• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppercide

new seedlings

Here are a few seedlings that I sowed about a month after my initial sowing. They sprouted up pretty fast. I used a combination of soaking the seeds in weak chamomile tea solution and then physically scarring the seeds/taking some outer seed coating out to get these results.

peppers003.jpg

Time to move 'em on up Doc. If it's got two or more true leaves I'd repot into something larger and start feeding them. Get ya a couple of good florescent lights, don't know enough about the high priced fancy ones to recommend, put them within a couple of inches of the plants and watch them grow grow grow! Good luck!

I stick my CFLs about an inch and a half away from my seedlings when they are that size, and let me tell you, they friggen exploded! Remember, fluorescent lighting isnt very bright, and the human eye is terrible at detecting how bright something is!

I have a light measuring tool, and it measures a '1' when stuck right up next to my 26 Watt CFLs, however when I point the same meter outside my window on a dull, cloudy day with no visible sun, it reads more than twice as much, a 2.4!

Anyway, here are some pictures of seedlings I had going under my CFLs, they are growing very rapid now.

Phto0099.jpg

Phto0100.jpg

Phto0102.jpg

SnakeDoc said:
Do you guys think I should transplant them to something bigger? They are in a standard 72-cell seedling tray right now..

personally, I wait until I have roots coming out of the bottom of the 72 cell trays (using seed starting mix)...I want them to have a good root ball before transplanting...I have not lost a single transplant this year doing it that way...

RichardK said:
I stick my CFLs about an inch and a half away from my seedlings when they are that size, and let me tell you, they friggen exploded! Remember, fluorescent lighting isnt very bright, and the human eye is terrible at detecting how bright something is!

Richard, how many CFL's are you using? I should really find those home depot clamp lights everyone keeps talking about.

SnakeDoc said:
Richard, how many CFL's are you using? I should really find those home depot clamp lights everyone keeps talking about.

It depends on how many seedlings you have, I used three "Y" shaped light adapters, each with two 23 Watt 2700K CFL.

Each bulb is at an angle with respect to each other, like below...

Light_Danglers.jpg

I also built a seedling starter, a 1 sqr foot box lined with foil with 4 CFLs above w/small fans for ventilation.

Of course you dont have to get that complicated, simply dangling a CFL or two over the seedlings will do the trick.

Richard, I have a Y socket, but for some reason, one light bulb flickers when i use it. I've tried this using the same CFL bulb brand/type on the Y socket too. Anyone here handy with electrical wiring? I'm an engineer but I can't figure it out...I wonder if the gauge of the wire isn't correct.

I've also eliminated the Y socket itself being the problem by plugging it into two other sockets.

Back