• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

peppers from Madagascar

I have wondered about that myself as there should be some landraces somewhere, but have never heard anyone talk about any pepper from there.  I assume that one of the gurus here might know of some, Madagascar is one place that is not really well traveled by tourist and or collectors.

I got 2 varieties from Madagascar which were collected by a pepperfriend who went on holiday there, Sakay Green and Voat Siperifery. Although I'm not sure if the names are correct, he collected them at a local market.

the sakay is a capsicum and the voat is not from what searching came up with. do you have any pictures of the sakay?

I saw a Madagascar paste recipe that said sakay. It called for red peppers ground ginger garlic and oil. sure sounds good.

they should have some Frutescens like pili  pili i seen it long time ago.
also the locals living their will most likely have "domesticated" varieties for market use. 

Nightshade said:
the sakay is a capsicum and the voat is not from what searching came up with. do you have any pictures of the sakay?
Don't have pictures at this moment, will have to look them up. I think he has posted them on the dutch forum. Haven't grown them myself yet.

madagas3.jpg

madagas2.jpg

madagas1.jpg

Not the best pictures but these are the ones he posted then. The one at the bottom is the Sakay.

Back