• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Pepper Seed Germination

Getting Ghost, Carolina Reaper seeds to germinate fast has always been a slow process, at least for me. I found a trick to make it super fast by complete accident. I soaked cubes of Rock Wool and inserted my seeds and placed in small glass condiment bowls (2 inch). I was cleaning my kitchen and put them inside my oven and forgot about them until the next day. I opened the oven and to my total shock, they had sprouted.
I had left the oven light on which is a simple 25 watt appliance bulb that provided heat. I checked at it was 75-78 degrees in there.
In 3 more days they grew even more.
Of course my wife was very curious why I was growing plants inside her oven!

Boardwalkempireactor said:
Getting Ghost, Carolina Reaper seeds to germinate fast has always been a slow process, at least for me. I found a trick to make it super fast by complete accident. I soaked cubes of Rock Wool and inserted my seeds and placed in small glass condiment bowls (2 inch). I was cleaning my kitchen and put them inside my oven and forgot about them until the next day. I opened the oven and to my total shock, they had sprouted.
I had left the oven light on which is a simple 25 watt appliance bulb that provided heat. I checked at it was 75-78 degrees in there.
In 3 more days they grew even more.
Of course my wife was very curious why I was growing plants inside her oven!

HuH?  Overnight sprout?  What did you soak the rock wool cubes in?  During the winter I usually start pre-soaked seeds in the heated portion of our house, on a heat mat with a dome on and never had them sprout overnight. You must have a secret soaking solution! :shh:   

Heating Up: I had soaked my seeds for 24 hours in a vinegar/water solution and soaked the Rockwool in nutrient solution. Besides that nothing really special.A friend of mine told me about the vinegar solution and I tried it.

Boardwalkempireactor said:
Heating Up: I had soaked my seeds for 24 hours in a vinegar/water solution and soaked the Rockwool in nutrient solution. Besides that nothing really special.A friend of mine told me about the vinegar solution and I tried it.

Interesting. I've had some awesome success utilizing H2O2 (peroxide) in a soak, but I must have been asleep during the vinegar potion portion of the germination class.

If you follow the Growdown Throwdowns in the Glog page you will get all manner of germination, cultivation, fertilization and lots of other friendly growing advice, like the tried and *ahem* true battery acid/PineSol soak...

:P

So what's the vinegar formula? one-to-one?

Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4), more commonly known as battery acid, is used commercially in the horticulture industry for scarification of difficult to germinate seeds (c. pubescens, roses, etc). Not sure if all acids would work or not, but vinegar is also an acid ( 5-10% acetic acid).

Back