• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pepper flower parts

Does anyone know the width of a pepper flower stigma?

I ask because I'd like to get a tube one could place over the stigma while cutting of the antlers to prevent self-fertilization of one plant to cross fertilize with another.

Guillaume

Does anyone know the width of a pepper flower stigma?

I ask because I'd like to get a tube one could place over the stigma while cutting of the antlers to prevent self-fertilization of one plant to cross fertilize with another.

Guillaume

It varies, and doing that you are more likely to snap it off. Here is how I do it with near 100% success. Get your hands on one of those mini screwdriver sets (see below image) and use the teeny tiny flat head driver.

mini-screwdriver-set.png

Now what to do with the damn thing... Carefully cup the flower with your fingers, remove petals first (I use the screwdriver to scrape at the bottom part of the petals) when they are removed, use the flat head end of the driver to knock out the bottom part of the anthers (scraping from inside out to avoid contact with pistil) which are connected via a tiny little tube like growth. Slowly work your way around the flower until all have been removed while treating the pistil/stigma like nitro glycerin!

thumb_PHTO0030.JPG

Tip: When transferring pollen to the tip of the stigma, cancel out any motion from your hand and the flower by keeping gental contact between the transfer hand and the gripping hand. Also, I don't use the "cotton swab" method, I take a flower with tons of pollen and yank off the petals, then I find an anther that has a big "pistil sized" hole with an assload of pollen inside (falls out easily) and then I gently insert the stigma inside the "pocket" a few times to coat it nice and good. Then I tie some cotton string around the stem to identify it later.

I know that last bit sounded so hard core, but it's plant sex!

Good luck!

Back