• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers in Trouble Again

Hey you all, I just posted a few days ago about some brown spots on my peppers and it looks like whatever it is has spread fast and taken over ... looks more like it is attacking the outer edge of the leaves now.

It has spread from a few leaves on two plants to all leaves on all plants in just a few days.  Any ideas?   Thanks for any advice!   Picture below.

http://prntscr.com/bj7hmu

Without much to go on (take it with a grain of salt) it seems like a nutrient issue. But I have to ask and I'm sure someone else would want to know... what size are those pots? I noticed they are only half filled. How long have those plants been in there? I noticed they are made in the USA, +1  :)

Not saying you can't grow a big plant in a small pot (generally), just that situation takes a lot more care and fine-tuning on feeding/watering (not much give for error, unlike with a large pot/soil). Even if you give additional ferts, there may not be enough buffer to handle it if feeding heavy... Just a thought

What is your soil/medium made of?

Do you add nutrients at all, or is it just your soil feeding the plant? If you add nutes, what do you feed your plants? How much? How often?

PS: sorry if those pots are actually large, it may just be my perception.

If it is too much ferts...as my tomatoes experienced early on this year....Give them a good flush. As in, water them until it pours out the bottom for a minute or two. My problem was nutrient lock. Too many salts caused my plants to be unable to take up nutes causing weirdness (purple veins, atypical browning of leaves etc) They have since recovered quite a bit except for one which I may not have flushed enough.
-
Or...have you sprayed them for bugs? If you spray during the day, you can burn your leaves. Also, I learned (the hard way) that Spinosad can be very hard on the plants. My plants did not react well to that. Really messed them up for a while.
-
Speaking of daylight, too much sun can scorch leaves in hot weather so maybe move a couple off to shadier locations and see if the new leaves look better.

Thanks you all.  I brought them in as little plants for the winter and they almost completely died so I rushed them back out at first light of spring, re-potted them in fresh soil and they took off like crazy - haven't added fertilizer or applied any sprays or anything.

I used Miracle Grow potting soil because the last 2 types of organic soil I used didn't seem to have enough nutrients in them and they loved it at first but now its been around 2 months and this is happening.

I need to add some more soil and top off the pots, but do you all think that they could have gone through the the amount of fertilizer in the soil that fast?

calcium deficiency

magnesium deficiency

nitrogen deficiency

basically those plants are hungry, also lookin root bound (u need bigger pots)

you have 2 approaches,

bottled: get some calmag and some decent 2 part fertiliser grow and bloom and use as the label says (there are a few lines that buffer ph(ph perfect i think is the term),

semi organic:

epsom salts (magnesium) and garden lime/whatever calcium stuff they have

get some worm castings or any other kind of slow release animal poo ferts

good luck

People always blame ferts. When in fact to much ferts will manifest first in the new growth not the old growth. Deficient ferts will show in the old growth first as the plant will direct the ferts it has available to support new growth. And looking at the pics the newer growth is green where the old growth looks very poor. You need to feed your plant some cal/mag for sure, and a good dose of micro nutrients! Also check your soils pH and make sure its around 6.3-6.5 so your plants can take the nutrients up!

SvtCobra said:
  People always blame ferts. When in fact to much ferts will manifest first in the new growth not the old growth. Deficient ferts will show in the old growth first as the plant will direct the ferts it has available to support new growth. And looking at the pics the newer growth is green where the old growth looks very poor. You need to feed your plant some cal/mag for sure, and a good dose of micro nutrients! Also check your soils pH and make sure its around 6.3-6.5 so your plants can take the nutrients up!
mobile nutrients manifest in the old growth as the plants moves those to new growth
immobile nutes manifest in new growth as their is not enough in the soil

N8thaniel said:
mobile nutrients manifest in the old growth as the plants moves those to new growth
immobile nutes manifest in new growth as their is not enough in the soil
  Calcium, sulfer, iron are the only real essential immobile nutrient that peppers use. His yellow problems are indicative of a lack of nitrogen and probably magnesium which are both mobile within the plant. So no matter he needs to feed his plants...

SvtCobra said:
to much ferts will manifest first in the new growth not the old growth. Deficient ferts will show in the old growth first as the plant will direct the ferts it has available to support new growth.

this is the part i was trying to clarify, deficenicy of immobile nutes show in new growth

and yes he needs to feed those plants

Back