peppers native to the Philippines

Not so sure what I've gotten myself into and I'm hoping somone here can give me the answers I'm looking for. Any how i received a message on fb from a person in the Philippines who owns a hydro shop. At least i think he does.. Um he messaged me and a asked if he could have seeds from my harvests. Lol... Idk what he thinks i have but i can give the dude ton of unisolated seed. I told him i could part with a couple true strains as well but never told him what i have yet. He said he knows my pods are loaded with capsaicin and he would love something that hot. I told him I'll gladly send them and asked what they grow there. He said there is some green chillies and few others they grow around his village. Lol... What I'm wondering is, is there anything specific i should try to attain from him or do any of you know what types of chillies are native to that region? I don't know much about there culture or the peppers they grow. I figure i could be missing out on something great and want too find out.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Thanks a bunch! I was getting ready to digg around here in a few and see what i could find as well. I'm interested in them and figure if he can send it I'll grow it to find out.

If I get a chance to go fishing this week, I can ask my wife's Aunt what sort of peppers are native. She's from the Philippines so might know of some varieties.

Doesn't sound like he's after Filippino varieties, it sounds like he wants the ones you have ;).

I'd say he'd be fine with 99% of the choices out there, except for maybe pubescens if he's in a hot climate.

Jetchuka said:
Doesn't sound like he's after Filippino varieties, it sounds like he wants the ones you have ;).

I'd say he'd be fine with 99% of the choices out there, except for maybe pubescens if he's in a hot climate.
Yeah lol.. He wants what i have but i want to try what they have. Unless it's attainable here.

Edit: don't think he has a clue how hot the ones I'll be sending will be. He might have an idea but won't know till it hits his mouth in 6 months. Lol

Dulac said:
The Siling labuyo seems interesting imo.

I'm down bro! That's exactly What i thought. A couple times I've grown " Tabasco" peppers and they looked very similar. They had long skinny stems and when "perfectly/over" ripe the pods would fall off the calyx. It was a fine line between but a hot little bastard as well. Tbh they had a nasty chemical taste of them. Idk if they were true " Tabasco" peppers or not but never had a comunity to compare profiles to. None the less it was a very prolific plant that resembles the ones pictured here. Can't hurt to give it a try. Lol...
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
I'm filipino And those are the only two I know of.
They good?

I grew tobasco peppers last year. Super prolific, but I don't think they taste all that great. I wonder what Siling labuyo taste like. It's also hotter than the tobasco.

To be accurate-----there are no peppers "native" to anywhere except south america.
Like asking what kind of corn is native to africa or tobacco native to india.

What variety has been shaped by the local culture and people-----yup.

I haven't really heard of a cultivar that would occupy the place in the Philipines like the booie to guam, the naga to india, the thai's to---well thailand, or the tabasco to the us.
Not from there, so not saying there isn't one.

There are members here who would know---maybe a village that has a specialty grown for generations by a couple families.

Better hurry though---I sent a package of free seeds there of numerous varieties and I am sure the proliferation of foreign peppers will eventually pollute the genome. :fireball:

the native here in ph is siling labuyo, its a small birds eye chili and i can say its hotter than thai birds eye. and the best kind of these is like in the forest. which only grows naturally and planted by the birds.

Just curious if any of you received  seeds and grew Labuyo??
I have a few growing in pots..Sewed them 3 weeks ago.. 

labuyo6.jpg

Anyone want some pods for seeds,give me a shout.

I bought a Siling Labuyo plant last year from Chileplants.com. It grew just like my tabasco plant but it seemed like the local animal life liked them more than the Tabascos. I really didn't get too many. I didn't save any seeds because I felt like I would just get another plant from them again for this grow season coming up. It is a nice tasty frutescens pepper which grows and looks very similar to tabasco but is a little hotter (from the few I actually had).

I agree NO Pepper is a native Species or Variety.
But several ARE Landrace as far as I know.
Most are versions of Siling Labuyo or? 

Siling Haba , Siling Laura and a few others,that without checking I can name.
A LOT look like MAYBE land race stuff that came from stuff like the De arbol type peppers,as are a lot of the Thai stuff.

I think it is very interesting to get Land Race stuff from the source.
Doesn't matter,since most peppers came from a certain source at any specific time.
Without Gene research,everything is speculation or internet B.S. by armchair experts or?

My seed stash is pretty cool,as far as Variert goes.
A LOT are very similar to stuff from other places.
IF you can follow the trade routes,way back when.
I think a LOT of Land Race stuff all started from stuff that was of value at the time it was possibly introduced.

I have no clue,BUT THINK a lot of the same thing was traded or whatever in any place at whatever time.
Now the same seeds have had time to become Land Race AND OR cross with whatever was around at the time (very few varieties).
Bhut Jolokia is a great example.
It can be gene tested for a Chinense test with an Annum X , BUT in another place it's a Frutescense X Chinense,
All the history is lost or of no concern these days.
Crosses of anything rule.
I think the WILD crosses suck the most.
Nothing wrong with an isolated cross,BUT also isolate the wild.

I have several Phillipean varieties.
Most were from Vendors,but a lot are from market pods.
I doubt I have enough to trade though.Not until I grow them out.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
If anyone wants any white labuyo. PM me...I also have labuyo from different regions of the Philippines
I'd take you up on that but I'm already planning on growing a white frutescens from Malaysia.

I have several Phillipean varieties.

What is  Phillipean?
If you mean species well known in the R.P,what are they?? Very few hot peppers here that I know of which is still a bit of a mystery to me given the climate.

Back