• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pepper range 10k-100k opinions...

I'm looking to add 2-3 different peppers to my growing season next year(13') and thought I'd seek out some opinions.
I currently grow, with very good success, Scotch Bonnets (SB) & Jamacian Hot Chocolates(JHC) which for my personal taste is the hottest I wish to grow. Never of course had them tested for heat but I know that they have been as hot or hotter than any regular habs judging by many others reaction to them.
The SBs have a slight fruity flavor while the JHCs have a slight natural smokey flavor so I'm looking along those lines but......
I also like a Cayenne type of pepper ... lower heat but the flavors stand out more.
Tabasco & Serrano are another choice.

any thoughts or suggestions ?

They will be mainly grown to be dried (smoked & non-smoked) for use throughout the year.

Thanks.

If you're interested, pm your address and I'll send you some Korean cayenne-type chiles that they grow for medium hot red pepper powder (gochugaru) and red pepper paste (gochujang). They do well for me in zone 5... I grew 26 plants this year and got over 5 quarts of powder.
Pasillas,.Anchos, Jalapenos and Anaheims do as well as Serranos, and there are good short-season semi-hot and hot paprika varieties from Hungary. The Pasillas are fairly thin-fleshed and dry easily. The other Mexicans need to be at least cut in half to dry more quickly and thoroughly.

i would suggest a mix of chiles.. i did several ferments with pablano serranos jal. and habs.. they turned out really really good.. not terribly hot but i can always kick it up with a shot of superhots or powdered pods..

I got a chile pasilla de oaxaca this year, as Rosa Mexicano makes a salsa with those that I really, really like. The darned plant only put out two pods, though, and some critter got to one of them. I am going to try with that kind again next year, hopefully with higher production. Yummy, for sure, and the pods are pretty big.

chile de arbol comes to mind im gonna try them for 2013, some claim its better than any cayanne especially for drying,

This is one that will most likely be on my growing list.
I was going to grow these in the past but became focused on THC & SBs.

I got a chile pasilla de oaxaca this year, as Rosa Mexicano makes a salsa with those that I really, really like. The darned plant only put out two pods, though, and some critter got to one of them. I am going to try with that kind again next year, hopefully with higher production. Yummy, for sure, and the pods are pretty big.

got this from a search: It is a shiny deep reddish mahogany in color. The skin is thin and the flavor profile is best described as a sharp smoky flavor with hints of tobacco and a biting heat that lingers. The Pasilla de Oaxaca is considered a medium heat chile and comes in at 4,000 to 10,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Units).
ref: http://www.spicesinc.com/p-1659-pasilla-de-oaxaca-chile.aspx

I can see now that I not going to be able to limit my choice to 2 or 3 types. :rofl: ;)

I had problems with my Pasilla Bajio this year too. They kept getting Blossom End Rot... the only chiles in my garden to do so. I put in a few Holy Mole starter plants as an afterthought around early June, and they didn't have quite the output of the PBs, but nice big pods and no BER.

BER is frequently caused by a calcium deficiency. I use CalMag by Botanicare on a regular basis, and have had no problems with BER. The critter that got to one of my pods put a HUGE hole into it - teeth marks and all. Only one bite, though, so it must have been a bit on the warm side. :whistle:

BER is frequently caused by a calcium deficiency. I use CalMag by Botanicare on a regular basis, and have had no problems with BER. The critter that got to one of my pods put a HUGE hole into it - teeth marks and all. Only one bite, though, so it must have been a bit on the warm side. :whistle:
Hi Geeme
I know about Calcium deficiency... what I wonder is why that one plant and not the rest?

Interesting stickman because the same thing happened to me last year with my corno de toro Rosso plant which had the exact same amendments as my other plants and the same soil yet it got BER at one stage as well. Some plants just must be calcium gluttons

Also to the original question maybe try kerinting , prik ki nu, NTRs or Serranos or perhaps even
dedo de moca for a fleshier option??

Howdy fellow Ohioan, I can't believe how many of us there are on here (especially SW Ohio). Out of the 15 or so varieties I am growing over the winter ( grow log ) and plan to bring out in the spring in that heat range are Bohemian bird peppers, and Thai Orange on the top of your range (neither have germinated yet, just put them in soil) and Tobasco and Cayanne at the lower end. The mucho nacho is a damn hot Jalapeno though (but still probably less than 10k) and I have a bunch of them growing.

You should try some Fresno's. Probably on the lower end of the scale, but heat and flavor are wonderful.

Back