• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peppers on the move 2020

Unfortunately for me, the start of my pepper season will have to wait until August due to a move. On the plus side, I will be able to get two growing seasons for the next two years.

In the mean time, I am getting in my stock and keeping it organized. I am going to change my label tag this season to add more info. This are just placeholders for now.

61A7390A-193D-4777-8114-31FE08489B68.jpeg

90E3A54F-EB1D-4023-82B5-E3F3E52070D8.jpeg

Well as most people's peppers are starting to get into high gear, I am finally able to start my season. 

Like so many others, my pre-season seed purchases were a bit aggressive but I still managed a sizable planting:

July 2020 Planting
5 x Aji Amarillo
5 x Aji Cachucha Purple Splotched
5 x Aji Crystal
5 x Aji Fantasy White
5 x Aji Jobito
5 x Aji Mango
5 x Aji Mango Chubby
5 x Aji Panca
5 x Aji Pineapple
5 x Aji Pineapple (second supplier)
5 x Apocalypse Scorpion
5 x Bahamian Goat
5 x Bishop's Crown
5 x Bishop's Hat
5 x Brazillian Starfish Red
5 x CAP 1475
5 x CGN 21500
5 x Congo Trinidad Giant Yellow
5 x Death Spiral
5 x Elysium Oxide Scotch Bonnet
5 x Faria
5 x Farmer's Market Jalapeno
5 x Fatalii
10 x Habanada
10 x Honeypeno
5 x Kashmiri Chili
10 x KS Lemon Starburst
10 x KS White Thai
10 x Piazinho
5 x Pimenta Luna Habanero
10 x Pimenta Trapadeira de Werner
10 x Pink Tiger
5 x Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut
5 x Plamen Sheltyi
5 x Scotch Bonnet Beth Boyd
5 x Scotch Bonnet Foodarama
5 x Scotch Bonnet MOA
5 x Scotch Bonnet WHP
5 x Scotch Bonnet WHP Red
5 x Scotch Bonnet WHPII
5 x Sugar Rush Peach
5 x Sugar Rush Peach Red Round
5 x Swamp Thing
5 x Sweet Apple
5 x Sweet Datil
5 x Sweet Golden Ghost
5 x THSC Black Scorpion Tongue
5 x Trinidad Perfume
15 x White Hot Lime
5 x Zolotisty

Somehow I still forgot to add in an Aji Limon, Blended Lemon, or Citron - maybe next season.

Nothing but seeds in cups at the moment but once I start getting some plants I'll share my germination, supplier, and seed data. I'm just happy that the time is finally here and seeds are in soil.

Cheers!

^^^^^^Like ahayastani said!  Impressive list.^^^^^^^

Are you growing indoors?  Greenhouse?  I see you are in Virginia so I'm just curious how you plan to grow them to maturity.

I’m currently growing outside. The “on the move” part of the equation is that I am currently in Mexico. Should have a larger growing season and be able to overwinter the select few out of the bunch I like.

Edaxflamma said:
I’m currently growing outside. The “on the move” part of the equation is that I am currently in Mexico. Should have a larger growing season and be able to overwinter the select few out of the bunch I like.

Yeah, Mexico should definitely give you a longer grow season than here.  

Tybo said:

Yeah, Mexico should definitely give you a longer grow season than here.  

There are regions where temperatures can drop below the freezing point at night during winter, but as far as I know they never reach brutal lows like -10/20°C.

I should be in zone 8a. That means I will definitely have freezing temperatures. I have some lights I’ll be able to use to hopefully keep them going in the winter but I will need to have seriously thinned the herd by then. I’m hoping to at least get some fruits set before it freezes so I can triage who makes the cut.

I love your seed storage folder! Are they coin pockets? I'm going to shamelessly copy this idea but I may raid my son's pokemon card storage thing instead.

Siv said:
I love your seed storage folder! Are they coin pockets? I'm going to shamelessly copy this idea but I may raid my son's pokemon card storage thing instead.
They are coin pockets! I will say, they are a bit of a pain to pull from, especially when you decide that you are going to sort by alphabetical order instead of the date received. But that having been said, it is a lot prettier to look at and keeps small packets of seed from walking away. I think long term it will help me better organize seed lots and plant lineages. If you can, find some heavy gauge paper or card stock to print your labels on. Makes life a LOT easier.

I had hoped to get my breeding database up and running before now but I just haven't had the time. My plan is to evaluate the phenotypes currently in my stock, see what I want to keep and what I want to toss, and then start isolating desired phenotypes. From there I'll look into breeding but it's going to take a few years I expect. If anyone is interested I can share my excel sheet I am using to keep track of everything. Also lets me print out handy labels for the coin pockets. 

As it stands right now, I have tried to document as much information when it comes to my seed source (supplier, website, photos, etc.) so that I can provide the most detailed history possible. 

ahayastani said:
I noticed Scotch Bonnet Beth Boyd on your list. I suppose you sourced seeds from WHP? I got my seeds there and have one plant that is yielding red fruits so I'd be interested seeing your plants in a few months  :)

I did. I would expect there to be a decent amount of variation in the large majority of seed lots. Remember also that WHP also has their Scotch Bonnet WHP Red. Likely have a bit of mixing there.

Unless suppliers are isolating all of their plants with netting (I highly doubt it) there is going to be some cross pollination. That's one of the big reasons I want to try to keep thorough notes so that when something strange shows up, I have some chance at identifying the lineage. I am hoping to find a lead on some decent mosquito netting that I can tent my plants with. I've already seen some people here with some great solutions.

While there's not much to see at the moment, here's everyone all lined up. 

I've got 3 seedlings up so far which is a bit surprising seeing as I just got them in the ground but soil temps are high so I suppose it is possible.

IMG_1762.jpg

My doubts come from the potting soil itself. Not much variety down here and I've found all kinds of strange objects and plants in the bags I used to fill these. They may very well be volunteer peppers that came with the soil.

In the mean time, I have had a terrible time with finding spices in the local markets. COVID has most of the open air places shut down so I guess it's time to make some more powder (jalapeños).

IMG_1763 (1).jpg

Hopefully this time I can avoid pepper bombing the house...

I give my seedlings more shadow. I move them to sunny positions as they grow.

Now is a good time for sowing, as also the night temperatures are quite high. Relative humidity is on the higher side as well because it is the rainy season.

Potting soil is a major PITA! I am lucky in the sense that I know someone who produces (vermi)compost and I buy from him at reasonable prices. If you can't find it locally, there is always Home Depot in the case of emergency, but their prices are not very reasonable compared to the average Mexican income. A lot can be found on mercadolibre, but comparing prices is recommended. I buy all of my perlite of mercadolibre.

I also have problems finding spices here in the South. There clearly are logistic issues, and I believe COVID has a hand in that. There was no chile guajillo to be found here for a full three weeks! Imagine that, one of the most iconic and versatile chiles of Mexican cuisine, not available for such a long time!

These guys get sun from about 7:40am until about 1:30pm and then are shaded the rest of the day. That wall on the right hand side starts to cast a decent shadow. I've been trying to source shade cloth (and labels for that matter...) but have had a rough go of it. 

Believe it or not, this is Home Depot potting soil. Nothing like fishing out a cigarette butt out of your potting mix... Unfortunately this is all there is. I'm going to see if I can get in touch with a local invernadero about better soil once I start moving them to their next pots. 

You may have just given me back some of my sanity with mercadolibre. I hadn't heard of them before! I'll see what they have to offer.

I'm still coming to grips with the grocery store and general availability of goods and produce. Some of the highest quality and freshest ingredients I have ever had access to for some things and then a complete odyssey is required to find others. That having been said, give and take is to be expected in every new situation.

Thanks again for being such a great resource! 

Unexpectedly, from those jalapeños, I have created the most neon green colored dust I have ever seen. Photos really don't do it justice.

IMG_1766 (1).jpg

Also unexpectedly, the powder is sweet almost like candy but with a mild vegetal flavor and only the ghostly presence of traditional jalapeño flavor. 

Any hints on how to bring out the flavor of jalapeños more on my next attempt or was it just the variety? Are reds generally preferred for a powder?

As embarrassed as I am to say it, I underestimated the México heat and sun. My entire first run got obliterated one afternoon where we had highs over 115F (46C).

I have started a new set inside and things have been going much better.
33BD108F-EFB1-4120-8F08-F95B920F3958.jpeg

It may not look like much but 3 weeks in I have over 75% germination. Unfortunately, a few of my seedling appear to be dying off from the top down. The cotyledons shrivel up along with the tip of the stem. After that, even though the roots and base of the stem look great, they never recover.
EE49B722-BBF8-4DFF-BE55-118FBE1323D7.jpeg

However, I have had a few gems that look promising.
E65DE487-5DE3-4336-BF04-860514A2A358.jpeg

It also looks like once I can finally get peppers outside, Ill have my own pest control team.
508E4279-8F3B-4CF1-86DB-02541E6528EA.jpeg

Slow going so far, but hopefully Ill have a head start on next season.

Edaxflamma said:
As embarrassed as I am to say it, I underestimated the México heat and sun. My entire first run got obliterated one afternoon where we had highs over 115F (46C).
Gives another meaning to the term...........HOT PEPPERS. [emoji91]

Back