Pepper plants growing too large? And Pods falling off?

Well I took some photos but for the life of me 30 min later and reading the help I cant figure it out. There are no flash settings in My Settings. I guess I cant embed a small image directly here. The My media button doesnt have a way to upload anything either that I can find.  Sooo I hope someone can help me without a photo...

I planted several Aji Amarillo hot pepper plants from S America. When ripe they normally make about 5-7 long beefy bright orange pepper, 1-2" in diameter.

Well some of the plants are now approaching 6-7 feet tall and 3-4 feet around !!  :shocked:  Does anyone kow if I am supposed to be pruning them in some way like tomato plants? Topping them? There are numerous peppers on them but not as many as I'd think. Ive just never seen peppers this tall. I've also never seen this plant at all. I planted from seeds.

The other thing that is happening is pods are falling off. Not sure if its birds or just something wrong. Plants look healthy. No browning or bugs etc.Ive had over 30 fall off and only two make it to turn orange which is when they taste better. I tried to leave the greens ones laying out in the kitchen, but they still dont turn colors. They end up turning brown instead and not looking like something I'd want to eat. Soooo now Im thinking I might be better off dehydrating the green ones.

I'd love to share a couple photos if someone can also tell me how to do that here, or do I have to create a photo sharing account somewhere else and then link?

Thanks! :dance:

Go to Photobucket.com and sign up for an account.  It is pretty much straight forward from there to upload and post pictures here.  I believe that is what most people do including myself.  6-7 feet tall :shocked:, what are you feeding them!

No pepper plant can be too tall. Check this out:

7913784902_c910ff27e1_c.jpg

Legendary Glog:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30120-gurus-glog-2012

I know I know. I have them in my raised garden. Have a drip irrigation system in. I actually had to screw in some 1x2's to keep them from falling over.

Wow I just saw the photo you posted. Yeah thats huge also. I guess I dont need to trim them any then. My concern is they are putting too much into green growth and not enough into flowering.

Should I use something like SuperBloom on them? Tried that on my orange tree and it flowered right out.

Any idea on the pods falling off onto the ground or what to do with green pods or why they are turning brown?

Wow I just saw the photo you posted. Yeah thats huge also. I guess I dont need to trim them any then.

I have give credit to PepperGuru. That is his plant and pic. I just thought it was relevant to post it here.

I wouldn't trim anything.I think you are doing things fine just the way it is.

Use a regular balanced fert. Bloom ferts not necessary. Peppers grow and bloom at the same time so they cant put more effort into growing than podding.

Thanks. I havent been using any fert. Just seems there should be more flowers for as much green growth as there is.

Any idea on why the pods are falling off before ripe? Guessing maybe birds. But they seem delicate. I moved a couple of branches yesterday and they just fell off.

Also, did you see the pic I have where after they fall off green they are turining brown then they get a little translucent. I can only guess that either there is something wrong with them, or NOT all peppers change colors after picked? This being one of them? So perhaps I should be throwing them in the dehydrator instead?

Check to see if there are seeds in the peppers that fell off.

Baby peppers falling off plants with no sign of insect damage could be a case of improper pollination. Those baby peppers aren’t holding any seeds and since that’s the botanical purpose of those delicious little fruits, the parent plant aborts and tries again. Try planting marigolds with your peppers to encourage pollinators to visit.
Sometimes peppers fall off the plant because of the heat. We think of peppers as hot weather plants, but when the temperatures get above 95 or below 55 degrees, both blossoms and immature peppers falls off. Peppers fall of the plant when nighttime temperatures reach 75 degrees and sometimes baby peppers falling off the plants is the result of drastic change in rainfall or sunshine.

Ive seen those brown looking dots like on the one before. Usually its a stink bug like thing. They poke the pepper and then it turns brown in a circle and spreads. Most do not look like that though.

On the offside of it just being non insect related. Is it possible this pepper type just wont turn orange like a cayanne turns red after being green off the plant?  Hopefully someone else can chim in with more experience than I. 

Ive tried freezing peppers like this, but they always get ice build up all over them in the freezer bags.

20130707_101036_zps8722057f.jpg

Hi caritobito. Nice looking plants! On your photobucket page to the right of the picture you will see a box that says "links to share this photo". Double click on the one that says "direct". It will say it's copied. Then come to your post that you're writing and click on the little picture icon on the tools menu in the text box and paste the html link in the box that appears....click post, and you're done!

Or alternately, do all the steps above and instead of clicking on the image icon, click the first "paste" icon that looks like a clipboard.

The brown one, there are three, use the one to the left. Allow copying from clipboard. It will show as a picture when you post.

Back