• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Pepper varieties that prefer shade

I would like to start a thread about types of different peppers that actually produce better in shade as apposed to full or even partial sunlight. So what peppers have you had lots of success growing in shade? Which grow better in full sun? Location of course does make a big difference, as the closer you are to the equator the sunlight intensity becomes stronger, but we should still be able to get some good general ideas on this topic.

Basically all C. Chinense over here in West Aussieland.
If you don't our 40+Deg.C(104F+) heatwaves tend to  :flamethrower:  them(and us!).
Lot's of flower and pod droppage. The Annuums like cayenne, birdseyes etc seem to handle it better.
I'm sure you will get many different opinions on this one.

Micca

+1 plaisir8
Maybe some peppers don't bother to be in the shade (I think rocoto/manzano could fit here, right?), but to really love it, no idea.

Most of my superhots,jalapenos and banana's,loved the break from the heat waves that came in last year.They produced well,but that had as much to do with soil,ferts.and timely watering as it did heat relief from sun.

Chiltepins like part shade. Mata Frade seem to like a less sunny spot, and I would imagine any purple leaf pepper would be the same. I seem to recall that certain other wild varieties grow in shady spots, perhaps one of the wild type experts will chime in.

I grow black royal pepper in the living room.
From day 1 its indoor all year, no sun at all, it doesn't get any light except the from main ceiling for 3-4h each evening

Huge plant, very prolific.

I think all dark leaves peppers can do that

Shade helps to mitigate against the detrimental effects of high temperatures that some pepper plant varieties have less tolerance for than other varieties.  I have seen this with chiltepin, Datil, and especially Pubescens.

I also can't help you here, my peppers get sun from 7am-8pm and the only shade they ever get is if it goes above 100 for many days in a row, the. I try to pull them to a spot where the get a break from1-3 or so, except the annuums which are In ground but don't seem to have a problem with the high temps!

chile_freak said:
I also can't help you here, my peppers get sun from 7am-8pm and the only shade they ever get is if it goes above 100 for many days in a row, the. I try to pull them to a spot where the get a break from1-3 or so, except the annuums which are In ground but don't seem to have a problem with the high temps!
I suspect that plants grown in the humid South, can tolerate the heat. I'd like to hear from Arizona growers with their dry heat.

I have 3 Bradley's Bahamian (frutescens) x bhut crosses that were suffering in full sun.  The biggest plant would wilt all day and wasn't growing and the 2 smaller ones got very bad sunburn after having seemingly been hardened off for weeks. Now that they are in a mostly shady spot they are looking much better and the biggest is starting to take off.  They have big, soft and very dark green leaves which may better for shade.  As for pure varieties, I have a datil and a Peruvian chinense also doing pretty well on the edge of the shady area. My tepin overwinters are wilting in the sun on hot days so  might move them as well.

When I lived in the tropics, the plants that did best in full(er) sun were goat's weed, Fresnos and some Caribbean chinenses (congos, aji dulces).  Most of the other plants, including bhut-types, had to have a little more shade.  I know Tabasco did very well in the heat of the day and wouldn't wilt much as other plants, but I think it was partially shaded and I kept the  Aji Limon Peruvian Yellow baccatums in the shade as well.

- Tick

Back