Pepper seeds

I noticed a couple of you ordered Okra seeds. I didn't put any growing directions up on the website.

If you've never grown that before, that's a direct sow crop. Our test germination had it's first sprouts in 2 *days* and popped 100% by day 5. It grows rapidly once it starts going - at the peak of the season it grew a foot in one week. Harvest okra daily, when the pods are small (2-3"), don't let them get big, tough, and stringy. 

It takes quite a few plants to make a meal out of it, you need to plant enough you can get enough small pods in a day to cook with. We were pulling a quart or two every other day off of 4x 50' rows of it from late June through end of year. The plants grow to be 6-7' tall, I spaced 'em 2' per plant on 3' row centers, made for a good canopy but harvest was kind of a PITA once the plants got full sized.  Whoever was picking them would "disappear" for a while. 

Was kind of running joke at the farm last year, to find anyone in the veggie field we'd yell out "MAAAARCO" and you'd hear "POOOOLO" from wherever people were in the field; couldn't see anyone even if you were 10 feet away from them :)

Seeds arrived today and already in the starting trays.   :party:

And agreed, fried okra (from home grown okra specifically) is so good.  I had okra grow 8-9 ft tall one year, it was craziness.

happy to report im getting a high germination rate on all of the seeds ive received. now if I can keep them alive till it warms up.  lol :dance:

Zonengorg said:
Placed my order the last weekend! Thanks for sharing the discount!

Sorry for the slight delay getting those out, things have gotten very busy at the farm. 
cd689FL.jpg

GzMP515.jpg

kM5sAM6.jpg

bMfBEAC.jpg

9clRKvY.jpg

Got over 5,200 pepper plants growing in there

TrentL said:

Sorry for the slight delay getting those out, things have gotten very busy at the farm.

Got over 5,200 pepper plants growing in there

Amazing! No problems! What soil mix do you use?

Back