• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers are growing...Nesco dehydration question

Hello all,

I have some plants a growing out the back and I'm thinking I'll probably dehydrate them to either make into powder or keep dried.

I know the Excalibur is king but I've also seen good reviews for Nesco machines from a lot of people. It's only going to be used a little bit as I'm not a huge grower but I do want to preserve my crop in some form until next growing season.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you use Nesco machines, which model and how long does a full batch of peppers take to dry out?

Thanks!

I bought the Nesco Gardenmaster. Last year was the first time I used it to dry
peppers. It takes me about 2-3 days, depending on thickness of peppers. I dry
at a lower heat setting. It works just fine for me. I suppose if you dry at a higher
heat it would take less time.

I have a nesco FD-80. For a full load of peppers (jalapeno), it takes me 12-16 hours. I love this model nesco. The temperature is adjustable, and the motor is so quiet you have to stand right next to it to make sure it's still working. Lol... I have walked into the kitchen a number of times and had to walk over to it and check it. I would recommend this one to you. Spend the extra money and get the years of worry free use.

I've invested in the American Harvest FD-61 for this year. Haven't used it yet. But after reading the reviews it has to be better than my no name fanless model from last year. From what I've read can't go wrong with Nesco after some trial and error and pin pointing actual drying times.

I must admit, I am working off a full load... like Nothing else will fit. Habaneros take less time. I will let you know exactly how long, as I am doing a huge load with 4 trays right now. I started at 6 and it's almost 11 pm right now. I have checked them a few times, the last one about a half hour ago. There is still alot of drying to go. I am turning the temp down to 135 degrees before going to bed and will check them in the morning to give you an update. I am powdering, so I have to have the dryest product possible.

Total drying time: 18 hours. I did do enough peppers to make 1 1/2 cups of pure habanero powder. It was good stuff too... lots of aroma and flavor.

Back