• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Beds Progress...

Hi ya'll...I have been busy the past couple of days finishing up my pepper beds. As you know I have constructed 4 beds out of concrete block, all 4 feet wide by 12 feet long with one being 16 feet long. Yesterday, I finally got them all filled with soil and compost. As my Grandpa use to say, the tool makes the job... I managed to borrow a pick up truck with a dump bed and a friend of mine came over with a bobcat. WOW....I wish I thought of the bobcat when I was shoveling all of the stone for the base. Here are a few pictures. Oh, all of the straw is from new grass seed, I used the left over soil to level out my yard. Now all I need to do besides plant out is finish staining the beds.
DSCF2502.jpg

DSCF2514.jpg

DSCF2518.jpg

Nice Paul....very nice...now you are ready to plant out...

Thanks everyone...With a little luck, the next time I post pictures of these beds they will be full of healthy plants...:)

Thanks P3F. I'm going to be sure to keep ya'll posted with plenty of pictures. It has been raining here since last night and the beds seem to be draining well. I only ahve about 2 more weeks before I fill them with plants that are anxious to get out.

WOW you really put in some work i bet those peppers will be nice if you put that much work into them very nice indeedy , that soil looks really rich what is it or does your soil up there just have that dark rich look to it .....

mrmulcher said:
WOW you really put in some work i bet those peppers will be nice if you put that much work into them very nice indeedy , that soil looks really rich what is it or does your soil up there just have that dark rich look to it .....

Thanks...So far my pepper plants are looking more like mini bushes since I started them kind of early...Atleast they are all healthy. The soil is a mix that I made up consisting of screened top soil and compost.

NatGreenMeds said:
Now you have me thinking of doing what you have.

The beds look like they are 4 blocks wide by 8 long?

Could you share the progression of events in building them? Like the first level is packed leveled dirt, second level is so many inches of gravel....

I'd like to duplicate the awesome results you have.

Thanks man! My yard is full of tree roots. No way to dig down without major work.

Nat, I can't take all of the credit. I got the idea from AJ...But, here is what I did...I have 3 beds with the inside diameter that is just shy of 4 feet wide by 12 feet long and 1 bed that is the same width but by 16 feet long. As I discovered, the first layer is the most important layer and it needs to be as level and square as possible. So, I dug the ground to make an earthen footer out of the existing soil. I filled the holes in the block of each layer with stone. Then I placed down weed cloth right on top of the sod (no need for extra digging) and topped it with 3 - 4 inches of gravel and filled the rest with soil. Oh...I almost forgot...I ruined the chain on my saw cutting through some bigger roots. So, I know what you mean by having roots...

Good luck with your beds, but it was a lot of work. At least this only needs to be done once...

Here are a couple of links showing more of the progression of the beds
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=5363
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=5515

imaguitargod said:
Looks awesome Paul. One of these days I'll have to stop by, share a few pints, and eat some chili's with you.

Thanks IGG...Perhaps when the pods start getting good I will have a cook out ;)

Nat, I don't think you really have to worry about cross pollination unless you are planning on saving seeds for use next year. Here is an exert from an article I found:

Taken from:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/can-squash-cross-pollinate-with-cucumbers.htm

Which brings us to the next fallacy of the wives tale. This is that the cross breeding will affect the fruit that grows in the current year. This is not true. If two plants cross pollinate, you won’t know it unless you try to grow the seeds from the affected plant.

I only isolate a few plants for pure seed but have still never had a know cross from any saved pepper seeds. I don't know if its luck or lack of pollinating insects?

Back