• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Peppers in a grow tent

Hey everyone ...just thinking ahead and looking to purchase a grow tent..

I have a 600w sun system HPS and would like to purchase a grow tent instead of growing out in the open in my basement ..

Would I be able to realistically fit 5-6 pepper plants in a 5w x 5L x 6.5h ? I can fit bigger tent in basement but from my research one hood with a 600w bulb can cover 25sqft in a grow tent ....

I have never grown anything in a grow tent and the wife wants me to contain the growing instead of having it open in the basement during the winters...

5' w X 5' L? Depends on the peppers you want to grow, I suppose. I have a jalapeno that is almost 6' tall and 2.5' wide. You may be able to fit 4 that size in there, but you'll have trouble actually getting in there and tending to them..... Unless you keep them in small pots to control their growth.

i agree with buzz,  but at the same time if you 'top' your plants and prune them you could fit more, but that leads to less pods.
there is a post on thp about square foot gardening, you should check it out, they have theirs outside, but it would give you a better idea of what you are looking for

Yeah plan is to use 7 gallon pots...as long as I can fit atleast 4 in there...I can always go with a slightly bigger tent if need be, I just want to stay in the capability range of one hood which can cover roughly 25sqft in a tent...

Edit..thanks magicpepper, I will look for that thread...

7 gallon pots can potentially grow huge plants. Someone on here will be able to help you make it work out fine, I'm sure.

HP22BH said:
What are you planning to grow and how long do you intend to keep them in the tent?
Havnt decided that 100% as of yet.. I have some seeds on the way from Judy, so maybe some jolokias, scorpions or reapers...

Or I might take my best performer from my outdoor grow and move into tent to keep it going ....as far as length of time just over winter which here in Michigan is about 6-8 months...

Edit..love your avatar!!!!

The reason I ask is I have seen some absolute trees and depending on what you grow and how long you intend to keep it there will determine how many. I have never grown in a tent and cannot see myself ever doing so unless you choose to call a green house a tent, as I feel it would be a limiting factor in accessibility to ea and every plant. But I am not talking about a half dozen plants either. My indoor grows tend to be a little excessive.

Thx for the compliment of the avatar.

Depending on how much you care about aesthetics, you could probably build one for much cheaper.  If you snoop around in the Grow Tech forum you might find some designs to think about.  Although, using HPS it might be better to have a commercially built one to reduce a fire risk.  I built mine and I can fit 4 full sized hydroponic plants in it under T5 lights or about idk 60 or so seedlings on a makeshift shelf.

HP22BH said:
The reason I ask is I have seen some absolute trees and depending on what you grow and how long you intend to keep it there will determine how many. I have never grown in a tent and cannot see myself ever doing so unless you choose to call a green house a tent, as I feel it would be a limiting factor in accessibility to ea and every plant. But I am not talking about a half dozen plants either. My indoor grows tend to be a little excessive.
Thx for the compliment of the avatar.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you have your indoor grow setup? Thanks my man..

ikeepfish said:
Depending on how much you care about aesthetics, you could probably build one for much cheaper.  If you snoop around in the Grow Tech forum you might find some designs to think about.  Although, using HPS it might be better to have a commercially built one to reduce a fire risk.  I built mine and I can fit 4 full sized hydroponic plants in it under T5 lights or about idk 60 or so seedlings on a makeshift shelf.

Yeah definetly don't want to worry about a fire especially with my baby girl in the home...however I might be able to build a safe one..can you send me or post a pic of your set up or the tent you made? Thanks bud...

Mine would definitely not be recommended for HPS because it's made out of a repurposed stand-alone closet...it's a very thin material that is very cottonlike.  I built a frame for it using PVC pipe and lined it with mylar (bought a 1y X 25y roll for $25).  It has a few ventilation flaps on the sides and I run my electrical cords through the top.  There's also a small fan inside for aeration.  The temperature stays about 77ºF inside it with the flaps open like in the picture or I can run it with it closed and get a steady 86ºF.  Once the BBG7 plants in there now get a bit larger I'm going to buy a second 4 bulb 2ft T5HO light to put in there and run them on alternating timers during the day.  The closet has pockets on the sides that come in hand for storing nute bottles and scissors, etc. It's right at 5' tall, the main reason I have the buckets elevated now is because I don't feel like messing with the height on the light.

20140622_233036_zps02e0vy4o.jpg

20140622_233123_zpsfmitehqy.jpg

Here's a pic from a few months back with the seedling shelf in it, I basically set a piece of glass across buckets.

20140417_180858_zpsa5502898.jpg

I spent maybe $35 making it.

Dude that is awesome !!!!!...what kind of buckets you have there? Also, how do he peppers do under the T5's? I heard great things about those lights and growing peppers under them. They are probably more economical then my 600w HPS...

Also, your material is the same as grow tents are lined with which is the Mylar so it should be able to handle the HPS...unless your talking about the repurposed closet that would be prone to fire with a HPS...

Back