• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG’s Trippaul Threat Purple

I really enjoyed growing this pepper variety this 2023 season. A BEAUTIFUL 5 foot tall 4 foot wide dark foliaged plant that yielded approximately 35-40 amazing pods. It weathered a massive rabbit buffet (1 1/2” stub) and still produced nicely before the scheduled first frost. It was grown the in-ground and really stood out from the 204 varieties that I grew this season. It responded very well to the ‘dry-farmimg’ technique that I practice using with 75%-85% of my grows, too. I haven’t had the chance to eat one yet but, if tastes as good as it looks I’ll grow it every season. EXCELLENT BREEDING WORK, PaulG!!! Definitely, a home run!!! Thank You for you dedication bringing this variety to the light! Positive Vibrations…

p.s. Anymore else enjoying this pepper variety in their grow?

Attachments

• IMG_7581.jpeg
    IMG_7581.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 985
Last edited:
So you made the initial cross then? Did you and PaulG then collaborate on the ‘stability grow-outs, culling, etc? EXCELLENT WORK to the both of you! The plant expression is stellar! The plant I grew had almost jet black branching through the entire plant. I’m going to miss that beauty when the frost/cold temps takes it down. I’ve been protecting it from both since the 1st of October. Definitely, not my norm but, I dig the stature of it of it looming over my grow. The darker foliage screams ‘hey look at me’ on the now 5+ foot tall plant. It powered back from massive rabbit damage better than any of the 100 or so plants they chewed up. The temps have slowed it down some but, what doesn’t that’s planted in the ground this time of year here in the Midwest. I’ll probably take some cuttings and over-winter them (I need another winter project like I need two left feet) but, I’m still on the ‘plant dependence’ fence. Although, I do appreciate them keeping me from being static over the Winter months. Sitting on your ass and not stimulating your body and mind only invites the 6 foot deep hole closer to your feet. Plant have saved me from many bad times throughout my days…I’ll probably be taking those cuttings tonight…one hand washes the other. I very much appreciate the dedication put towards bringing this variety to the light! So do the folks that I’ve had visit my grow. If you ever need a hand stablizing a cross give me a shout. I’ve got access to quite a few vacant lots that I utilize for isolation or bagged plants. The plant name is pretty clever, too. Super job, my Friend! Have a great day! Positive Vibrations…

Awesome postings, my friends! I hope a few more folk
are growing these out, I sent out a ton of seeds over the
years. I hope you both have success with these in the
upcoming seasons!

Awesome postings, my friends! I hope a few more folk
are growing these out, I sent out a ton of seeds over the
years. I hope you both have success with these in the
upcoming seasons!
I wanted to take some cutting from the (in-ground) plant but, wasn’t in town when the hard freeze knocked it down. That plant had the ‘hey, look at me’ mojo working and stood out from the 200 or so that I grew. Very impressive work bring that to light!!! It’s on my 2024 Grow List, for sure. Thank You for sharing the seed!!! I very much appreciate it!!! Positive Vibrations…

A couple of my current lot both F8 generation plants ... Not the best photos ... They were transplanted from the aeroponics unit to soil a few weeks back ... Just starting to bounce back and beginning to thrive.
Soil is a home grown concoction based on the fact all store bought in NZ seems to be far too heavy for my liking, lots of fine pumice in addition to a heavy compost, a lighter store bought organic potting soil and seaweed, blood and bone and sulphate of potash.

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_212521.jpg
    IMG_20231203_212521.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231203_212450.jpg
    IMG_20231203_212450.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
A couple of my current lot both F8 generation plants ... Not the best photos ... They were transplanted from the aeroponics unit to soil a few weeks back ... Just starting to bounce back and beginning to thrive.
Soil is a home grown concoction based on the fact all store bought in NZ seems to be far too heavy for my liking, lots of fine pumice in addition to a heavy compost, a lighter store bought organic potting soil and seaweed, blood and bone and sulphate of potash.
I like using cotton burr compost. Real good water retention and an excellent soil conditioner. Outstanding when used to break up clay soils, too. Plus it has a decent natural mineral/nutrient content that won’t burn plants, as well. Finding an organic option is tricky but, doable. Using cocoa shell/hull for mulch in the garden or on top or container soil will suppress weed pressure and feed the soil/plant. Coco coir is a excellent base medium to build on for plants, too. Just a couple of organic options if you’re not aware of them.

Funnily (or not funnily as the Trippaul threats have always been more robust than many other varieties) enough those never really got checked with the transplant

They’re definitely a robust variety. After seeing the plant respond the way it did after devastating damage, I’m convinced. It went from the shortest plant in the field (1”-1 1/2” chewed up nub) to one of the tallest of the 204 varieties l grew in 2023. I even got two frost damaged cuttings to root indoors. It didn’t seem to mind the colder temps late into the season where others ‘giving up the ghost’. I think it’ll do well at the market for transplants and fresh pods.

Back