• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper ID: What does this very light green (Chinense?) look like to you?

I have some peppers growing indoors and they are generally doing fairly well for it being winter and light levels being lower, but I am south facing so they are still growing well, albeit a bit smaller and more slowly...

Anyway all my other peppers start very dark green or medium green and have changed color as expected except for this one...

The pods are now about 1 1/4 inches to about 2 1/4 inches in size now but are not darkening at all and the pods feel a lot harder than the habaneros and scotch bonnets I have growing.

The pod development seems to be a fair bit slower than my habaneros too... pods on my habs that came out at the same time as this one but the habs have all turned and I have been eating them already... however I've not had the chance to try one of these mystery peppers yet

Here are some pictures.....my camera isn't that great but they are pretty close to the color....

So what do you think it is??

HPIM1550.jpg

HPIM1543.jpg

HPIM1542.jpg

HPIM1541.jpg

HPIM1539.jpg

HPIM1540.jpg

don't rightly know...if they are "harder" than your orange habs, that probably means thicker flesh...may be a cross with some Caribbean Red in the mix...

sorry I couldn't help you any further...others may have a better idea...

they are pretty decent sized pods though....

where did the seeds come from?

Everyone told me seeds saved from supermarket habaneros and scotch bonnets would not grow... or maby 1 seed in 20 or 30 would sprout so I figured.. I like them both so, just saved a pile of them... and hoped to get a plant or two

so I planted them... nothing happened for a month so I added some more... a few weeks later I ordered some pepper powder from PepperLover and got some seeds as well... I dropped in some black naga seeds... but I only planted a couple of those seeds in the same container as I figured the other supermarket ones after the length of time they had been in the soil would not sprout.... and then a few weeks later I started getting sprouts.....and then more... and then more.... sooo... as you can see I have a bit of a mix going... hahaha

I was just half-assing it (next time I'll label and grow what I really want) figuring if anything came up it would be good... and that if the black naga sprouted I thought I could tell it easily from the others... all the others are pretty easy to identify... but this one has me a bit puzzled

Some of the supermarket bought peppers looked normal when I ate them but the plants that grew from the seeds are producing some strange looking habs (knobby and lighter green (but still no where as light as the mystery ones) when growing but still ripened to an orange) while others look like normal textbook habs... so maybe it is a mutant

don't rightly know...if they are "harder" than your orange habs, that probably means thicker flesh...may be a cross with some Caribbean Red in the mix...

sorry I couldn't help you any further...others may have a better idea...

they are pretty decent sized pods though....

where did the seeds come from?

could be a mutation. also the plants were more that likely open polinated since they are a commercial crop so crosses are possible. it does look a bit like carribean red like AJ said. it'll be easier to tell when they turn color. i'm sure they'll be good either way.

Yeah... they probably will be good.... I'm just a little impatient waiting for these things to start to change.... in the past month they gained about an inch to an inch in length... but they aren't even showing a slight hint of color change yet... Even one of the seemingly slow ripening habs I have was nowhere near this slow... hopefully I get some nice sunny days.... this overcast stuff seems to slow the ripening of all of my plants

could be a mutation. also the plants were more that likely open polinated since they are a commercial crop so crosses are possible. it does look a bit like carribean red like AJ said. it'll be easier to tell when they turn color. i'm sure they'll be good either way.

open polinated

forgive me but I am gonna be picky here on terminology...a lot of people use "open pollinated" when they really are talking about "isolated"...

open pollination means natural pollination due to wind, birds, bees, etc...

IMO most commercial vegetable growers don't give a damn about cross pollination...they usually buy starts from someone else anyway...

Hmmmm I've just done some searches on Caribbean Red peppers and I am starting to think this actually may be one of them.... the pictures I saw had a similar pod shape and that pale light green color too.... I never thought to look at Caribbean Reds... I was just looking at other habaneros, scotch bonnets, and the naga/buht jolokia peppers and couldn't come up with anything that really looked a lot like these.... I have some others here that are a similar in shape but turned peachy orange they too are a bit harder on the outside.... and seem a lot hotter than my other orange habs.... perhaps the store got a bunch of cross-breed Caribbean Red x Orange Hab peppers and the seed that started this plant got more of the Red traits?

It does seem to be looking like a lot of the Caribbean Reds I am seeing on google images now that I'm searching under that name..... can't wait to chew on one now.... :)

my friend grows green Chinese every year and his are long and wrinkly , so i would be inclined to say no
however i do agree it might be Caribbean red hab

thanks your friend Joe

It was pretty cold and overcast outside when it began flowering...they are indoors but it was colder than normal by the windows at night....it dropped a lot of the flowers before they had a chance to do anything... so it is pretty sparse right now... but it looks like more buds are starting...

I don't know who told you that supermarket pepper's seeds wouldn't grow. They should germinate fine but there is always a good chance that they are f1 hybrids grown for productivity, disease resistance etc. and these seeds will not grow true(each seed will grow differently)

Yeah.. they said it was because the peppers are refrigerated so they keep long enough to get to the supermarkets up here.. and they said it was something about them being designed that way so the seeds are non viable and so people don't grown them... yeah I guess it was all BS... but it took them for ever to germinate... but when they did... I think most of them came up... eventually I think the majority of them came upfter 2-3 months... good thing I killed most of them off when I thought it had some bugs on the seedlings and I sprayed them with some schultzes safer soap.... that killed off 90% of the seedlings I had going not to mention hit the leaves pretty hard on the more established plants I had going..... good thing though... I still have too many for my condo... and I've even given away 4 or 5 to a co-worker.... and still have about 7 or 8 plants going...

I am tempted to start some other varieties though... a planting of 7 or 8 should do me... I'm starting to get bored with the plain old habaneros I already have..... so Maybe I'll start some other varieties now to give them a head start and keep them outside next summer... it'll be 3-4 months before have to move them off my counter to a better spot so I think I should get going soon on some other varieties...

I started my existing ones early may.. and it took till october for them to produce anything.... granted a lot of that was due to keeping them mostly inside under normal fluorescent lights with only the afternoons getting real sun outside... and also having a few set backs along the way but I think I have things worked out a bit better now... bit it is cool that my indoor habs are all producing peppers now... the quality of the ones in the stores this time of year really suck in heat and flavour and these ones taste sooo much better than their parent peppers the seeds came from

I don't know who told you that supermarket pepper's seeds wouldn't grow. They should germinate fine but there is always a good chance that they are f1 hybrids grown for productivity, disease resistance etc. and these seeds will not grow true(each seed will grow differently)

Well here are some more shots of the changes.... so far.. possibly a reddish tinge to it... but a couple have changed from the light green...
no orange or red yet though...

First shot shows a ripe hab on a different plant in the back with the mystery plant in front.. one unripe and one having changed somewhat in the color so far... The bigger pods have yet to start changing though...

HPIM1556.jpg

HPIM1555.jpg

HPIM1554.jpg

Back