• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers with unique flavors

I thought it had a fruit loop smell, not flavor. The cumari seed I had last year never
germinated. Luckily I got some seeds for wild brazil from another member here and
it is growing beautifully.

One reason why I decided to grow the Yellow Fire was the hope of finding a different flavour. The idea of drying them and putting them in a pepper grinder intrigued me. I note now though that it is the aroma that is referred to as being similar to fruit loops and not the flavour.

I found post that mentions the red Cumari Pollux pods as tasting like fruit loops:

I thought that maybe I had gotten them mixed up since I was drunk at the time and tasting both and most people say the yellow cumari tastes like fruit loops, so I found the dried pods and tasted a few more and yeah, the red ones taste more like fruit loops to me. The pods are kind of old so the flavor isn't as strong as it was then though. I should have some fresh pods of both in a few weeks so I'll try them and report back.

Cool,

What flavor does the JAMAICAN HOT CHOCOLATE HABANERO have?

You have any wild Brazil seeds to trade? If not, I'll have to post in the marketplace forum.

Thanks
the jamaican hot chocolate has its own flavor that you have to try to understand ,they are hotter than your average hab too, i have lots of seeds for this one

i have a few seeds left for the wild brazil what do you have for trading??

please let me know your friend Joe

if anyone gets a chance to try Australian lantern they will not be sorry there awesome they look alot like aji limon

i love them too

thanks your friend Joe

I found a ripe wild brazil. It was yellow so I figure it's ripe.
Anyway it taste a lot like the Aji Habanero I grew last year,
except the willd brazil is hot. This was the first ripe one so
flavor may not be accurate.

I HAVE SOME WILD BRAZIL BUT THERE STILL GREEN

I AM ANXIOUSLY WAITING I LOVE THEM AND NEED MY FIX SOON!!

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

I noticed that nobody mentioned any C. Frutescens varieties. I've read and been told that Tabasco pods had their own flavour. I grew plants from Tabasco seed that originated from Eden Seeds. The predominant flavour I tasted was that which is also shared by the Capsicum Annuum varieties. I don't know what to make of it as I have only grown a C. Frutescens variety from one source.

Does anyone grow a C. Frutescens for a unique flavour?

I noticed that nobody mentioned any C. Frutescens varieties. I've read and been told that Tabasco pods had their own flavour. I grew plants from Tabasco seed that originated from Eden Seeds. The predominant flavour I tasted was that which is also shared by the Capsicum Annuum varieties. I don't know what to make of it as I have only grown a C. Frutescens variety from one source.

Does anyone grow a C. Frutescens for a unique flavour?
Flavor isn't really C. frutescens' strongest side. some are bland, others have the generic peppery flavor and some are just plain ol' bitter and nasty. C. annuum bird peppers are way better tasting. the sharp peppery ones do go excellent with vinegar and because of that are prefect for sauce making.

I switch my favorite chile every season or so, but the only constant chile I positively adore is the Anaheim! a roasted Anaheim tastes like heaven.

Unique flavored ones? mmm... C. rhomboideum is kinda sweet on the weird side. doesn't taste or feels like a chile. the berries are excellent in salads though.

Flavor isn't really C. frutescens' strongest side. some are bland, others have the generic peppery flavor and some are just plain ol' bitter and nasty. C. annuum bird peppers are way better tasting. the sharp peppery ones do go excellent with vinegar and because of that are prefect for sauce making.

That accurately describes my previous and recent experience with my Tabasco pods. I grabbed a pod off the second plant the other day found it was bitter and nasty. They're on the list to be culled come next season when I need the pots for something that tastes unique (or even just tastes good).

I like flavor of Arivivi Gusano,Wild Brazil,Fatalii,Dominican red habanero,Yellow fire Charapita,Patanero.

Is there a big difference in flavour between the Wild Brazil, Yellow Fire or Charapita pods that you have?

That accurately describes my previous and recent experience with my Tabasco pods. I grabbed a pod off the second plant the other day found it was bitter and nasty. They're on the list to be culled come next season when I need the pots for something that tastes unique (or even just tastes good).

Is there a big difference in flavour between the Wild Brazil, Yellow Fire or Charapita pods that you have?

Compare those two species are very close in taste only different is in heat Wild Brazil is on strongest side. :)

I really enjoy the flavor,heat and aroma of the dried/powdered Mexican (because its from Mexico) Bird Pepper I have. It is a frutescens with small 0.5-0.75" pods. It has a strong (good) flavor when fresh and ripe, but it is too small and seedy to really be used as such. I think it has a much better flavor and heat than most/all(that I've tried) dried annuums. My seed came from a Mexican gentleman who had a relative bring them (as small dried pods) here from Vera Cruz, Mexico. He said they grow semi wild in the area his relatives live. I'm not sure how they compare to other small frutescens.

Compare those two species are very close in taste only different is in heat Wild Brazil is on strongest side. :)

The Maraba (Yellow) pods I've tried have a very similar if not the same strong flavour as the Yellow Fire pods here. The Maraba Yellow won here out of the two by producing 60+ pods after a less than ideal start. The pods appeared like black jelly beans in the height of the hotter brighter months.

I really enjoy the flavor,heat and aroma of the dried/powdered Mexican (because its from Mexico) Bird Pepper I have. It is a frutescens with small 0.5-0.75" pods. It has a strong (good) flavor when fresh and ripe, but it is too small and seedy to really be used as such. I think it has a much better flavor and heat than most/all(that I've tried) dried annuums. My seed came from a Mexican gentleman who had a relative bring them (as small dried pods) here from Vera Cruz, Mexico. He said they grow semi wild in the area his relatives live. I'm not sure how they compare to other small frutescens.
Are you sure it isn't a C. annuum? Mexico is famous for its bird peppers and they're C. annuums (tepin/pequin).

Are you sure it isn't a C. annuum? Mexico is famous for its bird peppers and they're C. annuums (tepin/pequin).

That was my first thought as well, but this is the one he's talking about:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18522-mexican-bird-pepper/

Looks a lot like malagueta.

Ah yeah, there's my old post!

Definitely a frutescens, that's why I don't call it a piquin (it would be even more confusing). My wife still calls it a piquin though, because where she's from all little chiles are called that.

That accurately describes my previous and recent experience with my Tabasco pods. I grabbed a pod off the second plant the other day found it was bitter and nasty.
My Tabascos last season were funny.... sometimes they tasted pretty good but other times they were definitely bitter and nasty. Never had any variety produce such varying flavours on the same plant!

O this one Explosive Ember :)

ExplosiveEmberPicture064.jpg

Back