• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper size question

Does the size of a pepper plant determine the size of fruit? I have a Jalapeno plant that is about 13 inches tall and the peppers are only growing about 2 inches long. They are not very hot either.

I thinks sense the plant is still small its only giving so little nutrients and water to the peppers that end up small, and with a bigger plant bigger roots and with that the peppers get to be bigger, again thats just in my opinion

A wise man once said, its not the size of the pepper that counts... oh wait, that applies to something else...

A plant that is not fully grown, will produce smaller pods. They will also produce smaller pods late in the season, and early in the season as well.

Alot of people here recommend pulling the first round of pods to make the plant put its energy into growing. I tend to let my plant make up its own mind. If it wants to fruit, let it. If it wants to drop its buds, thats fine too. Especially my chinenses.. they seem to be more particular.

In my experience the size of the plant has nothing to do with pepper size. Environmental has a bit to do with it. Ive have very small plants that toppled over by large peppers and large plants produce small fruit.

shoot, i have a brain strain in a 5 gallon DWC that is 3-4' wide and 3-4' tall and it has been producing 1/2 sized pods, i ma waiting for all the pods that are on it to ripen adn hoping the next wave are regular sized! the little ones are kind of nice as they are still hot as balls!

Small plants can only handle a small pepper-load, so they can only produce so much and many of those pods are often dwarfed. Bigger plants will usually produce more full size pods. Early jalapenos are often weak in the heat dept. just wait until plants are happy and in full production

i had a cayenne last year that produced hundreds of pods but was only in 1 gal. pot.. the pods were sweet too.. no heat what so ever.. later that season, it looked anemic.. so i replanted it in a 5 gal pot and fertalized. a month or so later, i was bragging to my neighbor that i had the mildest pepper plant ever, and to prove it i pulled a nice long red one off the plant and bit 3/4ths of it off and began to chew.. a moment or two later my head split open and i spewed molten lava all over my yard.. and then cried like a little girl..

after i was done embarassing my self i told my neighbor to try one... he declined much to my disapointment

moral of the story: peppers that are mature produce bigger, hotter fruit.

I was leaning more toward climate when i said environmental. My established ghost had fruit start and then two back to back cold fronts came in and the fruit stagnated at the size of a dime while those that flowered during warmer times are now half dollar size on the same plants with the dime sized being there for weeks and the half dollar ones are a week old.

Back