• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Pepperoncino, italian sweet varieties - what's their production like?

I got several of these two plants. They are between 18" and 30" tall, the shorter ones are quite a bit bushier so they seem to have roughly the same amount of flowers right now. They are all COVERED in flowers. 50+ per plant.

I never picked a flower on these, thus I have 21 peppers growing between 4 plants, some pretty big suckers on the italian sweets too. They look like 6-8" long bull horn's.

Weather here has been pretty good and it's expected to stay between 20-24c with lows to 12c the next 10 days at least. I think we are firmly into summer here now. Should stay decent until sept I hope.

From a rough production perspective, am I looking at having a bunch of peppers here for real or will I likely only see a few of these flowers actually turn into peppers?

This is my first year with these varieties. I'd crap my pants if I got more then 2 dozen peppers off these 4 plants. Should I get a diaper ready?

lostmind said:
I got several of these two plants. They are between 18" and 30" tall, the shorter ones are quite a bit bushier so they seem to have roughly the same amount of flowers right now. They are all COVERED in flowers. 50+ per plant.

I never picked a flower on these, thus I have 21 peppers growing between 4 plants, some pretty big suckers on the italian sweets too. They look like 6-8" long bull horn's.

Weather here has been pretty good and it's expected to stay between 20-24c with lows to 12c the next 10 days at least. I think we are firmly into summer here now. Should stay decent until sept I hope.

From a rough production perspective, am I looking at having a bunch of peppers here for real or will I likely only see a few of these flowers actually turn into peppers?

This is my first year with these varieties. I'd crap my pants if I got more then 2 dozen peppers off these 4 plants. Should I get a diaper ready?

Yes
cid_04a501c9b30f08ba05a09C294EE6jer.gif

I have one and it's growing faster than all the rest of my plants by far. It's only about 15" and is covered with buds and a few flowers. I give it another month and it should have a ton of fruit on it. Where all my other plants are just starting to produce buds and haven't flowered yet. Although I only started my plants about 2 months ago if that.

The Italians I had last year put out a similar number to the Greeks I still have. So YES, you should get a lot of peppers. And if you pick them all they will be back with a vengence within the week.

The Corno di Toro (Italian Bull/ramshorn type) peppers are especially great for grilling and sauteing. I'm growing the super shepherd this year and its starting to get productive but it was a bit of a late start

I'll have to keep an eye on these guys then. I really am not sure how these taste but I am hoping they are good eats. :)

Back