• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulS Glog MMXV - Plant Outs :)

It's finally time to start the 2015 season :)

It's my first time doing a season glog but it's my sixth year growing chillies. I've learnt so much from reading this website and the knowledgeable people on it. The last couple of years have been pretty successful, so hopefully this year will be the best year yet.

My grow list.

I'm growing nothing that I've grown before so it should all be a nice surprise.

Super Hots
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Red Moruga
Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Orange

Mild
Aji pineapple
Large Orange Thai
Peruvian Purple

Crosses
Pink Tiger
Pimenta Puma
Mojo Scoundrel (Bhut x Neyde)
Mojo Big brown
Bubblegum 7 x PdN
Bhut x Neyde - Peach-Cream
Buena Mulata
Black Panther F2

Bonchi
Cheiro Roxa
Bird's Eye Baby
Peito de Moca
CGN 22794
Pimenta Bode
CGN 21500

The seeds were soaked overnight
SANY0004.jpg

Then put into my heated propagator on 15th Jan
SANY0003.jpg

SANY0007.jpg

No hooks or any signs of life as I'm writing this on the 20th Jan!

PaulG said:
Those carnivores are awesome.  Some of the best
specimens I've seen; they look really well-fed!!

Long live the Pink Tiger! 

Your grow station looks great full of green, Paul!
Yeah they are doing really good. They seem to grow really quickly.
The pink tiger is one of the chillies I'm most looking forward to this season so I was happy when it was a lucky survivor!

Devv said:
I too am digging the carnivorous plants!

I don't feel you're taking the babies out too soon. As soon as mine stand up I move them into a solo cup and put them under lights.

Bonchi's look fantastic as well!
Thanks dude.
It felt a little bit early because a couple went floppy when I put them into pots! Theey are fine now though.

Pulpiteer said:
I'll chime in on the carnivorous plants, very cool! I know nothing about them.  Do you have to feed them insects, or is there other stuff?  How long have you had them?
Thanks dude. Maybe your fish would like a venus fly trap for entertainment! :)

I've had them since november, They have grown sooo much since then. You can buy food to put inside the traps, I haven't tried that but I have put a few insects in, in fact you can see the leftovers from a moth we sacrificed in the venus fly trap photo! But I've actually been surprised by how many flies they catch on there own, keeping my chillies bug free.

Did some major re-potting today. The second batch of seeds I planted pretty much all came up! So I have too many plants or maybe there is no such thing...
SANY0039.jpg

Side view;
SANY0040.jpg

All the plants are now in 1 litre pots... well actually they are bags made from recycled plastic, really cheap £1.50 for 50 x 1litre.

The lone survivor pink tiger from the failed first batch got a 2 litre bag;
SANY0046.jpg

We potted up some sprigs of mint as I read somewhere aphids hate it. There are in really small pots so they will fit between my chilli plants;
SANY0042.jpg

Now the plants get a new home! Its a grow tent which zips up nicely;
SANY0038.jpg

The light is a 150w Metal Hallide, it gave my plants a great start last year. A close up;
SANY0036.jpg

The plants that couldn't fit into the tent will remain under my t5;
SANY0080.jpg

In the tent I have a themometer with humidity, with the tent closed daytime temp is about 28-30c 90-100 humidity.
In the other corner I have a webcam!;
SANY0076.jpg

It's fun to have a look while I'm at my computer or anywhere via my phone. Last year I made some cool timelapses I'll do the same this year.
The picture isn't amazing but it does the job.
If you want to sneak a look at my plants go here!:
http://t27709.mytenvis.org:7777
username: hotpepper
password: hotpepper

I hope all of your plants are doing well :)

By the way, does anybody know how to change the topic title?

PaulS said:

@beerbreath81
The bonchis are coming along really nicely. There's not much work required at the moment, I'm happy with the shape/wiring, well until all the new shoots get bigger! I just pluck the leaves when they get big!

Thanks for the kind words dudes.I haven't been sick, I have a spinal injury so I'm stuck in a wheelchair, I get skin problems/sores sometimes and the only way of getting rid of them is to stay in bed! It's pretty boring!

Anyway on to the fun stuff....
I replanted all the seeds on the 2nd Feb and I've had much better luck. This is my setup....

SANY0006.jpg

The top shelf is my bonchi - carnivorous plant collection. If you haven't seen my bonchis( http://http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50436-pauls-bonchi-glog/ )
They are under a 2 foot 2 bulb t5.

The bottom shelf is for starting my chillies. I have a heated propagator (germination station!) A really basic soil mix of John Innis small plant compost with perlite and vermiculite.
The light is a 2foot 4 bulb t5. This is on 18/6.
SANY0007.jpg

I took some of the seedlings out of the propigator, prob far too early but I got impatient!
SANY0008.jpg

There was one survivor from the original crop a pink tiger
SANY0012.jpg

Some of my carnivorous plants

SANY0017.jpg

SANY0016.jpg

SANY0015.jpg

Happy gardening :)
I love Venus Fly Traps & Cobra's
Nice list & glog best of luck this season :!:

Things are looking great! You've got some major window area there, very nice, and nice grow tent set up.  And I love the children's cars under the table, btw. I think we have one of those exact ones around the house somewhere.  Oh, and I hadn't heard that about mint before, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Runescape said:
Yeah, perfectly. Really cool idea...
Thanks. I wish it was a better quality camera but it works and has a night vision, so that's all that matters:)

Pulpiteer said:
Things are looking great! You've got some major window area there, very nice, and nice grow tent set up.  And I love the children's cars under the table, btw. I think we have one of those exact ones around the house somewhere.  Oh, and I hadn't heard that about mint before, I'll have to keep that in mind.
Thanks Dude. Small world! They are my nephews, twin three year old boys, I have to keep an eye on them when they are around my plants, last year they pulled every single flower off one section of my mum's garden! It didn't go down well.

Just fantastic Paul!

We all over load our bhuts come pepper time ;)

Nice home and setup!

Keep it green!

moruga welder said:
Great job my friend ! gotta love the web cam ,  oh what we will do for our chili plants !   :onfire:
Thanks dude. The webcam is only a cheap ip cam from amazon! It's good fun.

Devv said:
Just fantastic Paul!

We all over load our bhuts come pepper time ;)

Nice home and setup!

Keep it green!
Thanks dude :) I'm just about to catch up on your glog!

Really nice, Paul!  Sweet grow tent set-up!

To change the thread title, go to the first post
and select 'use full editor' from the 'edit' dialogue box.

Thanks Paul. I looked for ages for it but no luck!
PaulG said:
Really nice, Paul!  Sweet grow tent set-up!

To change the thread title, go to the first post
and select 'use full editor' from the 'edit' dialogue box.

If you just click 'edit' on your first post, the 'use full editor' button is at the bottom of the editing box.

A small update.
Here is a time lapse of the first four days of my chillies in that tent.
If you've never seen a time lapse of your chillies growing it is pretty interesting how much they move around especially when the light turns on and off. The camera is set to take a photo every four minutes and the video plays back at thirty frames per second.

[media]http://youtu.be/7OpoaB-1dy8[/media]

Back