• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper or weed? You decide.

With that red stem, that's what I was thinking: pokeweed.
I've had at least 5 of these stuckers growing in my garden every year for the past 3 years. I just can't manage to get rid of them.

Mature leaves and roots of pokeweed are poisonous. Symptoms of poisoning by pokeweed include sweating, a burning sensation in the mouth and throat, severe stomach upset, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and blurred vision. Death has occurred, but is fortunately rare. The seeds inside the berries are also poisonous. Because of their glossy color, the berries may prove attractive to small children, who should be watched carefully around the plant.

KILL IT, KILL IT!!

Oh pokeweed grows everywhere around here, it's just part of the landscape. Birds spread it. No reason to go all medieval on its ass.

Ratdz said:

Oh yes. We have THOSE in the area just not right on our property. I bet I got a seed in the soil I'm using.

"Symptoms of poisoning by pokeweed include sweating, a burning sensation in the mouth and throat, severe stomach upset, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and blurred vision."

So it IS related to hot peppers, at leasst in symptoms. :lol:
Think I'll kill it and if I want to experiment with 'medicinal effects' I'll go pick some from somewhere else.

Back