• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper with most beautiful black foliage?

Bou said:
p.jpeg

7JPN from WHP; quite dark... nice little bastard!!

OK - Extracted from above - "7JPN from WHP" - Try clicking HERE for 7JPN from White Hot Peppers website.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Sorry I disappointed you. Next time I'll try as hard as yourself.

Jesus HFC.  Surely you can't be that sensitive?  Am I gonna have to put my white gloves on?
I was just stating that even after a Google search, I saw no pics of any foliage.  And that's what I'm after.
I wasn't bullying you, and you need to mellow out.

Yikes, gents, let's cool off a bit. <3

My guess is Bou is either trying to link to a picture that hasn't been made public on his Dropbox account or this just isn't the public link to it. Bou, if you use the attachment feature on this site, you should be able to upload directly; I'd use a relatively low-rez version of the image, though, since the space provided by default is small. [edit: A good way to test a link is to open an incognito/private browsing/etc. window and paste it in there; that way it'll be clear if you're trying to share an image that isn't publicly available.]

If you'd prefer, drop me a private message and I'll give you my email. I can upload the picture and host it for you.

Reactions: Bou
internationalfish said:
Yikes, gents, let's cool off a bit. <3

My guess is Bou is either trying to link to a picture that hasn't been made public on his Dropbox account or this just isn't the public link to it. Bou, if you use the attachment feature on this site, you should be able to upload directly; I'd use a relatively low-rez version of the image, though, since the space provided by default is small. [edit: A good way to test a link is to open an incognito/private browsing/etc. window and paste it in there; that way it'll be clear if you're trying to share an image that isn't publicly available.]

If you'd prefer, drop me a private message and I'll give you my email. I can upload the picture and host it for you.

Sorry guys, THP rookie struggling at posting pictures... I first tried with dropbox (public folder) and it seems to worked cauz I saw the picture but then it dissappeared. I opened an IMGUR account but I'm not familiar with this one neither so I might have some testing to do. Anyway, my 7JPN was looking almost exactly the same as yours so no big deal!!

solid7 said:
No disrespect to Bou, I appreciate the suggestion. I was just pointing out the broken link, nothing more.

No offense here Solid7, but thanks!

Not a lot turned up when I searched the name, but I just saw this post on Reddit about MAMP Black Berrygum. Looks like it might be a cool foliage contender, and the pod pictures I found were pretty awesome; I just posted asking for the seed source, in case anyone's interested.

[edit: He confirmed that it's this seller, which comes up when searching that name; however, it's currently showing as sold out.]

internationalfish said:
Not a lot turned up when I searched the name, but I just saw this post on Reddit about MAMP Black Berrygum. Looks like it might be a cool foliage contender, and the pod pictures I found were pretty awesome; I just posted asking for the seed source, in case anyone's interested.

[edit: He confirmed that it's this seller, which comes up when searching that name; however, it's currently showing as sold out.]

I bouht some M.A.M.P Black NGR and Black Bastard seeds from Towns-end-chili & spice and both are growing quite black until now. Still in early development stage so I can't predict how they'll turn out but I'll report  back in a few weeks.

I am interested to see which black or dark purple types actually taste good. So far, all plants I have grown fitting this description have tasted either bad, or had no flavor. I guess this could be a good project.

Bou said:
Black Bastard, M.A.M.P. Black NGR and Pimenta Puma. Seems they'll continue to grow blackish leaves

Those look great! Keeping them under lights? My 7JPN started growing normal green leaves when I moved it outside, apparently for lack of that high luminosity, but I don't know if that varies.

Yes, in a grow tent. They were under 2 Sunblaster 24" led but since a couple of days I upgraded to a Mars Hydro TS-600.

When I grow outdoors, I have best luck with black foliage in mostly shaded areas.  I grew out Kathumby Black on my covered porch, with < 3 hours per day direct sun, and they were jet black.  Got some photos haunting the site somewhere.  Both Cheiro Roxa and Fidalgo Roxa X Grao de Bode grew really dark, albeit with green undersides to the leaves.  I'm regrowing some Kathumby, as I feel they're the best candidate for foliage, although I wasn't impressed with the pods, in the least.

Reactions: Bou
Hey Solid7, when you say that you had best luck growing them in shaded areas, is it because they are less sun tolerant (compared to green plants) or was it just to make sure that the foliage will remain as black as possible?

Bou said:
Hey Solid7, when you say that you had best luck growing them in shaded areas, is it because they are less sun tolerant (compared to green plants) or was it just to make sure that the foliage will remain as black as possible?

To be honest, it's just how it went.  I didn't know it was going to be like that.  I just did a grow of ~20 plants, all in #1 containers, and they grew marvelously dark.  The ones outside in full sun were dark, but nothing at all like the shaded plants, which were from the same seed stock.

To be clear, though, there was zero issue with sun tolerance.  They just seemed to adapt to whatever they were in.  Maybe it was sun, and maybe it was the cooler temp.  Don't really know.

Back