vendor Pepper Joe

I purchased seeds twice from Pepper Joe over the winter 2012/2013, two separate orders for my 2013 growing season. Price was reasonable and the shipping time was prompt. My seeds germinated well and my plants grew. I purchased about 10 or so varities from him.

My only concern was that the pepper seeds for the Naga Viper and the Red Buht Jolokia plants were not true seeds. My plants did not get very large, but they were of decent size ~3ft tall or so.

I made a post for my 2013 glog and another member saw a picture of my collection and he too said the same thing that my red ghost pepper looked more like a hab and same with the Naga Viper. I had a yellow ghost plant that was about the same size and the peppers produced were for sure a ghost, extremely hot. The red ghosts from Pepper Joe however were hot but not ghost hot.

I emailed Pepper Joe with my concerns and he quickly got back to me and said that it was probably just do to the plants size etc. I have since had another member on this forum send me true seeds which I will be growing along side the seeds from Pepper Joe I have saved from last season. But given the other posts I have seen regarding his Red Ghost peppers I think he may have had either a pollen contamination of his Ghost Plants or a mix up in his labeling process because I am pretty certain they weren't ghost peppers.

I would say that his prices are fair and I would consider ordering through him again, it is nature we are dealing with and sometimes things happen that are out of peoples control. He does seem to try pretty hard to keep customers satisfied and he seems to stand by his word. But I would rather trade my seeds with the community than purchase them anyways.

Attached is a photo of the plants I grew with the two varieties, the ghost and viper I was concerned about for you to judge for yourself. I am sure he would send out replacement seeds but it would be redundant as I got true seeds for free from swapping on THP. 

Qzv0WxS.jpg

reebus said:
With SuperHots many pods become more 'true' as the summer goes on and the weather gets hotter.
And everyone on The Hot Pepper forum, growing all kinds of chiles year after year think YOU know everything.

I have an Apple tree that when the fruit starts to come on, they look like Cherries. Not until the 2nd day of the third week of September do they look like Apples. :liar:

Not promoting or defending, I had good and bad experiences with him in the past....
If it isn't known, his operation limits his control on the seeds. If I'm one of his contract growers and I said I would grow one type or two isolated and didn't or mixed the seeds, he wouldn't know until someone received the seeds my plants produced and complained.... I don't know if he keeps track of what seeds came from which growers and who they were eventually sold to, or if everything from contracts are mixed or what....

So you're saying he doesn't grow them himself? That's good to know. Still doesn't excuse the oddball excuses though.

That said some of the first seeds i ever got were from him, growing them or this year, so let's see if my white habs and fatalii are indeed what they are.

filmost said:
So you're saying he doesn't grow them himself? That's good to know. Still doesn't excuse the oddball excuses though.

That said some of the first seeds i ever got were from him, growing them or this year, so let's see if my white habs and fatalii are indeed what they are.

I'll send you some white hab seeds if they aren't. Cause white habs are the bomb and I saved a lot from last season.

Jeff H said:

Well, that is interesting. I can tell you from first hand experience that my ghost peppers I got from Judy looked like ghost peppers in April, May, June, July Aug, Sept,  and October. Some months they were bigger and gnarlier and during the beginning and end of the season they were smaller but not once, never, nada, did they ever look like a hab.

Wish I would've found this site sooner and not have had to deal with it but you live and learn. I ordered most of my seeds for '14 season from pepperlover.com. I've heard nothing but the best about Judy and everything that she does and I can't wait to see the pods that are gonna come from the plants from her seeds.

I overwintered a few plants from pepperjoe seeds, so we'll see if I can get some true pods to sneak out of them this season.

zantrax said:
So is there any chance if I wait long enough, let's say I bring the habs that turn into ghosts in the fall inside for the winter, they will evolve eventually into Carolina Reapers, then maybe something new? Are peppers pokemon?

You should see my 6 year old jalapeno. It is putting out Trinidad scorpions this year. Can't wait until next year.

Jeff H said:

You should see my 6 year old jalapeno. It is putting out Trinidad scorpions this year. Can't wait until next year.

This section is for REAL reviews, if this is a joke, this is not the place and NOT FAIR to the vendor!

Everything I bought from pepperjoe that terminated grew true.

I can't say I had a really bad experience, more alot of bad timings on stuff.... about half of my order didn't germinate, replacements were offered, if I could provide an order number, for some odd reason I can't find any emails or replies with the order number. I decided not to push the issue, about the same time as the Carolina reaper stuff came about, and through trades, I don't have the space to grow more varieties.

On his grows, he made a post here years ago looking for new growers. And I would imagine he grows some on his own, as well....

The Hot Pepper said:

This section is for REAL reviews, if this is a joke, this is not the place and NOT FAIR to the vendor!

Sorry boss, didn't mean to step on any toes. I didn't imply in any way that my post was about seeds I received from Pepper Joe. This in no way reflects on Pepper Joe, his company, or his seeds. 

My story is related, however, to the purported claim that peppers that look just like habaneros can magically look more Bhut-ish as the season wears on. If that purported statement did come from PJ, then my sarcasm is appropriate in this thread. I would ask PJ to comment. Either he said it or what is being reported isn't correct. 

O dear, my little plants are from him, I'm so looking forward to the fruit, hope I got what I ordered. I'll be sure and post a picture here when my little carolinas produce

I didn't have the best germination rates with the seeds I got from pepperjoe, but one big annoyance that has just come up is the Charleston cayenne I am growing from him is growing some of the prettiest jalapeños I've seen in the last month. I only had one of all of the cayenne seeds germinate so I was looking forward to getting some peppers out of it and make powder. Definitely disappointing.

EliteMcScruffin said:
I didn't have the best germination rates with the seeds I got from pepperjoe, but one big annoyance that has just come up is the Charleston cayenne I am growing from him is growing some of the prettiest jalapeños I've seen in the last month. I only had one of all of the cayenne seeds germinate so I was looking forward to getting some peppers out of it and make powder. Definitely disappointing.
Can you post pictures in another thread. If you are talking about how ugly and yellow the plant is...well that is just normal for them

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Can you post pictures in another thread. If you are talking about how ugly and yellow the plant is...well that is just normal for them
Nah I was saying the cayenne was mislabeled as it is growing as a jalapeño. Cayenne and jalapeño are pretty easy to distinguish, so I'm pretty sure there was a screw up on their end. Actually paid more for the cayenne than he was charging for jalapeños so it was kind of a rip. I'm too invested in the season to start a new plant, so in the end he just lost future business from me. From what I've read this is not a one off thing with them.

Back