vendor pepperlover.com

I ordered my seeds through Judy after doing quite a bit of searching around. Her selection is excellent, the order shipped quickly and without errors, the prices are reasonable, and included in my order were 3 free gifts of seeds, including the rare Trinidad Scorpion Mourouga. Overall, I was more than happy with my experience and plan on doing future business with pepperlover.com. In fact, the only quibble I have, and it's a minor one, is that there were some grammatical and spelling errors on the website, which is less than stellar, but I'm not buying the website so I really don't care personally, just thought I'd mention it playing devil's advocate.

Thanks Judy!!

HatchChileFestival said:
I never got an answer to my email either, a couple of months ago. However, the seeds arrived. Germination is still a bit sub-par, currently. The Annuums aren't much better than the Chinenses. After 14 days, very few seeds germinated. It sure looks like the seeds are old. Seeds from other suppliers and my own have much better germination rates.

Ok, thanks, the fact that they came is relieving. The seeds I got last year from pepperlover looked older and the germination rates weren't the best but I did get sprouts,. I ordered more than I needed this year (100 seeds for variety and I need 2 plants, ideally that will be enough :P)

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

The only Chile-Head I knew that was close friends with Judy was Mike/smokemaster, but he has medical issues. Doesn't post much anymore but does stop by:

attachicon.gif
Smokemaster1a.jpg
Interesting. If he has medical issues perhaps it's best not to bother him but if he comes online next hopefully he sees this post.

Two suggestions:
If you place an order with vendors for seeds, expect a month at max to receive. That is how long for international orders at max. If you don’t get them, start a banned vendor list for orders that never come.
Second, germination of old seeds 3-4 years works great when I’ve used small cup with lid having small paper towel section inside moistened and on heat mat.
They still take only 4-6 days to germinate.

Sauced said:
Two suggestions:
If you place an order with vendors for seeds, expect a month at max to receive. That is how long for international orders at max. If you don’t get them, start a banned vendor list for orders that never come.
Second, germination of old seeds 3-4 years works great when I’ve used small cup with lid having small paper towel section inside moistened and on heat mat.
Depending on where you live and how a parcel/letter/registered mail gets sent, a month may often not be enough - international. The "record" last year was a book I ordered in the US. I received it after over 3 months! 2-4 weeks is normal for parcels, 10-20 days for letters. Registered mail often takes as long as parcels. German customs is one of the main reasons why it takes so long. But stuff has been sitting in US airports for weeks, too - according to tracking. Tracking isn't always reliable either.

I use different methods for germination - including the "germination bag method" which is usually the fastest and most reliable. However, not all seeds will respond by a much quicker germination or a significant increase in the germination rate. I had many different kinds of seeds this year. My own. Some from fellow forum members (trades) - some of those were as old as 2014 or older. And I bought seeds from Pepperlover (7 different plants) and Refining Fire Chiles. 25 different kinds of seeds. I only used 3 seeds when I was expecting a good germination rate - like with my own seed and RFC. 5 seeds for Pepperlover after what I read here. And up to 8 seeds for the really old ones I traded. With one or two exceptions, PL seeds are the last ones to germinate and the fewest that germinated. I still have them in bags, a second batch of another 5 seeds each will hopefully show results for the last 2 kinds I did not yet see a single plant.

I see you have successful methods as well for germinating seeds of various ages. You are likely correct on the international side as well. My success with one is typically two weeks, my other vendor this year, likely a month or longer due to customs. Amazing though how sometimes we blame the vendor for the control of countries customs.
Good luck with your plants.

Sleeper67 said:
I have not had any of the seed I purchased sprout yet... however every other seed from personal collection or other venders have popped

Yes the germination rate last year for pepperlover seeds was not the best.. but some did germinate!

Sauced said:
Two suggestions:

Yes, I will be using a 3% KNO₃ with water solution and soaking for 24 hours.
The orders took usually a month to arrive here, sometimes longer. It's still 8 months before the seeds need to be started anyway so that's no concern.

HatchChileFestival said:
Depending on where you live and how a parcel/letter/registered mail gets sent, a month may often not be enough - international. The "record" last year was a book I ordered in the US. I received it after over 3 months! 2-4 weeks is normal for parcels, 10-20 days for letters. Registered mail often takes as long as parcels. German customs is one of the main reasons why it takes so long. But stuff has been sitting in US airports for weeks, too - according to tracking. Tracking isn't always reliable either.

I use different methods for germination - including the "germination bag method" which is usually the fastest and most reliable. However, not all seeds will respond by a much quicker germination or a significant increase in the germination rate. I had many different kinds of seeds this year. My own. Some from fellow forum members (trades) - some of those were as old as 2014 or older. And I bought seeds from Pepperlover (7 different plants) and Refining Fire Chiles. 25 different kinds of seeds. I only used 3 seeds when I was expecting a good germination rate - like with my own seed and RFC. 5 seeds for Pepperlover after what I read here. And up to 8 seeds for the really old ones I traded. With one or two exceptions, PL seeds are the last ones to germinate and the fewest that germinated. I still have them in bags, a second batch of another 5 seeds each will hopefully show results for the last 2 kinds I did not yet see a single plant.

Yes, Germany post sounds similar to here. It's funny, I can buy seeds from a vendor here and if they post it, it might take 2 weeks (within the same country) yet an amazon order from the other side of the world can arrive within 5 days :\

Sauced said:
I see you have successful methods as well for germinating seeds of various ages. You are likely correct on the international side as well. My success with one is typically two weeks, my other vendor this year, likely a month or longer due to customs. Amazing though how sometimes we blame the vendor for the control of countries customs.
Good luck with your plants.
Yup. I'm not at all blaming the vendor here, it's just that they didn't send out a notification that the seeds have been sent. They sent notifications last year so I'm not sure if they've even been sent.

SuburbanFowl said:
Yes, I will be using a 3% KNO₃ with water solution and soaking for 24 hours.
I use .25g of Ga-3 (Gibberellic acid) and 1.0 g of KNO3 in a quart/liter of water for the tough cases.

.... it might take 2 weeks (within the same country) yet an amazon order from the other side of the world can arrive within 5 days :\
Yes - sometimes some carriers prove that it can be done. For a price, though. FedEx (not express, the cheapest kind) got an item to my doorstep from California to Munich within 3 days. DHL or cheap carriers within Germany sometimes goof for a week and more.

If you want to experience rock bottom in delivery times, try Italian post or Russian. A postcard from Italy (way up north close to the Austrian border) to Germany can easily take 3-4 weeks, a parcel took over 3 months from central Italy 2 years ago. Don't mention Russia. Sending and receiving stuff to/from there can be a terrible experience, not always ... but...

I placed an order with PL a little more than a week ago. After receiving no shipment notice after a week, I sent an email to the hotmail address yesterday. Received a reply this morning stating, among other things, "We are having family emergency we will refund your order along with others."

The message wasn't signed, but was written in the same ESL style we've come to expect. Hopefully the family emergency will be happily resolved and refunds are forthcoming.

Sawyer said:
I placed an order with PL a little more than a week ago. After receiving no shipment notice after a week, I sent an email to the hotmail address yesterday. Received a reply this morning stating, among other things, "We are having family emergency we will refund your order along with others."

The message wasn't signed, but was written in the same ESL style we've come to expect. Hopefully the family emergency will be happily resolved and refunds are forthcoming.
Oh no, that's not good to hear :(. Hopefully they pull through! <3

Just received notice from PayPal of full refund, along with this note:

"Note from www.PepperLover.com: Sorry we are having family emergency we will reopen soon"

Dulac said:
That really sucks. Judy is stand up. I came here after seeing that her site is down. I was planning to order seeds from her since she has a really good reputation with me. I know she will do everyone right. 
Sorry to disappoint you. Judy is not a part of pepperlover any more - at least that is what has been written in this thread a couple of times before. And that was quite a while ago. Chances are, that pepperlover will be gone sooner or later, too. Doubtful if it will reemerge from the current offline status.

stettoman said:

Yep, and they list Aji Oro in their inventory, though sold out for now. I'm trying the "notify me" button, which has never worked for me before, hopefully they're back at 100% and manning the front office...

The last time I tried it (Quite some time ago.) it was in-op, let us know if you get an update - even a year from now!

Back