• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper ID??

While at a Swap Meet in Tucson I came across someone selling plants. They had a few pepper plants and I asked them what they were and they said Chiltepine. I have never seen a Chiltepine this large or shape. Since the growers were from Mexico I could not find out anymore (don't speak Spanish)so I hope someone can help me Identify. They average 1/2 inch in length and seem to be turning from green to black (no red yet).

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

That kinda looks like a plant I'm growing at the moment. I also have no idea wich variety it is, but it looks an c. annuum atleast. That black on the pods is from the sun, that will disappear.

my friend is growing these and he doesnt have a name for them either he calls them "tios" named after his uncle so i would also like to know what this specific plant is named!

Can not help you much but to point out it seems many kinds from all over get the common name of tepin, piquin, chiltepin even if they are not the same pepper just like several from different species even carry the bird pepper common name. Still a good looking pepper and it will be nice to have you tell us later how and what you think of it's taste.

Thank you for the help. I will do an update after the first pod matures. Here are two more photos with a little more detail. Measured the pods again and the largest are 1/2" long by 3/8" wide at the base. Thanks Dan

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

Can not help you much but to point out it seems many kinds from all over get the common name of tepin, piquin, chiltepin even if they are not the same pepper just like several from different species even carry the bird pepper common name. Still a good looking pepper and it will be nice to have you tell us later how and what you think of it's taste.

I believe bird pepper refers to any small podded variety with upright pods that easily fall off or can be pulled off and spread by birds.

Back