Peppers aren't very hot?

spicefreak said:

Same amount of capsaicin but more water means it'll feel milder and actually be milder but, since they're measured dry, it won't rate milder or, for that matter, cook up any milder.

LordHill said:
So stressing with drought isnt making them seem hotter, it is bringing out the actual heat, and watering more is making them seem less hot by watering them down?

spicefreak said:
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure that stressing them doesn't lead to greater capsaicin production but certainly more water will make the raw pepper milder without affecting its cooked or dried forms.
Here is why I disagree with the notion water somehow offsets capsaicin in a pepper and for the sake of argument the following applies to all quotes above.
Based on scoville, there are not enough drops of water in a pod to create the swing in heat I have witnessed. You would literally have to lose 1000s of drops of water to go from, (so so heat to breathtaking). I theorize that when drought hits an annuum pepper plant,  the plant starts producing more capsaicin in an attempt to make its fruit most unpalatable to anything that  would seek to finish its line while its environment is already threatening the same. However, I do not have a theory as to what happens to that same capsaicin after the plant takes on water.
I have taken several jalapenos from a given plant on several occasions all prior to watering and the resulting peppers were very very hot for their variety. I have also on the same number of occasions removed peppers from the same plant and of the same maturity after watering and the heat was substantially diminished. The mild pods in question would have to absorb a gallon of water to offset the capsaicins effects in accordance to scoville and my reseptors. That is why I do not agree with water being the diluting factor in a peppers heat.

Back