Peppers for Mexican Foods

I'm thinking about growing some peppers that you dry for Mexican type foods next year. Some are always easy to find here. Some not so easy.

CNN has 3 types of Pasilla. Pasilla Apaseo , Pasilla Bajio , and Pasilla Oaxaca. If my home work is right Pasilla Oaxaca is mainly a smoked pepper , and it's from the Oaxaca area.
Has anyone here grown this ? If so is there a difference in taste/aroma ?

And has anyone grown and tried a Patzcuaro pepper ? If so any feedback on taste aroma ?

Peace and thanks,
P. Dreadie

Another confusing pepper. In Mexico when fresh they are called chilaca and when dry pasilla. The pasilla bajio seems to be a very mild Chilaca but I haven't grown any of the others mentioned

Often you see poblano/anchos sold mislabelled as pasilla :(

If I'm correct on my thinking poblano/anchos peppers are fatties. They're rounder. The Pasilla are longer and thinner looking.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie, The Pasilla Bajio (long skinny twisting black) is a great pepper for mild smokey flavor (dried and added to soups, moles'). I have grown the Oaxaca but with not much luck but have heard about its great flavor. I could not get either of these two to germinate this year from six year old seed stock.

Good luck

Mike

I've grown Holy Molé a couple times. It was very nice.

Online Description:

'Holy Molé' is the first hybrid pasilla-type pepper, the pepper used to make the famous molé sauce. And as often is the case in first generation hybrids, 'Holy Molé' grows faster, and produces more fruits than the open pollinated pasilla pepper. A reason cited for the higher yields is that 'Holy Molé' has been bred to be resistant to two common viruses that can stunt growth and reduce pepper production.

'Holy Molé' are said to have a nutty, tangy flavor. You can harvest them while still green or wait for them to mature into that familiar chocolate brown color. As with all peppers, grow in warm, full sun.

Actually, it's a mistake to continue to support bad chile taxonomy. If the purveyor can't get it right, buy from a purveyor who can. Chilaca/chile negro is commercially available all over Mexico and each locality has a local name for it. I've had both chilaca and pasilla in Oaxaca and it's very like the same chile in Guanajuato.

I've purchased many seeds from Seeds of Change because they at least bothered to publish the chile species after the commercial chile name. If people who know chile taxonomy pay for and accept bad information, bad information will be forthcoming.

I'm getting a fixation going; Oaxaca, and particularly moles. I would like to find out more about those 60 varieties of chile that are only grown in Oaxaca. By this time next year I'd like to be attempting to make my best attempts at the 7 moles. Wish me luck.

This year I've been growing Chilhuacle Negro, Onza Rojo, Pasillas, Mulato, Cascabel and I've got seed for Costeno Amarillo and Chilcostle, but that's not many.

So if anyone can tell me where to find info on Oaxaca, Chiles from Oaxaca, where to buy seed, mole recipes I'd be really grateful.

And herbs! I can get epazote seed here but any advice on what other herbs and where to buy seed would be great too. Thanks!

Back