peppers not growing as much as expected

CHOCOLATE HABALOKIA  
PLANTED ON NOVEMBER 14 2017
Today (jan 25 2018 )  and the plants are  2 inches high 

CAROLINA REAPER
PLANTED ON NOVEMBER 28 2017
1 inch high   ( disappointing !) 
(the leaves of some seedlings are turning to yellow) 

TRINIDAD MORUGA SCORPION         
PLANTED ON NOVEMBER 28 2017
nearly 2 inches high

BLACK TRINIDAD SCORPION  
PLANTED ON DECEMBER 19 2017 
1 inch high  

I have planted them inside plastic jardiniere planters on the dark earth prepared with mulch that comes from my kitchen garden and it is supposed to be fertile as rose bushes , basil , rosemary , rue ,etc. grow on it.
A couple of years ago I was very successful in growing Capsicum baccatum on the same kind of earth.
The climate here ranges from 20° - 35° (C)  degrees ,  I expose them to sun a couple of hours a day and they are left outside home in shadow all day long (I realized more than a couple of hours exposed to the sun was not beneficial) .
3 weeks ago I planted some seedlings of Habalokia on my kitchen garden just  to see the reaction ;   they´re exposed to sun , rain  , temperature oscillations   the seedlings survived but no growth the same way.
I must be missing something.  
Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC05980.JPG
    DSC05980.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC05979.JPG
    DSC05979.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05978.JPG
    DSC05978.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 69
Overly wet soil or it lacks the nutrients for good grow, i bet the lack of nutrients in the soil and cant have that many growing so close by without any issues, you have to separate them to their own pots by now.

Ron Wolpa said:
how much water a day must be given ?

You dont need to water them everyday, only when you think they need more, you can kill them more faster with overwatering, than underwatering. Let the soil dry some before adding more water, that way you will not overwater them.

But your watering doest seem to be the issue here, it is the lack of nutrients in the soil. Put every chili plant you have in that container to a separate small pots. You can bury most of the exposed chili stems in there too because the stem creates more roots and thus the plant grows even better.

After you put the plants in their separate pots, take note of the pot weight, when you feel the weight of the pot next time and it feels a lot lighter than before, it is usually time to water them again. You can also check the bottom of the pot if there is any holes in there for possible clues, when to water next time around.

Chilidude said:

But your watering doest seem to be the issue here, 

Besides the lack of nutrients , after you wrote me ,   I realize that I overwatered them.
At the beginning I watered very few but after a very hot day that I exposed them to the sunlight , they started to dry up.
In order to prevent prevent it ,   I tried to limit the sun exposition and added more water .
As to ingredients I am looking for in local market an adequate substrate.

Ron Wolpa said:

Besides the lack of nutrients , after you wrote me ,   I realize that I overwatered them.
At the beginning I watered very few but after a very hot day that I exposed them to the sunlight , they started to dry up.
In order to prevent prevent it ,   I tried to limit the sun exposition and added more water .
As to ingredients I am looking for in local market an adequate substrate.

You want something that drains quite fast, like fertilized peat mixed with perlite or perhaps some coco medium. There are numerous good combinations, but overall you want something that drains quite fast and doest hold up the moisture too long, something fluffy/airy medium.

I could find a substrate with the following features : 
- pH: 5,65 ;

-  water retension  51% in vol
- Porosity  ,   total: 76%
- Density in  humidity  50%: 220kg/m3 (humidity  50%)
- Composition  Sphagnum peat 70%,
  torrefied rice straw 20%,

perlite 10%
is it adequated ?  

Ron Wolpa said:
I could find a substrate with the following features : 
- pH: 5,65 ;

-  water retension  51% in vol
- Porosity  ,   total: 76%
- Density in  humidity  50%: 220kg/m3 (humidity  50%)
- Composition  Sphagnum peat 70%,
  torrefied rice straw 20%,

perlite 10%
is it adequated ?  

Yes, that feels airy to me based on the components and you also want some fertilizer to go with it, that is suited for tomato/chili growing.

Chilidude said:

Yes, that feels airy to me based on the components and you also want some fertilizer to go with it, that is suited for tomato/chili growing.
I just hope habalokia & reaper will not strange the transplant from earth to substrate.
I will try to clear the earth but preserving the roots as much as possible before planting into the substrate ;  I´ve done it before as shown on the picture below.  The transplanted seedlings survived.

By the way , is it suitable a fertilizer with compounds below ?

N:...............15 %
P.......................9%
K:..................12%
Mg:................1,3%
S:........................6%
Cu:.....................0,05%
Fe.......................0,46%
Mn:..............0,06%
Mo..............0,02%

Attachments

• DSC05916.jpg
    DSC05916.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 60
Dont really need to clean the roots of the old soil, just put the plant in with some of the old soil without much cleaning. What fertilizer is that called, with such values?

Ron Wolpa said:
 It is a local brand used for growing roses , tomatoes , etc

That will work then and the values are pretty good for chili growing. The very popular chili growing fertilizer here have these values and it is not even intended for any special use:

(N) 13,0 %
(P)  7,0 %
(K)  20,0 %
(Mg) 1,2 %
(S)  4,6 %
(B)  0,02 %
(Cu)  0,01 %
(Fe)  0,1 %
(Mn)  0,1 %
(Mo) 0,002%
(Zn)  0,01 %

Back