• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper with no distinct flavor

I'm looking for a hot pepper that will add some heat to my chili without adding a distinct pepper flavor.

In other words, I want the taste of my sauce, meat, beans to be more distinct than tasting a pepper, but I still need some heat.

Jalapeno, habanero, cayenne all seem to have a distinct flavor.
Maybe the peppers they use in Thai food?

are you looking for buying the pods or growing for later use ?
I would think the reason for a overwhelming pepper taste would be because you added to many peppers, not because the flavor of the pepper its self. which there's several types of chiles that have less heat but good flavor to them.

I've had good luck with those little thai peppers & thai dragon, they're hot & not overwhelming flavor IMO, kung pao maybe ?

& welcome to the site

chilehunter said:
I've had good luck with those little thai peppers & thai dragon, they're hot & not overwhelming flavor IMO, kung pao maybe ?

Good thought on the Thai peppers, didn't even think about that. I agree on the heat and not a very strong flavor. Also might try like a Red Jalapeno compared to Green Jalapeno, Red to me tends to be sweeter and more of a smooth flavor since more mature.

Actually, if you just remove the ribs on the inside of the pepper, and process those, you'll remove a lot of the pepper flavor, but keep the heat.

What about just using the seeds?
Well, no, forget that. You'd need alot of 'em and it would make your chili crunchy.

Anyone try boiling the chilis? They say when you boil vegetables they lose flavor. For chili, they're gonna be cooked anyway.

I havent boiled just them, so I dont know.
but I do know the longer you cook or boil a chile pepper, you'll loose more heat of the pepper.
I learned the hard way when making my own salsa & for it being canned. I put the peppers in right away & it turned out I needed to boil off more of the water, so by the time it was done the salsa had no heat to it IMO. now I dont add them til half way through (or until the salsa has turned thick)

I am new in the pepper game but I do make my own chili and I use cascabella peppers which seem to have a mild taste and are in the heat range of the Jalapeno. 3 or 4 of them along with some cayenne powder will give some heat.

Purchase a pepper extract. Do a search on Pure Cap, n just figure out which is best for you. It has no flavor, just heat.

Now that I think of it, Frostbite by CaJohn's is supposed to be tasteless enough that you can use it in drinks.

if you want heat with (little or) no flavour, an ornamental may suit your needs. generally they are quite hot and don't have much of a flavour, as long as you don't mind a lot of seeds.

Back