• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peach Bhut Jolokia

I am interested to see your pictures... Is anyone growing this variety? I just started some seeds that I got from Wicked Mike. Look forward to seeing how they grow...

Muskymojo gave me some this year . Got my white bhut's popped out still waiting for the peach to pop up. Bhut has always been hard for me to germinate(along with C. Galapoense).

I grew it out originally in 2013.  I procured the seeds from JungleRain I do beleive.  It was a small little bushy plant with thick, rubbery, dark green leaves.  The pods are thick-walled as well. 

Here are all the pictures I have of it from 2013:
IMG_7262.JPG

IMG_7563.JPG

I saved the seeds from this mutant and grew them out in 2014.
PeachBhut1.JPG

The 2014 plants which came from the mutant pod were all very productive...
Here you can see some of the pods from those plants in the bottom left of the picture:
IMG_8978.JPG

I saved seeds from some of those pods and germinted them in December.
Sadly I only had one seed germinate out of 12.  And here it is 110 days after being sown:
IMG_9970.JPG

I plan to cross her with something in order to preserve her genetics... possibly a Red Savina Habanero, which is the other lone specimen I have... perhaps they were meant to be together...

Noah Yates said:
I grew it out originally in 2013.  I procured the seeds from JungleRain I do beleive.  It was a small little bushy plant with thick, rubbery, dark green leaves.  The pods are thick-walled as well. 

Here are all the pictures I have of it from 2013:
attachicon.gif
IMG_7262.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_7563.JPG

I saved the seeds from this mutant and grew them out in 2014.
attachicon.gif
PeachBhut1.JPG

The 2014 plants which came from the mutant pod were all very productive...
Here you can see some of the pods from those plants in the bottom left of the picture:
attachicon.gif
IMG_8978.JPG

I saved seeds from some of those pods and germinted them in December.
Sadly I only had one seed germinate out of 12.  And here it is 110 days after being sown:
attachicon.gif
IMG_9970.JPG

I plan to cross her with something in order to preserve her genetics... possibly a Red Savina Habanero, which is the other lone specimen I have... perhaps they were meant to be together...
nice looking plant my friend !   and a nice haul in 2014 .  how was the flavor/heat on the peach bouts ?   

I'm just wondering ,a couple years ago I got seeds from  a trade.and it was a toss up once they ripened.

Most looked peach at first.
Anout 50% turned red +/-.

I always wait for any light colored pods to start to dry out,be over ripe when I isolate for seeds.
Too many times,yellow or whatever color goes red.aren't true.
A lot of Brown ones turn red too.

I'm wondering if most people pick any pod once it turns the desired color and really never gave the pod time to fully ripen.

Part of the reason I don't trade much anymore is due to immature seeds or stuff that isn't what I wanted.

Add in people trading seeds from pods they purchased and in my small garden,I end up with mostly crosses that might or might not be cool as far as being similar to what I wanted in taste,productivity etc.

I usually isolate a few pods before my plants go out - for seeds.

I only have a limited space for 1 of each variety I grow.

I can't keep a couple of every variety to see what one grew true.

I give away a TON of plants (easily a couple hundred this year and I easily will give away as many more by Aug.) and I only keep 1 of each variety.

The ones I grew were a 50/50 mix of red and peach colored RIPE pods.
Both were VERY productive plants.
Both had similar heat and taste.

I do think it's getting to be a big problem with people picking pods too early.

Might be why people say certain varieties give them a very hard time germinating seeds.

I ALWAYS keep pods for seeds until the start to wrinkle on the plant or pull easily from the Calyx almost to the touch.

Thick fleshed stuff is harder to guess about.

Thick skin in the cooler climates might mean moldy seeds.
I don't have to worry too much about that these days.

It's been in the high 70's for months,80 -90 for the last couple months this year.
Gonna be in the high 90's soon.
Summers gonna be hot this year...

Weather sucks,Back East it's record cold,here it's record heat and no rain.

4 weeks,a drop in the bucket. LOL

I have an Aji Finlandia with as many pods as leaves that has been yellow pods for easily 2 months and are just starting to orange up.
Plant needs branches supported to keep from breaking.
These are only 2 in. pods,Just too many per branch...
But that is the way Baccatums are.

Pods look cool,hope they are true peach.
Looks like your plant is productive,if all branches are the same.

The peach seeds I got were well worth growing,red or true peach as far as similar taste,productivity etc.

They weren't that hot but had a good flavor.

Heat wasn't that high as far as some Supers go.

I'll grow seeds from the true peach again from saved seeds.
Not this year though.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of just a Peach Bhut, but there are some Peach Bhuts in the pile of pain here.  Very similar in shape to Noah's peppers and the hottest of the various Bhut's I grew.  Beat out Red, Yellow, and Chocolate Bhut's for heat.

IMG_20130827_141634_561_zps0f14c00a.jpg

I grow them and Jay's each year. They make great tasting and very hot powder. Mine never turn red when ripe, just peach. The young plants always look "funny" in the leaf color to me. They just have a different color (along with the Jay's) which look nute deficient to me. But all the other plants grown in the same soil and same lights, same watering, etc look alike. mind you these are different years with seeds from different vendors. I've just accepted they tend to look different when I grow them. The pics above look like what I expect "normal" plants to look like. Not mine. They seem to grow out of it and produce good. They do get root bound real easily as seedlings so I have to keep a close eye on when to pot up even though the plants are smaller than some of my other varieties.

Back