• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Identification, please....

My best guess it's a Super Thai Dragon. I have 3 of these going right now, all starting to ripen. About 30 per plant! Hot Sweet and Sour sauce anyone?!?!
IMG_0011-5.jpg

Srin I'll take some pix tomorrow. And somebody please again, explain F-1 Hybrid. Does that mean it's the first hybrid plant of a species? I have Cherry bombs from 3 years ago and they were labeled F-1 hybrid. Now they've morphed into an elongated shape. I think they cross-bred with some (what I think are small Thai chili peppers?) because they were accidently shoved into the same pot. The small Thai, or whatever the hell peppers they are, just popped up out of nowhere last season! I just left them to see what would happen.

I know I'm no help, but they look like what we've been calling Cayenne-esque and others have suggested Chile De Arbol-

like I said- no help at all,

Srin I'll take some pix tomorrow. And somebody please again, explain F-1 Hybrid. Does that mean it's the first hybrid plant of a species? I have Cherry bombs from 3 years ago and they were labeled F-1 hybrid. Now they've morphed into an elongated shape. I think they cross-bred with some (what I think are small Thai chili peppers?) because they were accidently shoved into the same pot. The small Thai, or whatever the hell peppers they are, just popped up out of nowhere last season! I just left them to see what would happen.
Wikipedia defines "F1 hybrid is a term used in genetics and selective breeding. F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation seeds/plants or animal offspring resulting from a cross mating of distinctly different parental types. "

Srin, here are the pictures of 2 of the plants:
IMG_0014-1.jpg

and:
IMG_0008-2.jpg

I cut one open today to taste, expecting hot. It was milder than a bell pepper Not even any flavor! So I have no idea what they are. Surely not hot Thai peppers of any sorts. Unless it's a cross pollination issue. They were next to my Chinese Giants and Tennessee Cheese peppers for a bit in their flowering stage. And thanks for that info.

And SalsaLady, I was kind of thinking that same thing until I tasted one. No hot means no good! Maybe my taste buds are just fried because I ate a fresh Bhut Jolokia last night and thought I was taping it, but my stupid iMac didn't do what I told it to do!!!! And don't get down on yourself! You're always a big help here!

If they were f1s then they were crossed before you planted them. f1s will all grow the same but the next generation f2s will all grow differently showing a wide variety of characteristics

Srin, here are the pictures of 2 of the plants:

I cut one open today to taste, expecting hot. It was milder than a bell pepper Not even any flavor! So I have no idea what they are. Surely not hot Thai peppers of any sorts. Unless it's a cross pollination issue. They were next to my Chinese Giants and Tennessee Cheese peppers for a bit in their flowering stage. And thanks for that info.

And SalsaLady, I was kind of thinking that same thing until I tasted one. No hot means no good! Maybe my taste buds are just fried because I ate a fresh Bhut Jolokia last night and thought I was taping it, but my stupid iMac didn't do what I told it to do!!!! And don't get down on yourself! You're always a big help here!
both plants, the pods are a bit different looking. might be F2's as suggested by Potawie
not hot !.. that reminds me of the pepper that once grew in my back yard , lots of thin long pods but not hot at all but it had that chilli fragrance. so my wife was happy to use them in all her cooking.(so that my son can eat the food)
i think it is a f1 hybrid pepper's seed.. which my wife threw out after DE-seeding them
p1010255s.jpg

Here's my issue now! I ate another one off the same plant and it was super hot! It's going to be Chili Pepper Russian Roulette with these!

A few years back I was given some seeds of what was supposed to be a C. galapagoense x a purple pepper the F1 plant didn't look like a C. galapagoense at all, so I have been just letting it reseed its self and every year it different, but it is very hot. As its a nice pepper I just plan to let it go until it stabilizes, which may take a few years, but it shows just how many different forms you can get from a plant that has crossed. :)
George W.

Back