• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper spray to the face

I was watching TV tonight and they we're talking about paintball type guns that shoot pepper powder balls. The idea is when the balls break, they powder gets in eyes, nose, mouth, etc. So it acts like a more localized, pepper spray.
As a "no one special" chilihead, I routinely use ghost pepper hot sauce on my food. I know serious chiliheads can handle far hotter stuff than I. So I wonder, if a serious chilihead was part of some anti-government demonstration. And that demonstration was broken up by the police with large volumes of military grade pepper spray. Would the serious chilihead be able to handle it better than the average protester?

As an above average chilihead that has been hit with military pepper spray dead in the face and eyes 7 times for training purposes...it doesn't help. There are a few that have less of a reaction, but pepper spray sucks pretty bad and there is no prepping for it.

You're talking about a far higher concentration of capsaicin than in peppers.. And in your eyes. In your noes and mouth. Down into your lungs. I've never been hit by it personally and never want to

stc3248 said:
As an above average chilihead that has been hit with military pepper spray dead in the face and eyes 7 times for training purposes...it doesn't help. There are a few that have less of a reaction, but pepper spray sucks pretty bad and there is no prepping for it.
I think that answers my question. I don't plan on personally challenging your results.

davidestesfl said:
I was watching TV tonight and they we're talking about paintball type guns that shoot pepper powder balls. The idea is when the balls break, they powder gets in eyes, nose, mouth, etc. So it acts like a more localized, pepper spray.
As a "no one special" chilihead, I routinely use ghost pepper hot sauce on my food. I know serious chiliheads can handle far hotter stuff than I. So I wonder, if a serious chilihead was part of some anti-government demonstration. And that demonstration was broken up by the police with large volumes of military grade pepper spray. Would the serious chilihead be able to handle it better than the average protester?
Slightly better than average.
Because we know it eventually goes away and isn't fatal---most of the time.
More of an "oh damn, this is going to be bad" than a "holy $h*t---I'm gonna die!!!!" :fireball:

Well I'm definitely not a "hardcore" chilihead yet, but I've been eating habaneros since I was little. Here's my experience... Me and my friends used to go a little overboard with pranks back in high school. I tazed my buddy after he passed out drunk, and a few days later he pepper sprayed me as soon as I opened my eyes in the morning. It was some police grade spray that he got from his relative who's a cop. It was completely debilitating. It honestly didn't hurt that bad, but it really interrupts your regular body functions. My throat felt like it was closing up, it became hard to breathe, and I had a real hard time keeping my eyes open. The eyes were definitely the worst part by far. I dunked my face in some milk and had my friend drive me around with my head out the window, but that barely helped at all. I don't think capsaicin tolerance has much to do with it unless you're actually putting it on your face like that Indian women did on that Gordan Ramsay show  :crazy:

Edit: I figure I should link that video for the curious...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9cB6Tu5_28

If the chili head doesn't go down from the pepper (plan A), the chili head gets the stick (plan B).
A suggestion for chili heads: GO DOWN! YOU
DON'T WANT THE STICK!

I say no. I think it would tear the normal chilehead up just as bad as a non chilehead. My wife was a correctional officer and had to be sprayed and she said it sucked. She says when I grind powders in the house it kinda reminds her of it.

stc3248 said:
Yes sir re! I went through the same training. No fun at all. The best part is now I get to watch all my new guys go through the same training. It's funny to watch how long they hold out before searching for that 5 gallon bucket of water. They use to give us the option Taste or Face. The guys that took the direct hit in the mouth suffered much more than those that took it in the face.

I eat superhots in as much food as possible. I got dropped by getting jalapeño in my eye. Just as bad in the eyes as the military pepper spray I have been hosed with a few times for "training". The eyes and mucus membranes don't tolerate anything.

Beerswimmer said:
I eat superhots in as much food as possible. I got dropped by getting jalapeño in my eye. Just as bad in the eyes as the military pepper spray I have been hosed with a few times for "training". The eyes and mucus membranes don't tolerate anything.

Yeah I got some residual capsaicin from a hab in my eye when I was driving one time and I had to pull over and flush my eye. No bueno.

this year I got a big dose of pepper juice and oil straight to my left eye wheh I bit into a rather juicy Moruga pepper.  I lost my sight in that eye and had to put up with the pain every time I tried to open that eye, along with my face burning around the eye and my nose running off my face  I ended up with  ice pack on my eye for a hour, I plan to be a lot more careful eating the pepper hurt but not as bad as getting it in the eyes.
I don't think that you can really build up a tolorence to being sprayed in the face with pepper spray just as you couldn't build up a tolorence to being Tazored.

wildseed57 said:
this year I got a big dose of pepper juice and oil straight to my left eye wheh I bit into a rather juicy Moruga pepper.  I lost my sight in that eye and had to put up with the pain every time I tried to open that eye, along with my face burning around the eye and my nose running off my face  I ended up with  ice pack on my eye for a hour, I plan to be a lot more careful eating the pepper hurt but not as bad as getting it in the eyes.
I don't think that you can really build up a tolorence to being sprayed in the face with pepper spray just as you couldn't build up a tolorence to being Tazored.

Wow you actually lost vision? When did it come back?

I lost vision for about 10 minutes, couldn't see a thing out of my eye when I pride it open, just darkness, to try and flush it out.
It was pretty scary as I thought oh my god I blinded myself, after I got my sight back in it I went to see my eye doctor at the VA hospital and got a exam to see what had happened as I have gotten pepper juice in my eye before and never had that reaction before. anyway the doctor looked at my eye and had told me that I must have gotten a big enough dose that some of it had passed through the outer part and in to the fluid where it inflamed the optic nerve causing it to swell some and stopped my eye from working, He did ask me if I had done any eye shots with Vodka because he had seen some cases where people had done shots of vodka to their eyes and had blinded themselves.
I maybe a bit crazy but not that crazy!. Any way he gave me a stern look and wrote out a script for some eye drops and told me if it happen again to get to the emergency room as fast as I could and let them flush my eye out.  I now make sure that when I take a bite out of a pepper especially a super hot that I have my glasses on and hold it where if it does squirt it won't get in my eye. being that I'm in my 60's and live alone I don't want to go blind, I could have just as easily got juice in both my eyes.
I have heard of people going blind after getting sprayed in the face with pepper spray and I could see how that could happen as the pepper spray is more consentrated and as you see in the vid the guy had his eyes closed, if they were open I doubt that he would have been able to talk on the vid let alone shoot a rifle after 15 minutes.

Back