• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Pelleted Lawn Lime Use For Hot Peppers?

Interesting question here...  My lemon drop peppers seem to need more calcium than my other pepper plants.  (May as well give them all a treat though...)  Now I figure, why buy something if you don't have to?  I have a HUGE bag of pelleted Dr Soil lime left over from when we used to do our lawn ourselves.  Can this be used for my peppers?  Will the pellets work fast enough?  And if so, how much do I use?  Can I damage them if I use too much in my garden and also for my pots?

Will I have to use epson salts  if I use this lime, since it is slightly over 20% magnesium.  I think the Dolomite that everyone talks about here is >40% magnesium.

Don't even need to test my soil anymore to know the PH is on the low side.  Used to always use powdered lime for my lawn and garden for years.  Have no clue how we ended up with a bag of pelleted lime thyough.  Maybe my father in law dropped it off one day?  Anyways, this particular garden has been dormant for about 5 years now and I had to remove the grass sods.  The soil was perfection once the sods were removed!

Ok now I want to keep my lush dark green growth (all are dark except for the lemon drops which are a lighter green)  on my peppers that way now that most of them are in my garden vs. pots.  (They were started in Miracle Grow moisture control soil.)  What is the biggest secret to extra dark green leaves?

i find that peppers under blue / red led have the biggest and darkest green leaves.
I used pellet dolomite lime. there is no problems using it. I used 1TBSP per gallon of soilmix (for containers). It certainly doesn't work as fast as a already available cal mag solution you buy in a bottle, but some should start being available after a week or two.

if you think they need calcium, why give them lime?

lime is mag and calcium carbonates, they are basic, and will lower the PH of your garden soil. carbonates are poorly available to plants, in basic environments.

try some calcium nitrate... 5lbs will cost you like, 10 bucks, and it will make hundreds of gallons of fertilizer solution.

Hot Mama Bearz said:
Interesting question here...  My lemon drop peppers seem to need more calcium than my other pepper plants.  (May as well give them all a treat though...)  Now I figure, why buy something if you don't have to?  I have a HUGE bag of pelleted Dr Soil lime left over from when we used to do our lawn ourselves.  Can this be used for my peppers?  Will the pellets work fast enough?  And if so, how much do I use?  Can I damage them if I use too much in my garden and also for my pots?

Will I have to use epson salts  if I use this lime, since it is slightly over 20% magnesium.  I think the Dolomite that everyone talks about here is >40% magnesium.

Don't even need to test my soil anymore to know the PH is on the low side.  Used to always use powdered lime for my lawn and garden for years.  Have no clue how we ended up with a bag of pelleted lime thyough.  Maybe my father in law dropped it off one day?  Anyways, this particular garden has been dormant for about 5 years now and I had to remove the grass sods.  The soil was perfection once the sods were removed!

Ok now I want to keep my lush dark green growth (all are dark except for the lemon drops which are a lighter green)  on my peppers that way now that most of them are in my garden vs. pots.  (They were started in Miracle Grow moisture control soil.)  What is the biggest secret to extra dark green leaves?
Genetics and species play a role. A C.baccatum (lemon drop) will generally have a paler color in it's leaves. If you are comparing them to chinense or annuum,they will never match the color.

Pr0digal_son said:
Genetics and species play a role. A C.baccatum (lemon drop) will generally have a paler color in it's leaves. If you are comparing them to chinense or annuum,they will never match the color.
Sorry I was away, we had a rough and exhausting spell at work and it was my Birthday weekend also.

Thank you to everyone for your answers. Pr0digal_son, your answer rocks! And I also I also got a ton of useful advice from the others that replied also.

I do have a new problem. It has been raining or the soil has been wet, every day! My habaneros are still in pots, but everything else has been transplanted ( besides what I am keeping in pots). The pepper garden is 3/4 done. My stuff in pots and my lower garden terrace are growing beautifully! But I do know that the upper terrace of my garden does not retain nutrients or water well. And all of those plants are not growing well. And the rain has been ruining any plans to fix the gardens plumbing after my gardens are all fixed up, so to speak... The barriers and posts etc have grown old....

Here is the dealio.... My husband does zero to help me. I have shoveled and removed the sods from 3/4 of my garden by hand. I have to cut runoff dirt off my cement walk on the bottom of my garden. Plus i have all my flower gardens to contend with. I just have no time to deal with the escaping dirt issue...

So, everything I add to the top terrace runs or leeches to the lower terrace... So I broke down and bought miracle grow for a fast acting boost. But guess what? The rain and the slope, washes that away! Plus it won't soak into wet soil...

My upper terrace peppers need nutrients and fast, and I don't think there will be a solution as long as it keeps raining.. I am sooo behind this year...... And I have a party this friday and my gardens on the left of my house are full of weeds. And the gardens on the right of my house that were weeded two days ago, in the rain, of course, are full of weeds already! They love all this rain!

I am planning on working on my pepper garden when i get home at 1 AM, but my husband says there are dark clouds everywhere... Wahhh....

I have never seen forecasts for a month straight include scattered thundershowers.. I had only one dry 24 hours to get those 3/4 of my peppers in. And I am glad that I did. Worked 15 of those hours in the garden...

Back