• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Pepperproblem`s dried pods get made into powder

Nightshade said:
Did you save seeds? Would be cool to grow out and see what it is
Unfortunately I did not. There are 200-300 plants to deal with, a chest freezer full of peppers and I could not bring myself to save seeds from an unknown. Now my brain is back in park, I should have saved seeds and given them away to people here. Sorry I didn`t.
romy6 said:
My guess is chocolate morouga by the shape :drooling:  
I know that Shawn did grow Chocolate Moruga HIXS last year and had a plant or two this year. However, I found a bag in the freezer that is labelled "Chocolate M" and the pods are not the same as the dried ones. They are a lot larger and have a very definite Moruga shape. There is a very large bag of chocolate pods in the freezer (maybe 150 pods), so I dried a tray full and they look extremely similar to the ones I used for the powder. I`ll post a picture of the pods in the bag and you can tell me what they are. 
I think this is the batch that were dried and i made powder with.

These were labelled "Chocolate M"

Size comparisons. Far right are the "Chocolate M" then the unknowns, then a Black Naga.

I have done that too. Unfortunately, the rubber gasket did not stay attached and I had to sift the powder so I would not have tiny bits of gasket material in the jars. Got fried 2x on that scenario.

Jobu said:
I have done that too. Unfortunately, the rubber gasket did not stay attached and I had to sift the powder so I would not have tiny bits of gasket material in the jars. Got fried 2x on that scenario.
After going through this process once, I can really sympathize with that.

If the pods have been frozen a while odds are the seeds wouldn't be good anyway. You're doing plenty by powdering them up. You'll get used to the surprise "burns" that happen. I no longer wait to open the grinder...but that helped when I did. Moving outside all together works too. Almost all my drying/powdering happens on a folding picnic table on the back porch now. If I can get caught up on my powdering I'll lend a hand. See you Friday brother!

Back