• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper seed viability from peppers at salad bar

We probably all know Peppadew seeds are very hard to find and South Africa has a monopoly on them.

So i went to whole foods salad and pasta bar. They had the south african red and orange peppadews in liquid. All their cores were taken out. I mixed it and noticed there were some seeds still in them! I took the peppers with seed in them. Now the seeds were in oil, vinegar, sugar, whatever etc. I'm wondering if the seeds are still viable? I'm drying them out as i speak, is it a wasted effort?

That's got to be the best way I've ever heard to save seed!! Good Luck with that. I'm pretty sure the vinegar/oil combo did a number on them and would assume they were cooked at some point during processing. You never know though ;)

i had zero luck on pickled hot cherry seeds. i must have tried 200 seeds and yes, dried. i tried over the period of 6 months or so, hoping at least 1 would germinate. i tried both soil and baggie.

it could be the boiling of the brine that does in the seeds or the jar sterilization process.

hope the peppadew work for you.

Funny that you post this thread. Just last weekend I did the same thing. Was at the Austin, Whole Foods, picked out some of the Peppadews from the olive bar, and brought them home. Was surprised to see seeds in their, as I thought they had a rigorous quality control in Africa. Wondering if the ones from Whole Foods are grown and brined elsewhere, which is why perhaps there are seeds in the peppers. Dried some out, and was planning on giving it a go with them. Thinking though that the soak in the brine might have done them in. Let us know if they take off. I will do the same.

Back