• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

" Peppers better than poinsettias?"

"Peppers better than poinsettias?"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/homestyle/11/29/hot.flowers.ap/index.html

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- Watch out, poinsettia growers. With their vibrant colors and spicy edible peppers, small chili plants developed by a New Mexico researcher are turning up the heat on traditional holiday plants in greenhouses and nurseries.

The ornamental chili plants go far beyond the green and red of the state's signature crop.

Paul Bosland, professor of horticulture and director of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, breeds ornamental chilies with holiday-specific colors, including peppers that turn from orange to black for Halloween, yellow to orange for Thanksgiving and red to white for Valentine's Day.

There's a long history of chili plants being given as holiday gifts in the Southwest, he said.

"In the 1800s and even up to the 1920s, people would give chili plants as a Christmas plant because (the peppers) would have the red and green colors. Now, the holiday plant is usually a poinsettia, and ornamental chili was forgotten," Bosland said.

"New Mexico is famous for its green chili, red chili, cayenne and jalapenos, so why not add ornamental chili to the list?"

The plants can be used in the same manner as traditional holiday plants, either placed around the house or as a table centerpiece. After the holiday, they can be planted outdoors in the spring.

The majority of Bosland's research is devoted to developing chili for disease resistance and the color-extraction industry. Many chili farmers did not initially like the idea of Bosland creating ornamental plants when he began tinkering with it 20 years ago.

"They would tell me `Spend your time on disease resistance' or `Just do (ornamental breeding) on the holidays,' but then a chili processor said `Hey, if someone sees a chili plant on their table, they'll think of making enchiladas or chili sauce. They'll see the plant all the time.' You can't buy advertising like that," Bosland said.

To further the marketing reach, each ornamental variety contains the word "NuMex" in the plant's name, such as "NuMex Christmas" or "NuMex Halloween."

Bosland said it takes at least five years to create the colorful end product.

He has been working with Sunland Nursery, a wholesale company in Las Cruces, to breed the color-changing varieties and to get the plant to customers at independent garden centers in New Mexico and Texas.

Several hundred of Sunland's organically grown, ornamental chili plants recently hit the market, and the response has been good, said Jeff Anderson, head grower at Sunland.

"It's like a new crop. There's always hesitance with a new product because you don't know how it will be received," Anderson said. "But they're just really attractive and small but very showy. They're like candy -- it's a hard decision to decide which one you want to take."

The NuMex ornamental chilies are also spicing up greenhouses and nurseries in North Carolina with the help of one of Bosland's former students, Travis Knoop.

Knoop, special projects manager at Metrolina Greenhouses in Huntersville, North Carolina, introduced the plants to the wholesaler, which sells plants to retailers including Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Lowe's Cos. The plants have been flying off the shelves, he said.

"We grew six varieties in a trial, about 100 pots per variety, and within a 10-day window, we didn't have enough to supply to keep up with the demand," said Knoop, who grew up in Deming, where chili farming is a dominant industry.

Anderson said the ornamental chilies aren't typical flowering plants.

"Well, first off, they're edible. (The peppers) are hot, but not lethal hot, and can be plucked off and used for spice, and the colors are just fascinating," he said. "It's neat to see them change as the pepper matures."

Bosland said the plants can live for more than 10 years if cared for properly. He recommends placing them in an area with abundant sunlight and to be cautious of overwatering.

Although the NuMex varieties are not as popular as other ornamental chili plants on the market, Anderson says it's a matter of time before word gets around.

"I think the NuMex Christmas variety is going to be very, very popular," he said. "They just liven up the house and create interest. It's just like an old, new tradition."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

I always like to grow a few ornamentals for Christmas presents. That halloween variety sounds pretty cool.

Even though NMSU took a lot of "heat" for what they did with the Naga, no school does more for peppers as a whole. Good to see them getting some positive press.

DevilDuck said:
Even though NMSU took a lot of "heat" for what they did with the Naga, no school does more for peppers as a whole. Good to see them getting some positive press.

What did they do with the Naga?

DevilDuck said:
The whole Guinness Book of World Records deal... where it was claimed that they "discovered" it.

Ok, you haven't even got the pepper correct. It was the Bhut Jolokia. And I realize that this, for some sekrit reason, this is a honkin' huge bug up some of you guys' butts. I'm going to ask again, though, where it was that Bosland claimed to have discovered the Bhut Jolokia. The only place I ever saw it worded that way was when the media misinterpreted, as it often does, "got seed and tested it" as "discovered".

The article I read about the whole process carefully points out that it is the people of Northeastern...Northweatern? no no, I think it's Northeastern India, that it is the people of Northeastern India who deserve the credit for growing and developing the Bhut Jolokia.

And, how come none of you ever express the same rumbling resentment over the Dorset Naga?

POTAWIE said:
:rolleyes:The NMSU's own website says that "Professor Paul Bosland had indeed discovered the world’s hottest chile pepper"

Yes, Potawie, a media release. Written by media people. Not by Bosland. An article that also says "According to Bosland, Bhut Jolokia is a naturally occurring inter-specific hybrid indigenous to the Assam region of northeastern India."

I really and truly don't understand your resentment over the admittedly politically incorrect word "discover". Why do you dislike Bosland so? And why Bosland and not the Dorset Naga people?

It doesn't really matter though, there have already been higher SHU tested in Naga Morich.
http://www.nmsu.edu/~ucomm/Releases/2007/february/hottest_chile.htm

Ahhh, but is it a real value, or one more like the old Red Savina record of over 500,000 scovies? Were any of the other of the Unholy Five grown along side it, or even a pepper like the orange habanero that has a generally agreed upon SHU level? I honestly would like to see the Bhut Jolokia, the Naga Morich, and the Trinidad Scorpian (my choice for the 3 hottest) grown side by side under controlled conditions because until that's done, it's all talk and bluster.

I've said many times that I have no problem with Dr. Bosland just the inaccuracy of guinness (and the media) and the lack of credit given to the ones who actually discovered the bhut(yes it was mentioned briefly). Although NMSU didn't write the article, they still post it on their site.
I believe it was NMSU that did the testing on the Naga Morich so it should be as accurate as the bhut test.

Ok, so it's the politically incorrect use of "discover" instead of "found" or "brought to the US"? Because there seems to be a disproportionate amount of disgruntlement aimed at Dr. Bosland and the CPI for a bit of careless wording. Guinness Book of Records..well, geeeze, do you see the sort of things they certify? Obviously I don't expect as much from them as you do. I wish there was a better governing body for this sort of records, but I guess we have to work with whqat we have.

Although NMSU didn't write the article, they still post it on their site.

Ha! Clearly you've never worked at a large university, the bureaucracy would make Douglas Adams pause in disbelief. If, you know, he wasn't dead.

I believe it was NMSU that did the testing on the Naga Morich so it should be as accurate as the bhut test

Can you, or someone with better Google-fu than me find any information on the web about that? What I found was mostly articles that pretty much plagiarized and condensed the Saga Jolokia article.

I did find some more interesting information here:

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/dorsetnaga-nagamorich-bihjolokia-bhutjolokia-comparison.htm

Have they posted further results somewhere else?

DevilDuck said:
Geez.... I didn't mean to start a debate.

I just said it was good to see some good press.

Debate is a good thing. Vigorous debate is even better, but you can't really do that here. Creative Invective and Art Snarking are delicious and wickedly fun, but there are too many sensitive leettle flowers sprouting on teh Interweb these days for it to be worth the trouble.

So, I'll settle for a debate when I can get it.

POTAWIE said:
Try the chileman's site http://www.thechileman.org/naga_morich.php
or google "1,598,227 Scoville"

Ok, according to that site: "2006 test undertaken by Warwick University UK for TV show Gardeners World. "

So, the questions remain, who grew the Naga that was tested, and under what conditions? I'll point to the Red Savina record of over 500,000 SHUs as why those are important questions.

And, I still want to see a Naga, a Bhut, and a Trinidad Scorpion grown side by side and tested. That's the only way we'll ever really know which is the true hottest.

Ok, it was Mark's (the chileman) Naga Morich seeds that were grown at NMSU and tested at 1,001,304 SHU
I think it was a Dorset Naga that tested at 1,598,227 but like you mentioned Pam, the conditions were not stated.
I really think the Trinidad scorpion will be even hotter but We'll have to wait and see.

Back