• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Peppers in soy sauce

I've had some kind of infection and was confined to the sofa for a few days. It gave me some opportunity to do a bit of youtube-browing and came across a few interesting youtube channels. I was completely unaware of a pepper preparation by "Guangxi grandma", who stores peppers in soy sauce (+ some sugar). The peppers are then consumed straight from the jar or added to a stir fry. Is anyone familiar with this type preparation, and does it have a particular name?

Here it the complete video, the actual preparation begins around 4:40

Think it maybe called "Paojiao" which translates to pickled pepper.

I'm very unfamiliar with Chinese traditions and cuisine, but what google shows me when searching for "paojiao" is something else, and indeed corresponds more to "pickled pepper".

After some searching, I found a lead on Amazon JP, which has an option to show content in Chinese and so gave me some characters to play with. "广西特产酱香味五彩泡椒" (Guangxi specialty sauce flavourful colourful pickled pepper) gives lots of hits from China for me. Also on Youtube (I don't understand what they're talking about though):

Most hits, however, are linked to "特产酱香味五彩泡椒", not to Guangxi, and I'm given the impression this type of "colourful" pepper (5-colour pepper ?) is generally pickled in soy sauce.

I have not heard of this, and I'm not familiar with Chinese traditions either, but this scares me a little. The pH of soy sauce is 4.4 - 5.4, and sugar is 7. Not a safe range for "pickling". But, the Chinese have been pickling and fermenting for thousands of years, so who am I to question, lol.

Last edited:
I have not heard of this, and I'm not familiar with Chinese traditions either, but this scares me a little. The pH of soy sauce is 4.4 - 5.4, and sugar is 7. Not a safe range for "pickling". But, the Chinese have been pickling and fermenting for thousands of years, so who am I to question, lol.

Initially, I didn't see the process as a fermentation, but more as an infusion of peppers with soy sauce for taste (I have very little practical experience with intended fermentations). But it does make sense... Soy sauce as starter, just a very high relative amount... I guess (because I'm hypothesizing here) that the high salt concentration and high relative amount of fermenting micro-organisms in the soy sauce give the fermenters an edge. Perhaps this only works if the soy sauce is not pasteurized, because otherwise fermentation depends on the wild-type fermenting micro-organisms from the peppers and soy sauce is just a "fancy" brine source?

Back