• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

peppers insect or wind pollinated?

Many people seem to be concerned about their various pepper plants accidently cross pollinating with each other. I also see many people growing quite a few different types of peppers and don't seem to worry about them crossing. I have seen it quite a few times on the forum that peppers can be pollinated by other plants, even if they are separated by many feet.
So, after looking at the flower strutures and how the pollen drops, it looks very unlikely that the pollen from one plant could fly 20 feet away and pollinate another plant. It might be wind pollinated on the same plant, or very close by plants, but I have to think that peppers are insect pollinated when the plants are, lets say 20 feet apart or more.
Assuming that, what are people doing to keep their different peppers from cross pollinating each other? I have an idea, but I would like to hear from others first on this. I guess if you don't use these seeds to start new plants, it really wouldn't matter, but for me, I'm hoping to keep many seeds for next year.

ive seen more then a few posts on here with guys using screens around each plant. or group of plants that they dont want pollinating with others..
I think one guy was even building poly walls between his plants in his green house to prevent the spread.

I've never done it, but methods I have seen THP members use to isolate include:

-Bagging flowers, branches, or entire plants to keep pollinators out
-"Gel-capping" flowers before they open so outside pollen can't get in
-Putting a drop of glue on closed flowers to stop them from opening all the way
-Separating different breeds by distance
-Moving individual plants indoors etc to let them pollinate.
-Hand pollinating flowers with paintbrush etc

As far as how effective any of those methods are comparatively, I don't know. I would expect that the gel cap and glue methods are the most effective at forcing self pollination since there is basically no opportunity for the open flower to get cross pollinated even by wind...

Back