Pepper color and DNA ???

Best I know about dna and color was eye color from Jr. High science class.  You know, the blue eye and brown eye, recessive and dominant stuff.  I am wondering if there exists a chart or system with pepper color the same way there is with eye color.  Kind of like cross this color with that color and you can get these colors guide.

AJ Drew said:
Best I know about dna and color was eye color from Jr. High science class.  You know, the blue eye and brown eye, recessive and dominant stuff.  I am wondering if there exists a chart or system with pepper color the same way there is with eye color.  Kind of like cross this color with that color and you can get these colors guide.
Its an interesting question. I imagine you would need to selectively breed it in at least to an F8 generation to make it stable right?

Voodoo 6 said:
no that is like trying to predict the future..mother nature is not predicable ehehe.
Not necessarily true.. eye colour can be predicted based on known genes. As well as the % of chance based on genes.

No reason why colour of chillies would not be predictable at least to a percentage if the the colour changing genes are known. If you know the genes that are carried in two different coloured chillies and cross them you should be able to calculate the chance of each possible colour occurring due to dominant and recessive genes.

Nature can be predicted to very high accuracy hence why we can predict both eye colour as well as send probes to Pluto.. all in the math.

There is this giant pollen cloud that drifts from morocco to Spain every year, it doesn't care about math. You can ask a weatherman about predictions and accuracy hehe, his job depends on a sort of funny haha sort of thing.

Voodoo 6 said:
There is this giant pollen cloud that drifts from morocco to Spain every year, it doesn't care about math. You can ask a weatherman about predictions and accuracy hehe, his job depends on a sort of funny haha sort of thing.

There is no pollen cloud in my grow room.  If we translate what you just said into human terms, you've basically said ye but the mama sleeps around and the Navy just came to port.    Lets think more like test tube babies where we know who mama and papa are for sure.

Remember, I am not all that bright about dna.  Just know what I learned in earth science class.  In humans this is how eye color works fro what I remember.

B = Blue
Br = Brown

Since Blue is recessive, the genes in a blue eyed person are B x B.  Always a blue eyed baby.

Brown is dominant, so each parent could be B x Br or Br x Br.

So two brown eyed parents could both be Br x B and one in (I think 4) kids will have blue eyes. 

Mama is Br x B - Brown eyes with blue recessive.
Papa is Br x B - Brown eyes with blue recessive.

Children can be
B x B - blue
Br x Br - brown
Br x B - brown
B x Br - brown

See what I mean?  I would think that peppers might have a similar structure for color dna.  After all, although there are many different variety the same is true of humans but the eye color doesnt much care about that.

Back in the early 90's there was experiments crossing various species, one successful experiment comes to mind:

Having successfully crossed the world fastest shark the short fin mako and the world fastest dolphin Dall's porpoise, top scientist could not even predict the outcome: 18 time Gold Medal winner Michael Phelps....

Or on the topic of color variance, how about the unholy alliance between 2 demons resulting in Darth Maul...

As with most things related to genetics, it's usually pretty complicated. Even the brown/blue eye isn't as simple as once thought; over 5 different genes contribute directly to eye color and some indirectly (pigmentation density, etc). Identical twins can even have different eye color.

I also had a strong interest in Capsicum genetics earlier this year and there are some really nice resources (like thegreenman showed). It's just difficult to find sometimes. I work at an academic institution so I have access to journal articles that offer some good specific information. If anyone is interested in PDFs of these articles, just PM me and I'll get them to you.

If you don't want to PM me, I'll just leave some of the more interesting bits here:   ;)

As a general rule, red is a dominant color
Multiple genes need to be dominant to retain red color (ie, if any of those genes are homozygous recessive, fruit will not be red)
White is fully recessive
Fruit size and immature fruit color are controlled by the same genes (ie, not all combinations are possible)
Fruit size and flowers/node are somewhat controlled by the same genes as leaf color
Multiple flowers/node is driven by 3 dominant genes, but a plant with recessive genes at one skips over the other 2
As a general rule, upright fruit is recessive
Excessive corking is recessive

Unless you are growing in a clean room the test tube babies are off the table hehe. Awesome info Green and Peter. Go Phelps!!!

Guy can probably keep a doobie lit underwater and still set records.

Back