Bodeen. Hope you're doing well in IA.
This is the pod pictured on the plant above. It's about
1 and 7/8 inches long. I'm looking forward to trying this one:
IMG_9710a.jpg

Hey, Kevin! Indeed, Every Pod a Victory! I caught up on the last 2 pages of your mini-series, but it is on the list to view the entire thing. I've only missed the middle 40 pages or so...

I enjoy your pod-eating reports. I think I'm in a similar boat, and just trying to figure out how to eat them, process them, or just stare at them. That pretty much sums it up. It's probably good that I'm not having huge pod harvests! The wife unit put a variety of pods on the BBQ and I forgot one was a Fatalii. It was blackened like the others and I thought it was a Lemon Drop, so I popped the whole thing in. I could not see for about 5 minutes as water poured from my eyes. Having watched the videos of others eating such, I tried to remain objective and observe flavors and heat levels as I danced (stumbled) around the room, making (ahh-ahh-ahh) sounds that I thought might relieve the heat. It didn't. I just kept wondering why they named it Fatalii.

Man, I'm such a noob! Anyway, thanks for leading this pepper Glogosphere to such great heights.... :cool:
Getting caught by surprise like that makes it even worse :twisted: than if
you had been mentally prepared for it! On the other hand, no preconcieved
notions to bias you, right? I'm having trouble keeping up on the glogosphere
myself, so no guilt there. When winter gets here, it will be easier. Then we
can all sit back and watch the southern hemisphere growers ramp up their season!
Hope the growin' is good in Boise, my friend!

Only missed the middle 40 or so pages... :rofl:

Nice review of the choco hab. I haven't eaten one yet. I am tasting pepper vicariously through you now. They don't sit well with my training plan. Been hitting the not-so-hots on the regular though and using some powders to keep a little zest going.

Love seeing your pod train rolling in, and even more the awesome care packages you're getting! :party:

Only missed the middle 40 or so pages... :rofl:
I've forgotten the middle 40 or so pages!
Nice review of the choco hab. I haven't eaten one yet. I am tasting pepper vicariously through you now. They don't sit well with my training plan. Been hitting the not-so-hots on the regular though and using some powders to keep a little zest going.

Love seeing your pod train rolling in, and even more the awesome care packages you're getting! :party:
Hey Shane,
When your 100-miler is over, the pods will be that much better!
Some of those powders should help keep the flame alive! You
must be getting pretty limited vicarious thrills from my glog the
past week!

Andy is a brother, all right! What an awesome collection of fire!
Just like a big bag of candy!

HI Paul
Glad to hear you got the package OK... and that you like the powder. Maybe not much heat in the mouth, but it'll keep you warm on a cold night this winter if it lasts that long... Super looking pulls my friend! Looks like us northerners are finally starting to harvest across the board!

Nice harvest! Sucks about the Fatalii, but having a Choc Hab as a back-up isn't exactly slumming it! Nice review of the pod. Hope those Infinities and Butch T's change for you really soon.

HI Paul
Glad to hear you got the package OK... and that you like the powder. Maybe not much heat in the mouth, but it'll keep you warm on a cold night this winter if it lasts that long... Super looking pulls my friend! Looks like us northerners are finally starting to harvest across the board!
The powder is very tasty, Rick. I don't mind that it's not a mouth melter.
Variety is the spice of life! Yup, pods are slowly starting to ripen up above
the 45th parallel! I'm getting a couple of surprises - a red hab turning out
orange pods, the giant white also orange; however the Fatali/Savina and
the Chocolate Hab are both starting to put more color on. I'll try to get an
update in before heading up to NWChilefest.

Have a good week, my friend!

Nice harvest! Sucks about the Fatalii, but having a Choc Hab as a back-up isn't exactly slumming it! Nice review of the pod. Hope those Infinities and Butch T's change for you really soon.

Hey, Brent, hope you had a good weekend. It was tough to
settle for the choco hab, but I'll give it up for pepperhood :party:
Some of the supers - Infinity and 'Tuca' in particular - are setting
so late, I just don't think they have time to grow and ripen unless
they are on steroids or something! The Butch T may have a shot
at a ripe pod or two.

Good growin' your way, buddy!

Paul. Outstanding job on the clones and other plants. For a minute there I thought my explosive embers were off but I saw you labeled your "white habs" same photo with embers I believe sometime aug 19. But anyways great job. We really need to see you eat them peppers with your meals. I'm starting to think you just put them on top. Take a pic and that's that. :Rolf: good job buddy

Yea Paul I tell yea I hope to get some thing.. I have 1 flower and a number that could pop in the next week. I picked the ones off the other plants not sure it was a wise thing to do. But as late as I started the whole thing to get flowers is outstanding for a FNG to super hots. We should stay in touch this winter and all that I hope to plant in the ground in mid to end of April here in salem. NIce bounty you got in this mild even for Oregon summer we had. NIce job man.. Tell your wife congrats and thanks for putting up with kids these days..

Paul. Outstanding job on the clones and other plants. For a minute there I thought my explosive embers were off but I saw you labeled your "white habs" same photo with embers I believe sometime aug 19. But anyways great job. We really need to see you eat them peppers with your meals. I'm starting to think you just put them on top. Take a pic and that's that. :Rolf: good job buddy
Oh, man, why didn't I think of that :P

Not sure what you mean about the pics; I went back and
looked at the page, and it seemed okay. Are you seeing
two of the same picture?

Yea Paul I tell yea I hope to get some thing.. I have 1 flower and a number that could pop in the next week. I picked the ones off the other plants not sure it was a wise thing to do. But as late as I started the whole thing to get flowers is outstanding for a FNG to super hots. We should stay in touch this winter and all that I hope to plant in the ground in mid to end of April here in salem. NIce bounty you got in this mild even for Oregon summer we had. NIce job man.. Tell your wife congrats and thanks for putting up with kids these days..
Thanks, Kevin, I'll pass along the congrats! You will def have
to visit my pepper patch if you get up to Pdx in the next few
weeks. I'll hook you up with some pods for next year's seeds.
I'll be starting my seeds around the end of January, as I did this
year, but April is way to early to go in the ground in our neighborhood.
I didn't put them out full time until June-July this year, but they
were out for hardening off before that.

Last spring I just got tired of picking off flowers, but indoors under
the lights, I did pick them off as long as I could get to them.

Have a good week, brother!

Always a grat update! I like the zeroing in with the photography......cool pod shots.
Those Congo's are wonderful peppers!

Enjoyed catching up on your grow paul! your plants are really turning on now it seems! The choco habs look great. Im also a big fan of those congo trinis. Ive got seeds i took out of some pods earlier this year and look forward to growing them next year. Enjoy thank big ole bag of pods!

Great updates Paul.
You are the glogmaster.
It is always a pleasure and a smile reading your updates.
Keep em coming :party:

And please tell your pops I said happy belated birthday :fireball:

Always a grat update! I like the zeroing in with the photography......cool pod shots.
Those Congo's are wonderful peppers!
Thanks, Greg; you are too kind. It's good to have a few pods to take pix of!
Hope your grow is continuing to astound.

The Congo Trinidads are finally starting to ripen up some large pods:
DSCN4668a.jpg

Under the Congo Trinidad clone's canopy:
DSCN4679a.jpg

A nicely shaped Fatali:
DSCN4661a.jpg

The Fatali/Savina is starting to scare me a little:
DSCN4677a.jpg

Under the canopy:
DSCN4676a.jpg

The Red Habanero is surprising me:
DSCN4675a.jpg

As is the Giant White Habanero:
DSCN4672a.jpg

DSCN4682a.jpg

Enjoyed catching up on your grow paul! your plants are really turning on now it seems! The choco habs look great. Im also a big fan of those congo trinis. Ive got seeds i took out of some pods earlier this year and look forward to growing them next year. Enjoy thank big ole bag of pods!
Hey, Britton, thanks for the visit! It looks like we will get at least a
few pods this year! I like both the Chocolate Habs and Congo
Trinidads, too. If I get a big ole bag of pods, I'll post a pic, bro!

Hope everything is good with you.

Great updates Paul.
You are the glogmaster.
It is always a pleasure and a smile reading your updates.
Keep em coming :party:

And please tell your pops I said happy belated birthday :fireball:
You are generous, Jamie, but thanks for the nice comments.
Hope all is well out your direction, and thanks for the birthday
wishes for dad; he liked that!

Hi Paul
Beautiful shots of your ripening pods! How much longer would you say you have to your growing season?
Thanks, Rick; thought they would never start to ripen! Our normal first
frost date is around Oct. 29 (50th percentile). 36F usually around Oct 12.
So I'm hoping for another month of decent growing days. The forecast
for the next 10 days is for mostly clear and dry with a couple of partly
cloudy with a chance of rain days, but they have been insignificant so far.

I am going to try to extend a few in the greenhouse just for fun. Would like
to overwinter a few, anyway.

Be on the lookout for incoming Omnicolors. They went out Tuesday.

Back