• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper db help for THP site

I don't see the need for a map when one word can tell you where it's from seems like clutter especially when it's countries and we all know where they are.

Or a map showing pins of where all the peppers are from would be neat... okay this is getting too complicated lol... but I would look into that later on.

If you are looking to grow a pepper but know nothing about it.... that's the info we need. So think of what you want to see if about to grow an unknown... and keep it coming!

https://dl.dropbox.c...2/Pepper DB.htm

here is what I've got so far... OBV you wouldn't need some of those fields (seed counts whether its open polinated and so forth).... Also the data is far from complete... BUT you could use it as a starting point if you like...

You might think about adding a field indicating if its stable or unstable, heirloom or hybrid...

EDIT: Also the F generation if known IE F1, f2, f3, and so forth including the parents if known.

if possible it would be awesome with possibility to comment on the varieties - there is so much aditional info that is interesting to hear, for example if ppl prefered to grow it in container, or the ground, and if it was container what size. so much can be learnt from a few lines of info from a grower and some pics to show the results.

I think comments would get to cluttered and since it's wiki-style you could just add to the description. Comments would make it a harder read, as in, say there is a really good tip on comment #30. And before that a bunch of people chatting with smilies etc. I'd rather keep it more clean. I think. We'll see.

This sounds like it would work out amazing, with the collection of knowledgeable members here, I think you;d be amazed at the rate that the info would flow in. I like the idea

The best database in terms of information on the attributes of the plants and their fruits that I've come across is on CCN ChilePlants.com site. I found it useful when I was looking for plants that mature quicker and produce a crop earlier.

Having a reference that has information on the colours a pod changes through has been useful to identify or verify the identity of plants I've grown.

I'd be interested in the flavor profile info. There again, don't know who or how those profiles would be compiled, as we all know everyone's tastes are different. Probably just have to go with i-net posted descriptions to start.

One characteristic of the profile that could be listed is sweetness. I've only come across one variety this season that had noticeable sweetness.

Whether something is considered to be citrusy or not comes up at times. This though is a characteristic I've found that varies depending on conditions for some varieties.

Flavour could be ranked on strength from very little to very strong.

How about whether or not a variety is GMO or not? You could put just a generic "Type" category, and beneath it: Organic, Hybrid, GMO (or any apropriate combination), Monsanto Non-GMO might be a good one as well although I think thats a short list.

Aren't "organic, hybrid, etc" type labels specific to the grower/seller? whether something is "organic" has no bearing on it's flavor, shape, growing habits. Perhaps those attributes might be best saved for the Marketplace, and not be part of a general chile db.

2 Harry, your comments are right on.

The general flavor profile of any given chile is subject to the taster, the grower, and a hundred other factors. But it would be great to have a resource that somewhat profiled the flavor of the chiles in a consolidated form. Even from personal tastings, some love the douglah, we didn't like the flavor. Thought it tasted like "dirt", earthy, but others have loved the taste of that chile. So, in the end, it's still all up to personal taste.

Typical use (eg. dried, sauce,...) field may be also of interest.
Other than well known db (chileman, g6csy,...) ive found this wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capsicum_cultivars

tiny list at the moment but i like the wiki approach.

Cya

Datil

Aren't "organic, hybrid, etc" type labels specific to the grower/seller? whether something is "organic" has no bearing on it's flavor, shape, growing habits. Perhaps those attributes might be best saved for the Marketplace, and not be part of a general chile db.

The general flavor profile of any given chile is subject to the taster, the grower, and a hundred other factors. But it would be great to have a resource that somewhat profiled the flavor of the chiles in a consolidated form. Even from personal tastings, some love the douglah, we didn't like the flavor. Thought it tasted like "dirt", earthy, but others have loved the taste of that chile. So, in the end, it's still all up to personal taste.

One twist on the idea would be to be able to link a variety to other varieties that it tastes similar to. I don't think people should rank how a variety tastes after trying just one pod or a small sample. There seems to be more than the odd comment about of I tried one but it tasted <bad or insert other synonym>.

I disagree on the Hybrid and GMO labels being grower-specific. If its a hybrid, its good to know so there is expectation for seed saving. Same for GMO, as there are then legal issues with seed saving. Not too many GMO peppers that I'm aware of, though I'm sure there are more coming at some point. Organic, I agree with. That one isn't specific to the variety of pepper, while Hybrid and GMO definitely are.

THP has already said no comments, but I will say that this is one of the helpful elements about the Dave's Garden DB. It shows where it has grown successfully (they have you input your city voluntarily) and allow for ratings/comments. Just like shopping for something online, you can often learn much about an item, sometimes more from negative comments than positive. It also allows for more detailed flavor profiles of the peppers, and might just help isolate, over time, what makes those flavors change.

In this case, Harry, as with other online comment systems, sheer volume allows for patterns to emerge and doesn't require any stringent guidelines about how many times is enough to consider a flavor profile to be accurate.

We (several in this thread) have talked a little about conditions affecting flavor, but it might be helpful to be able to isolate what those conditions are in order to better understand why, say, a baccatum might taste "soapy" or "bitter" to some, and "fruity" and "sweet" to others, or even at different times of the year to the same person.

Organic was probably not the right word to use, maybe GMO and non-GMO would be better than Organic/gmo.

Hybrids are not grower specific.

There are true Jalapenos, then there are those that are F1 hybrids that seed companies sell. They are not reasonably stable until the 8th generation. Super Chilie for instance http://www.reimerseeds.com/super-chili-hot-peppers.aspx is a cross between two peppers, making it an f1 hybrid.

If you save and grow out those seeds, the next generation is going to be all over the map in terms of every atribute that the plant has (color, heat, size, shape, and so forth). Its important to know that the seed is going to grow true...

However, if you meant open polinated (Which should really be listed as isolated/non-isolated as opposed to open polinated but I digress) THAT is unique to the grower, AND that might produce a hybrid, but not neccesarily... Does that make sense?

Plus, GMO is a big deal for some of us, and I don't know of any other database that lists that bit of information.

This is still in the works feel free to add your thoughts.

It's a wiki-style with permissions to prevent abuse.
It is categorical on the db end, but if there is a comment, a topic is bumped in the forum, as a mirror. This allows you to keep a thread going of the pepper in the forum, but if you want to look up peppers alphabetically, you visit the db main page and find it. Once you find the pepper you can comment, which bumps a thread in the forum (a mirror). It's very advanced and we apologize it is taking so long. So if you have any new input, please post your thoughts. Hopefully we can finally get this up this summer or fall. Thanks!

The Hot Pepper said:
This is still in the works feel free to add your thoughts.

It's a wiki-style with permissions to prevent abuse.
It is categorical on the db end, but if there is a comment, a topic is bumped in the forum, as a mirror. This allows you to keep a thread going of the pepper in the forum, but if you want to look up peppers alphabetically, you visit the db main page and find it. Once you find the pepper you can comment, which bumps a thread in the forum (a mirror). It's very advanced and we apologize it is taking so long. So if you have any new input, please post your thoughts. Hopefully we can finally get this up this summer or fall. Thanks!

The API you are likely developing for the post-back to the threads, would be the kind of useful for some companion site ideas I have ...

THP, I don't know if it is useful or you may have already addressed it, but how about a section for A.K.A.?
Are there different common names that the same pepper is called depending on where you live?
Some visitors may be ignorant to KPCOFGS names.
Just a thought....

Thanks,
Bill

mmm sounds great

The Hot Pepper said:
Hey guys can you help me with a list of all hot pepper species please?

Heat level (1-10)

Lemme know and we can get the best db on the net going!

Heat level should be 1 - 20 .. giving that most sites use a scale up to 12-15 atm and leaving an additional 5 points for future heat.... most sites rate 1.5 million scovilles at 10 .. so you could get to 3m scovilles at 20 ....

Back