food Pav Bhaji Masala. A very spicy Indian dish.

Here is an American version of an extremely popular dish in India.

It is usually eaten with bread, (Pav), and has a mixture of spices, (Masala), mixed with a mixture of vegetables, (Bhaji).

The spices most often used are Red Chili, Coriander, Cumin, Dry Mango, Fennel, Cassia, Bay leaf, Salt, Black Cardamom, Caraway, Green Cardomom, Star Anise, Clove and Anise Pepper. The Masala, (seasoning), I've included here is exactly that mixture, already in the proper ratios and in powder form for ease of use.

The dish is made slightly different in India, but like most dishes, it can be adjusted to personal tastes and favorite vegetables. It's a vegetarian dish. No meat is added to it, but Americans sometimes eat it as a side dish with whatever type of meat they prefer. It should be very spicy.

In India, it's made at least 4 times as spicy by adding more Pav Bhaji Masala, (which is a strong curry seasoning), as the recipe below presents it.

The seasoning "Pav Bhaji Masala" is a small, round 100 gram/3.5 oz cylindrical container that may be found in many American grocery stores or if not, in any Indian food store.

The dish is the Indian equivilant of a low cost, popular food such as "Hot Dogs" or "Hamburgers" in America or "Fish and Chips" in British countries. In India, you literally cannot go anywhere without smelling this dish at lunch time. It is extremely popular.

This is my personal variation of the dish.

I hope you like it.

Nat.

Ingrediants:

2 large green bell peppers
1 large yellow bell pepper
1 large red bell pepper
1 large orange bell pepper
4 Anaheim peppers
4 jalapeño peppers
4 cups green beans
2 cups corn
2 cups peas
4 cups diced potato with skins on.
2 cups lima beans
2 cups black eyed peas
4 large ripe diced tomatoes
2 large Vidalia onions
16 ounces of sliced Portabella Mushrooms.
3 heaping Tablespoons Pav Bhaji Masala

Preparation:

Dice all the vegetables into 1/2 inch pieces and combine with Pav Bhaji Masala.
Add just enough water to pan to keep vegetables from sticking while bringing to a slow boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for two hours to marry flavors and cook all the vegetables well.

Stir every 15 minutes to blend and prevent sticking.

Turn off heat and let sit until cool. Refrigerate overnight.

Method of serving:

Reheat desired amount and serve with any main dish or just by itself.

Usually eaten with fresh, crisply baked bread. Very good with English Muffins that have been toasted crisp.

Adjust the amount of Pav Bhaji Masala to desired heat level. Add chilies to personal heat level, but cook in well.

May add diced or shredded cheese to top. Broil until melted slightly.

dishofbhajifh4.jpg

pavbhajimasalaseasoningux9.jpg

NatGreenMeds said:
The dish is the Indian equivilant of a low cost, popular food such as "Hot Dogs" or "Hamburgers" in America or "Fish and Chips" in British countries.

Sounds good and looks good, but fish and chips ain't a low cost food you won't get a fish supper for less than £4 which is roughly $8 (US).
May have to give your dish a try as a nice side dish/starter/snack

Davetaylor said:
Sounds good and looks good, but fish and chips ain't a low cost food you won't get a fish supper for less than £4 which is roughly $8 (US). May have to give your dish a try as a nice side dish/starter/snack
Yikes! I hear you man. EVERYTHING costs too much these days. When I was a child, you would have needed a truck to carry $5 worth of beans or rice, literally! Now you can carry either in one hand. Damn inflation. It seems to have no end.

Daves Right the price of Cod has gone through the roof and fillet of cod in the u.k costs 2 or even three times dearer than salmon..Go figure :shocked:

Now that the cooler months are coming this looks like a keeper too NAT

Looks like you can serve over rice and have a full meal of it!

LUCKYDOG said:
Now that the cooler months are coming this looks like a keeper too NAT . Looks like you can serve over rice and have a full meal of it!
I made a batch of Jambalaya that's smokin hot too. I put a layer of the Jambalaya on a plate and topped it with the PBM. It was delicious! Good call!

LUCKYDOG said:
Now that the cooler months are coming this looks like a keeper too NAT

Looks like you can serve over rice and have a full meal of it!

I don't pay attention to the seasons, I eat what I like all the time :D

I'm in the mood for this type of food in the Fall and Winter months mostly -- stews, chili's and soups -- Around here it is quite a travel to get any Indian food and it has been my curiosity lately especially with curries or Vindaloos --

Back