• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper flavor

That´s a good point, Winegums.... and i guess that same drive is causin´ conflict deep in my polluted soul.  I´m driven to try to cut down the sheer number of varieties I´m working with (but not so much the total number of plants lol) out of practical concerns, but emotionally, i don´t want to cut out any of my favorites, nor do i want to miss out on any novel-to-me flavors i might go apeshit over...

Shucks, i grow multiple strains of some varieties, hopin´ to see which grows best and-- more importantly-- which grows best.  I grew something like 7 types of yella Bonnets last year...I´m down to 3 yellow bonnets this year, but i´m growin´ 4 types of Jalapeños and 3 kinds of Serranos.  

I think most of us will agree that flavor is top priority, but for some of us, we´re tied up in the tiny nuances of these things... 

The Hot Pepper said:
Perfumey is a very subjective term because, of course, there are many different perfumes from the musky to the floral or fresh. But in relation to peppers, perfumey is more of... not the aroma, but if someone sprayed perfume on your tongue. It's a very sharp, caustic, bitter experience with floral tones. Similar to "gassy" above.
This is mostly what I get with ghosts or reapers, vs a very fruity flavor from something like a habanero. I definitely agree with that description.

Bicycle808 said:
That´s a good point, Winegums.... and i guess that same drive is causin´ conflict deep in my polluted soul.  I´m driven to try to cut down the sheer number of varieties I´m working with (but not so much the total number of plants lol) out of practical concerns, but emotionally, i don´t want to cut out any of my favorites, nor do i want to miss out on any novel-to-me flavors i might go apeshit over...

Shucks, i grow multiple strains of some varieties, hopin´ to see which grows best and-- more importantly-- which grows best.  I grew something like 7 types of yella Bonnets last year...I´m down to 3 yellow bonnets this year, but i´m growin´ 4 types of Jalapeños and 3 kinds of Serranos.  

I think most of us will agree that flavor is top priority, but for some of us, we´re tied up in the tiny nuances of these things... 
I would also like to trim down the amount of types of pepper after I find the flavours I love most. This year is my second year of serious growing and I went into it planning to expand my flavour horizons. Many of the varieties I have growing this year never matured before frost came last year and took them so I only had 2-4 pods from each plant that I got to try out. So I spent the off season hungry for more variety in my cooking. 

I'm most excited for the Pink Habaneros I have growing, a fellow Pepper Lover sent me the seeds. They're supposed to have Habanero flavour but very mild heat, which will be ideal for my beef jerky that I make in the fall.

I have heard anecdotal evidence that some cultivars have flavor/aromatic compounds that are best expressed with a certain grow style. Like the chemical/gas flavor being enhanced when grown in hydro or soilless with synthetic fertilizer inputs.

Personally it took tasting a few varieties before I was able to distinguish different flavours of hot to superhot chinense.

I think the biggest contributor to flavour profiles is colour. For example in my experience:

Red and Caramel Ghost - floral like pot puri (hated these)

Choc Ghost and Choc Hab - chinense taste with passion fruit and smokey tones

Yellow chinenses - generally sweet, mild chinense flavour with citrusy tones

Peach chinenses - mild chinense with tropical fruit and apricot tones.

Red chinenses - very variable with any of the above flavours. Ive had a Reaper X that was like fruit salad and others that just tasted like bell peppers

Un ripe/green - grassy like bell peppers

Its important to me to mention that you will NOT get the correct flavour profile of a chilli unless it is FULLY ripened. Any green will affect flavour and throw out the taste. I personally only eat chillies that have been fully ripe for a few days. I have seen reviews where the chilli still had some green on it and the reviewer said it tasted grassy.. well no shit cos its not fully developed.

So I guess imo the chemicals that make colour must contribute to flavour, though they cant be the only factor as growing conditions certainly have effect.

Perhaps some terpines are associated with certain pigments?

Winegums said:
I would also like to trim down the amount of types of pepper after I find the flavours I love most. This year is my second year of serious growing and I went into it planning to expand my flavour horizons. Many of the varieties I have growing this year never matured before frost came last year and took them so I only had 2-4 pods from each plant that I got to try out. So I spent the off season hungry for more variety in my cooking. 

I'm most excited for the Pink Habaneros I have growing, a fellow Pepper Lover sent me the seeds. They're supposed to have Habanero flavour but very mild heat, which will be ideal for my beef jerky that I make in the fall.
I gotta say, even though I appreciate the heat, I'm looking forward to the milds I want to grow next year eg NuMex Trick-or-Treat and a couple others. I really enjoy eating pods right off the plant, which isn't so feasible with anything much hotter than a hab.

Mr. West said:
I have heard anecdotal evidence that some cultivars have flavor/aromatic compounds that are best expressed with a certain grow style. Like the chemical/gas flavor being enhanced when grown in hydro or soilless with synthetic fertilizer inputs.
That sounds really interesting and could be a fun experiment. I'm not sure how you could really compare the flavor profile scientifically short of terpine testing, but enough anecdotal evidence can definitely show a trend.

Jase4224 said:
Personally it took tasting a few varieties before I was able to distinguish different flavours of hot to superhot chinense.

I think the biggest contributor to flavour profiles is colour. For example in my experience:

Red and Caramel Ghost - floral like pot puri (hated these)

Choc Ghost and Choc Hab - chinense taste with passion fruit and smokey tones

Yellow chinenses - generally sweet, mild chinense flavour with citrusy tones

Peach chinenses - mild chinense with tropical fruit and apricot tones.

Red chinenses - very variable with any of the above flavours. Ive had a Reaper X that was like fruit salad and others that just tasted like bell peppers

Un ripe/green - grassy like bell peppers

Its important to me to mention that you will NOT get the correct flavour profile of a chilli unless it is FULLY ripened. Any green will affect flavour and throw out the taste. I personally only eat chillies that have been fully ripe for a few days. I have seen reviews where the chilli still had some green on it and the reviewer said it tasted grassy.. well no shit cos its not fully developed.

So I guess imo the chemicals that make colour must contribute to flavour, though they cant be the only factor as growing conditions certainly have effect.

Perhaps some terpines are associated with certain pigments?
I definitely agree there and it certainly seems possible. I tend to prefer yellows whether they're bell peppers or superhots. I've only had a couple chocolates but I definitely prefer them over reds.

I'm thinking maybe not being able to taste the "fruitiness" in my reapers may be that they're seeming more and more like a cross. I guess I'll find out next season and get some seeds from Ed. I handled half of a "reaper" without a drink or anything, which isn't very characteristic of myself and I've yet to have a correct pheno so who knows.

I ate a waaaaay unripe JPGS that I'd inadvertently knocked off the plant last season. It had almost no heat at all and, in addition to the expected grassy flavor, it tasted very faintly of onions. Weird. That was the first pod I got off of that plant but all the ones I tried later were ripe.... Very hot, no grass or onion flavors. A whole different experience.

Stumbled upon this while trying to research capsicum terpenes. Thought I'd share it here  :cheers:
With respect to culinary pleasure, only rarely is a rigorous distinction made between taste and smell, as awareness of both derives from the nose/mouth realm, and both contribute to the overall sensation we describe as “flavor” or “taste”. Eating with a congested nose, or with the nose pinched shut, provides convincing proof that the “taste” of a particular food is perceived, to a great extent, by the nose in the form of an aroma, and rather less as a flavor, detected with the tongue.
For most of the (red) pepper grown throughout the world it is actually an appealing aroma that matters most, not how “hot” the product is. For this reason, a great many studies have been conducted of the various characteristic scents. Surprisingly, the aroma so familiar and typical for a green bell pepper is due almost entirely to a single substance: 2-methoxy-3-isobutylpyrazine (11); (Fig. 8). The human nose is able to detect this “pepper-scented” compound at the almost unbelievably dilute aqueous concentration of 0.002 parts-per-trillion (i.e., 2:1,000,000,000,000). This means that the so-called bell pepper pyrazine is, for [SIZE=1.2em]humans, among the very most odor-intense substances known[/SIZE]
Abb8_2.jpg

Aromatic (fragrant) components in peppers.

Apart from this pyrazine, there are a few other compounds that contribute to the overall characteristic aroma of a pepper (Fig. 8). It is of culinary importance, too, that the various pepper species exhibit significant differences in their aroma profiles. For example, among the volatile components of C. chinense there is no bell pepper pyrazine (11) whatsoever, so that here the typical aroma of green pepper is completely absent. In its place is β-ionone (21), as well as various esters, all of which lead to a corresponding fruity/floral bouquet.

C. pubescens presents a supplementary light, nutty scent, resulting from 2-heptanthiol (19). A mixture of short-chain esters, e.g., (20), is what gives the Tabasco variety of C. frutescens its powerful and characteristic fruity aroma [16].

As a result of the wide range of varieties, as well as the diverse growing conditions represented by the many cultivation regions around the world, the information about the aroma given above only provides a guide. Indeed, one of the charms of the pepper family is the fact that the culinary pleasure to be derived is ascertainable neither from size, nor color, nor place of origin. In other words, more than ample room is available for surprise.

Back