• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment Peppers for Salsa by Taste

CURRENT FAVORITE:
1 part Serrano to 2 parts Habanaro

Post your pepper ratio of your favorite Salsa- not the Salsa ingredients.

Thread reasoning:
I'm on a mission of Salsa that just won't stop.
We talk not about any of the ingredients in your Salsa besides the peppers.

So far favorite due to limited experience is:

Here is my current OTL (Opinionated Taste list)
Yellow pepper- cheap white hot clear heat- will work if all there is
Arbol- really good but a bit harsh up front for Salsa
Jalapeno-skin can be cut off to get more pure heat but Serrano seems cleaner- maybe too clean.
Been avoiding Jalapeno for Serrano thinking Serrano is better for some reason. Please post your thoughts.
Serrano-clean heat with an authentic flavor
Habanaro-pungent semi fruit flavor
Peach Habanaro-semi apricot or fruit and the flavor is outstanding in Salsa

Nute said:
CURRENT FAVORITE:

Post your pepper ratio of your favorite Salsa- not the Salsa ingredients.

Thread reasoning:
I'm on a mission of Salsa that just won't stop.
We talk not about any of the ingredients in your Salsa besides the peppers.

So far favorite due to limited experience is:

Here is my current OTL (Opinionated Taste list)
Yellow pepper- cheap white hot clear heat- will work if all there is
Arbol- really good but a bit harsh up front for Salsa
Jalapeno-skin can be cut off to get more pure heat but Serrano seems cleaner- maybe too clean.
Been avoiding Jalapeno for Serrano thinking Serrano is better for some reason. Please post your thoughts.
Serrano-clean heat with an authentic flavor
Habanaro-pungent semi fruit flavor
Peach Habanaro-semi apricot or fruit and the flavor is outstanding in Salsa

I have gotten hung up on the Thai Orange, Tabasco, and Orange Hab mixture (equal parts of dried) for powder but don't know how they would be fresh. This is mixing annuum, frutescens, and chinense species. This gives a good burn all over the mouth and palate but not to hot to handle.

All peppers seeded. I do a 1:1:1:1 of:

Orange Hab, Jalapeno, roasted skinned Jalapeno, Ancho

I mince the habs and the jalapenos. The roasted jalapenos get chopped, and the Ancho is cut into strips and then the strips cut into pieces using scissors.

For family events, it's normally 1 of each pepper. When I do a batch for myself, I kick it up a bit. Normally 2:1:2:1.

Greeny are you roasting them on a grill?
How is skin removed?

Alabama is that fresh Tabasco pepper?
Would dried work or how does dried pepper vs. fresh affect taste?

Thanks!

After they are roasted, you can easily skin them by scraping them with a knife. Skin falls right off. Be careful to scrape and not cut.

As far as the roasting, my brother handles that part. I believe he uses some kind of custom rotisserie setup on his grill.

In my opinion of fresh vs dried, dried powders do not belong in salsa. The great thing about salsa is that you have this bowl of absolutely fresh, moist, and live veggies. Why tarnish it with a dead dried powder.

Nute said:
Alabama is that fresh Tabasco pepper?
Thanks!

I have not tried the combination fresh for salsa but I don't see why you couldn't use it and get the same burn and taste...if the dehydration process changes the taste of the pepper.

I do not see fresh Tabasco peppers at the store so was thinking I'd be able to get a taste by adding some dried in the recipe?

rainbowberry said:
I would have thought Scotch Bonnets would be great in a Salsa, nice and fruity and not as hot as habs.

The mixture I use is new to me...I just was mixing powders from what I had grown last year and stumbled across this mixture, but it is good. It lacks the front burn and that is where I think the tepins will come into play. Remember, this is pepper powder spice and I have not tried the mixture in salsa. I did try habanero/seranno mix in a salsa last year and it lit me and the wife up......:mouthonfire: The burn was mostly middle to back of mouth....

Ala,
Thanks for bringing up burn location.
The basic yellow peppers seem to burn up front, habs middle.
I over did some Serrano and it seemed a bit of a white heat compared to Jalapeño.
Jalapeño has thick skins and I'm not sure if the flavor-heat is not as good as Serrano or if it was the skins?
My next Salsa will have 2 parts hab to 1 part serrano since the serrano was more cheap and basic painful white heat. These last Serrano's were huge with mass red capsicum in them.

Has anyone a summary for the difference between Jalapeños and Serranos in Salsa? Removing the skin or seeds for flavor or flavor differences.

Has anyone tried peach habs in Salsa?
They are very fruity and it comes right through in the Salsa.

Jalapenos have the best flavor to me, but right now I can't get away from my roasted orange hab salsa.(roasted on the grill, preserved in vinegar)

I agree that fresh salsa is best, but it is the dead of winter here. I have no problem puting some dried red jalapeno powder in to complement whatever else is going on.

And greeny, if you refer to my dried red jalapeno gold as "dead dried powder" again, I think we may have a serious dis-agreement!;)

Back