• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper ID Help?

Ok, so I have been growing what I thought was Scorpion CARDI strain peppers, but am I wrong? I had several different seed sources and got mixed up on what plants came from whom. Anyways, the 4 plants I have had some funny shaped peppers on them, stayed green for a long time and today I had 4 ripe ones, so I picked them. They are sorta yellowish-orange and dont look like my red scorpions at all. So what are these? A cross pepper? These 4 all came off the same plant.
ScorpionCARDI-1.jpg

i thought the cardis were supposed to be yellow. never grown them but i thought i heard some of the videos say it was a yellow scorpion. i could be wrong. they look almost like bent fatalis. i'm sure they're real good though.

is the scorpion from CARDI actually stabilized? from what I was reading in the PDFs PRF posted, they were all referred to as landraces, which generally implies that there's a lot of variation between individual specimens...

Thats an interesting note Charles, thanks for the input and maybe you are right.

I did cut 1 of them open to have a look-see inside, it had brownish seeds, looked gritty, I threw that one in the garbage, wiped my knife off and cut another open. The next one had nice white seeds inside and a pleasant citrus aroma. I cut it into quarters and braved my fears. I tangled with the Bhut Jolokia last weekend and it kinda hurt me a bit, shouldnt have eaten such a big piece, but like they say "we learn from stupidity".

Anyways, it was instant heat, I managed to eat half the pepper and put the seeds into a cup on the drying shelf. Now 30 minutes later the burn is gone. On an interesting note, this pepper made my tongue throb for awhile in pain/burn, nothing beer couldnt sooth (but it didnt wash the heat away).

Thats an interesting note Charles, thanks for the input and maybe you are right.

I did cut 1 of them open to have a look-see inside, it had brownish seeds, looked gritty, I threw that one in the garbage, wiped my knife off and cut another open. The next one had nice white seeds inside and a pleasant citrus aroma. I cut it into quarters and braved my fears. I tangled with the Bhut Jolokia last weekend and it kinda hurt me a bit, shouldnt have eaten such a big piece, but like they say "we learn from stupidity". Anyways, it was instant heat, I managed to eat half the pepper and put the seeds into a cup on the drying shelf.

brave man right there. i don't eat any peppers raw. i like my bowels unscathed. pickled ones are something else though...

charlesNYC said:
brave man right there. i don't eat any peppers raw. i like my bowels unscathed. pickled ones are something else though...

You mean to say that you don't cut Habaneros into thin slices and put on sandwiches and pizza? I'm the only one that does this?
omg-omg-oh-my-god-shock-smiley-emoticon-000702-medium.gif

I found some pictures on another site that showed a pepper that looks like these, it is labeled Congo Yellow. Upon further inspection of the plant today I found what looks like a traditional Scorpion so I think this plant is just confused on what it is supposed to be growing. LOL

You can see the definate stinger in this picture, the yellow pepper below it is shaped like the 4 in the first post.
YellowCardi2.jpg

Another angle on the same pepper
YellowCardi1.jpg

Most of my CARDI peppers have the stinger like the ones in the plant pictures, but there are a couple that look like the ones in the first post. I do love this pepper though. Great taste to them and good heat, but not overwhelming like the superhots.

jacob

So is it true that if you plant seeds from a non stinger pod you wont get stingers but if you plant seeds from a stinger pod you will? Is the stinger a mutation that would make it a male or female pod? Or is there no such thing as that?

So I've been readig "The Chili Pepper Institute" a bit lately (University of New Mexico.) They state that, within a species, chili peppers readily cross-pollinate - so your real answer could be yes, and yes - you could have a cross.

P.S. for the beer drinker: The three things I've found so far that actually cut the heat pronto are 1) dry starch, such as saltine crackers or gold-old corn chips like Tostitos, or even plain bread (because it absorbs the capsaicin), 2) a small wedge of lemon (because of its astringent qualities, skin and all), or 3) sugar, as in the candy variety - gummi bears work amazingly well, in a flash! And sorry, the sugar content of beer doesn't qualify - it's too "wet." For those who curl the eyebrow at the idea of eating a wedge of lemon, let it soak in some hot tea first - the heat will somewhat cook it so it's not so intense. But really now - you're eating hot peppers and can't imagine putting a measely slice of lemon in your mouth!?!

Matt, those look on par. The cardi are not all going to have the stinger. Mine are just starting to pod up so I'll go snap some pod pron pics if your interested....although most of mine seem to have stingers....but some don't

You mean to say that you don't cut Habaneros into thin slices and put on sandwiches and pizza? I'm the only one that does this?
omg-omg-oh-my-god-shock-smiley-emoticon-000702-medium.gif
I have tried sliced up habs on pizza, and it was freaking HHHHOOOOOTTTTT. :mouthonfire: :onfire:
Maybe I haven't worked my way up yet, but for pizzas, I usually use jalapenos these days. Before I even knew about them (which was ironically not long ago), I used banana peppers. But when making tacos, I cook 3 orange habaneros with the meat after browning and draining it to give it a nice even heat. Problem with pizza is that when eating it, it'll go from not hot at all, to hot, to freaking hot, to insanely hot from bite to bite, since they're scattered across the pizza and the capsaicin is contained to small areas. When cooked into the meat for tacos or burritos, I've found that it is much more evenly hot (and actually, possibly less hot overall? But that's probably an illusion due to its even heat...).

It seems you could accomplish a similar result with pizza. As I posted elsewhere, I pulled my first cowhorn the other day (or whatever it is) and we tossed it in a salad. Ended up pulling all of it out, as it was too hot raw, but having been tossed together, all the other salad ingredients kept the capsaicin they had come into contact with - it was still a very, very hot salad, even with the pepper pieces removed. So it seems to me that you could put your shredded cheese into a bag, dump in slices of a very hot pepper, close the bag then give it some good shakes to coat the cheese with capsaicin. Hm. I'll have to give that a try myself....

Back